Search Unity

1. Unity 2020.1 has been released.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We are looking for feedback on the experimental Unity Safe Mode which is aiming to help you resolve compilation errors faster during project startup.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice

Bug Editor keeps reimporting assets without changes

Discussion in '2019.3 Beta' started by jrzancan, Jan 2, 2020.

1. jrzancan

jrzancan

I'm posting this here to see if anyone has the same problem, since I've already sent a bug report.

When I make a change on a script, after saving, the Editor insists in reimporting all the Sprites assets. Even if I didn't touch the Sprites folder or anything like that.

Sometimes even after saving the script and reimporting, the Editor reimports all over again when I click to run the project.

I've already force the "Reimport All", cleared the cache and so on, Editor is still reimporting.

I'm using the Collab, on Unity 2019.3.0f1.

There's a log or something that I can look to find out why is the Editor judging necessary to reimport this assets?

Thank you.

Edit: I'm using Kaspersky as the antivirus, already tried to pause the file checks, but this problem still happens.

Edit 2: Case 1208671

Last edited: Jan 2, 2020
    ZenUnity likes this.
  2. NotEvenTrying

NotEvenTrying

Just upgraded to 2019.3.0f5 today, also having a similar issue - it tries to reimport all my sprites (albeit only in the Resources folder as far as I can tell) every time I compile scripts, enter playmode, or even change some editor settings, like the font. I couldn't reproduce it in a new project, however :\

Didn't have this problem in earlier versions of Unity

Update: I noticed its only reimporting the sprites I use for Anima2d's meshes, so I'm assuming the bug is to do with Anima2d for the time being

Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
  3. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

If you're able to reproduce this, a bug report with a reproduction project would be much appreciated.

4. YKpro

YKpro

upgrade from 2019.2.16f1 to 2019.3.0f5;
    It keeps importing my psd files everytime I hit play in editor;
    really really anoying......
    I am using 2d sprite animation;

// update:
    problem fixed by updating my anima2D to new version;

Last edited: Jan 19, 2020
  5. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

Please submit a bug-report as described in this document:
    https://unity3d.com/unity/qa/bug-reporting

It's important that you report these issues together with a reproduction project if you want them to get fixed. If you don't do it, it might be a long time until someone else reports them or until Unity Technologies find them.

After you submitted the bug-report, you receive a confirmation email with a bug-report Case number. Please post the Case number (number only, not the link) in this forum thread for Unity staff to pick up.

6. YKpro

YKpro

thanks, i found the problem;
    it's because i used older version of anima2d, I updated my anima2d, the problem gone;
    thanks any way!

Peter77 likes this.
  7. NotEvenTrying

NotEvenTrying

In my case Anima2d already was at the latest version, deleting it fixed the issue, but reimporting it brought it up again; I tried reproducing this in a new project so I could send a bug report with a example project, but wasn't able to repro it in a new project :( using Unity 2019.3.0f5 as well.

Peter77 likes this.
  8. alexishcf

alexishcf

Not using Anima2D but I have the same issue

CoCoNutti likes this.
  9. HuldaGnodima

HuldaGnodima

I have the same issue as you. I have an up to date Anima2D and it keeps reimporting assets related to Anima2D when I change a script or test the game. Makes testing much more time-consuming. Has anyone figured out how to fix this?

10. NickZangus

NickZangus

Hi! I've resolved by changing the Asset Pipeline Mode to Version 1 in the editor project settings (using Unity 2019.3.0f6)

upload_2020-2-1_11-15-44.png

11. HuldaGnodima

HuldaGnodima

Thank you so much for sharing your solution! This fixed it for me.

12. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

Considering version 1 is marked as deprecated already, thus being removed eventually, I'm not sure that using v1 is a long-term solution to the problem. ;)

HuldaGnodima likes this.
  13. arkogelul

arkogelul

The tilemap system heavily relies on version 1 as well. On 2019.3 it's barely impossible to paint tiles in a prefab when version 2 is activated. It's worrying since 2019.3 is the best they could come up with so far and it really looks like some kind of tinkering (at least for the tilemap system).

Using version 1 was the "official" solution we sere given to "solve" our tilemap painting problem.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2020
  14. Lorash

Lorash

In Unity speak, "deprecated" often means "stable".

15. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

The team was able to reproduce this. I've reached out to them for a follow up statement.

CoCoNutti and Peter77 like this.
  16. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

17. diliupg

diliupg

I too am experiencing the same happening.

