Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. If you have experience with import & exporting custom (.unitypackage) packages, please help complete a survey (open until May 15, 2024).
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity 2019.3.0a12 does not start

Discussion in '2019.3 Beta' started by m0nsky, Aug 14, 2019.

1. m0nsky

m0nsky

Hi guys,

It seems like a lot of people are getting the following error when trying to launch the a12 editor.

It does not matter if you've installed it through the hub or not. The only person I've spoken who has gotten the a12 editor to work, seems to be using a paid/professional license.

Edit
    Tesrym on the Unity discord has managed to find a workaround. I can confirm it works.

2. Deleted User

Deleted User

I'm not having this problem with my personal licence.

Maybe you just need to log out in the hub and log in again?

charlesb_rm likes this.
  3. m0nsky

m0nsky

No, I've tried everything, rebooting, killing the process, installing it without the hub, with the hub, with and without a working internet connection, even reinstalled after it officially appeared on there, and a lot of other people seem to be having the same problem. But the workaround seems to have fixed it.

4. Deleted User

Deleted User

The workaround is logical; I should have thought about it. Sorry. :)

5. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

I'm getting the same error.

Here is the content of the entire editor.log, in case it helps to provide some insight:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. [LicensingClient] ERROR Failed to connect to local IPC
    2. [Licensing::Module] Failed to connect to channel: LicenseClient-crash
    3. [Licensing::Module] Successfully launched the LicensingClient
    4. [Licensing::Module] Successfully connected to LicensingClient on channel: LicenseClient-crash
    5. [Licensing::Module] Successfully launched and connected to LicensingClient
    6. Entitlement-based licensing initiated
    7. [LicensingClient] Licenses Updated successfully in LicensingClient
    8. LICENSE SYSTEM [2019814 19:22:47] Next license update check is after 2019-07-12T08:44:32
    10. Built from 'trunk' branch; Version is '2019.3.0a12 (b073d123dd5d) revision 11563985'; Using compiler version '191627012'
    11. OS: 'Windows 10  (10.0.0) 64bit' Language: 'en' Physical Memory: 8191 MB
    12. BatchMode: 0, IsHumanControllingUs: 1, StartBugReporterOnCrash: 1, Is64bit: 1, IsPro: 0

ROBYER1 likes this.
  6. fherbst

fherbst

Getting the same error.
    I noted that my Hub shows a wrong date for the "Last Update" license field - it's in the future. Not sure if it has always been like this though.
    upload_2019-8-15_10-54-53.png
    Above workaround (deleting the ulf) works and still shows the same dates.

7. tarahugger

tarahugger

Same Issue here.

Also, OPs workaround has completely hosed my account, the licensing page just has a progress bar and all buttons disabled forever. The log shows it finds no files, disconnects and does nothing. Restoring the deleted files does nothing. Signing out and back in doesn't help either.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
  8. JohnC_Unity

JohnC_Unity

Unity Technologies

This has been flagged to the licencing team. Thanks for posting!

Peter77 and fherbst like this.
  9. danielo_unity

danielo_unity

Unity Technologies

The PR that fixes this has landed in 2019.3 backport-staging branch, and so it will be part of the next release (2019.3.0a13, or whatever the next release gets named)

Peter77 likes this.
  10. asadmuzammil77

asadmuzammil77

Thanks I got the same issue

11. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

12. sinaari

sinaari

Oh my, guys, do you even test that what you release can at least start under all valid licensing conditions? I understand that this is "alpha", and, like nobody guarantees anything, but this is a bit too much. Thanks for fixing, of course, but how can I sleep now.

Vagabond_ likes this.
  13. Deleted User

Deleted User

Just use the workaround mentioned in post #1. Do that each time you have a similar problem.

14. RichardEng

RichardEng

I have a similar issue with this version (Unity does not start) on Mac OSX [10.14.5 (18F132)].