18. nosajtevol

nosajtevol

Experiencing the same. Thanks for fixing the bug!

19. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

This should be fixed in 2019.3.4f1.

20. soorya696

soorya696

I'm using unity 2019.3.5 still this issue exists. This issue is heavily affecting my productivity.

21. soorya696

soorya696

22. TheSixthHammer

TheSixthHammer

Hi I am using Unity 2019.3.6f1 with the latest version of Anima2D (and have migrated an old project from Unity 2017.3). The problem on my end is that Unity keeps reimporting almost all meshes upon each Play of the game, regardless of changes being made.

I tracked the problem down to Anima2D/Scripts/Editor/SpriteMeshPostprocessor::Initialize()
    In this method there is a check if it should reimport all the sprite meshes, which is apparently true for 2/3 of my meshes always.
    Furthermore, the function SpriteMeshUtils.NeedsOverride returns true for 2/3 of my meshes everytime I hit the Play button (without making any change). I executed this:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. Debug.Log(triangles.Length +"         #         "+ spriteMeshData.indices.Length);
    And indeed the values are different.

Since I don't know the internal workings of the system, for now I proceeded commenting out the check (Lines 67-71 in SpriteMeshPostprocessor). This fixes the constant reimporting bug (I suppose it also brakes the detection if the mesh has changed, but for now I will have to do manual reimport everytime I change meshes)

I would be grateful if author can join and propose a solution for this!

sanketprabhu, EGunity011 and diliupg like this.
  23. LittleBlueDot

LittleBlueDot

No it wasn't, I'm on 2019.3.6f1. This is is ridiculous, wasting literally hours a day on this now.

sanketprabhu likes this.
  24. diliupg

diliupg

This

is a valid and great reply!

25. Develax

Develax

I don't think that commenting those lines is a good idea - it could break some of their logic.
    I've fixed reimporting on each Play in the editor by checking if it's playing in the SpriteMeshPostprocessor class in the same method:

upload_2020-5-12_1-4-13.png

now it is still reimporting when some code in the project is changed and saved but it is not on each Play anymore and their logic is not broken.

26. sanketprabhu

sanketprabhu

The issue still exists in Unity Version 2019.3.13f1. Editor reimport the assets with every action in project like Save, Delete, Manage Package etc

27. sanketprabhu

sanketprabhu

Temporary solution:
    Screenshot 2020-05-17 at 5.40.50 PM.png I am using PRO version of unity, and it's affecting worst. The unity team mentioned the issue was already fixed. Not expecting such a careless behavior from Unity QA. @LeonhardP when it's going to fix really?

Last edited: May 17, 2020
    stefanratea97 likes this.
  28. Lostrick

Lostrick

Unity Version 2019.3.13f1 here, latest anima2D
    still same issue, reimporting every time I play, and also broke the meshes textures in anima 2D
    I think I'm gonna downgrade back to 2018

f1chris and sanketprabhu like this.
  29. rmon222

rmon222

@sanketprabhu I'm using Unity Plus, not Pro. I can't find SpriteMeshPostProcessor.cs. Is it only in Pro version?

Edit: nevermind. This looks like it's Anima2D specific.

Last edited: May 23, 2020
    sanketprabhu likes this.
  30. moosefreak

moosefreak

same issue here with 2019.4.0f1 version of unity and latest version of Anima2D 1.1.8. Any actual fixes or patches coming? Anima hasn't been updated in about a year.

31. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

Unity staff said they fixed the original issue mentioned in this thread.

If you still run into the same issue with the latest Unity version (2019.4, 2020.x) please submit a bug-report as described in this document: https://unity3d.com/unity/qa/bug-reporting

It's important that you report these issues together with a reproduction project if you want them to get fixed. If you don't do it, it might be a long time until someone else reports them or until Unity Technologies find them.

Adding "not fixed" to this thread will not make the problem go away :)

After you submitted the bug-report, you receive a confirmation email with a bug-report Case number. Please post the Case number (number only, not the link) in this forum thread for Unity staff to pick up.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2020
  32. meaf75

meaf75

Not fixed, im running Unity 2019.4.2f1

doneykoo likes this.
  33. haga_unity

haga_unity

Not fixed. currently running 2019.4.4f1 - we don't use anima2d

34. mrcraigoman

mrcraigoman

we are having the same problem on 2019.4.4 - We don't use Anima2D and we don't have any issues with our sprites

unityunity