It doesn't complain about licenses, but I tried the workaround above just in case. No dice - same issue still. It just closes down immediately upon starting up. No crash as far as I could see, but here is the log:

Code (CSharp):
    2. [Licensing::Module] Failed to connect to channel: LicenseClient-englandrp
    3. Launching external process: /Applications/Unity/Hub/Editor/2019.3.0a12/Unity.app/Contents/Frameworks/UnityLicensingClient.app/Contents/Resources/Unity.Licensing.Client
    4. [Licensing::Module] Successfully launched the LicensingClient
    5. [Licensing::Module] Successfully connected to LicensingClient on channel: LicenseClient-englandrp
    6. [Licensing::Module] Successfully launched and connected to LicensingClient
    7. Entitlement-based licensing initiated
    8. [LicensingClient] Licenses Updated successfully in LicensingClient
    9. [Package Manager] Server::Start -- Port 61914 was selected
    10. Launching external process: /Applications/Unity/Hub/Editor/2019.3.0a12/Unity.app/Contents/Resources/PackageManager/Server/UnityPackageManager
    12. COMMAND LINE ARGUMENTS:
    13. /Applications/Unity/Hub/Editor/2019.3.0a12/Unity.app/Contents/MacOS/Unity
    14. [Package Manager] Server::Kill -- Server was shutdown
    Any ideas?

15. Bastienre4

Bastienre4

I also had crashs.
    I also had some crashs at launch unrelated to licences and I managed to fix it by renaming the last scene I opened the previous time I worked with Unity (aka the scene Unity is trying to open when launching).

16. d10g

d10g

Can you suggest any other workarounds that might work until the next release rolls out? None of the workarounds on this thread work for me.

17. corjn

corjn

Hey, If I read correctly my bug report files, I think have the same issue with 2019.3.0b1
    No workaround is working :/ The editor opens but will crash every 20 seconds.

"
    [LicensingClient] ERROR Failed to connect to local IPC
    [Licensing::Module] Failed to connect to channel: LicenseClient-corjn
    [Licensing::Module] Successfully launched the LicensingClient
    [Licensing::Module] Successfully connected to LicensingClient on channel: LicenseClient-corjn
    [Licensing::Module] Successfully launched and connected to LicensingClient
    Entitlement-based licensing initiated
    [LicensingClient] Licenses Updated successfully in LicensingClient

"

18. AppBite

AppBite

I'm getting the same error in Cloud Build using Unity 2019.3.0b8 (also happens with b7)

Code (CSharp):
    1. 4: [Unity] [LicensingClient] ERROR Failed to connect to local IPC
    2. 5: [Unity] DisplayProgressbar: Unity license
    3. 6: [Unity] Initialize engine version: 2019.3.0b8 (7eb5456f98b4)
    Any sense when this will be looked at?

Milance likes this.
  19. ROBYER1

ROBYER1

Edit: Reported at Case 1197747

My editor is doing the same on 2019.3.0b10 occasionally crashing with no error popup. Check the editor log at 14:29 right after the editor suddenly closed to see

Code (CSharp):
    2. [Licensing::Module] Failed to connect to channel: LicenseClient-Rob Farthing
    3. [Licensing::Module] Successfully launched the LicensingClient
    4. [Licensing::Module] Successfully connected to LicensingClient on channel: LicenseClient-Rob Farthing
    5. [Licensing::Module] Successfully launched and connected to LicensingClient
    6. Entitlement-based licensing initiated
    7. [LicensingClient] Licenses Updated successfully in LicensingClient
    9. LICENSE SYSTEM [2019118 14:29:51] Next license update check is after 2019-11-09T07:49:56

Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
  20. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

There seem to be several issues here. Could you please submit a bug report if you're affected? The team needs the logs to investigate these.

@ROBYER1 I saw your report in another thread and have forwarded it.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
    ROBYER1 likes this.
  21. Krasshirsch

Krasshirsch

Are there any ports which need opening for Unity's licensing checks ?

22. OWL7seven

OWL7seven

I'm getting this issue with Unity Hub 2.3.2 and i'm using the latest 2019.3.15f1 and no workaround is working. i've tried everything.

tonirojasm likes this.
  23. OWL7seven

OWL7seven

this is happening because i m using WiFi or i'm offline. once i change over to Ethernet the server checking that happens goes through and then the editor opens up. why cant i use unity offline??

24. LSPredator

LSPredator

It's very strange. If I disable Wireless connection I have same issue.
    upload_2020-6-9_15-12-41.png
    If I enable Wireless connection the issue is gone.
    upload_2020-6-9_15-12-13.png
    But I am not using Wireless network on my computer.

stark89 and Copy3d like this.
  25. Copy3d

Copy3d

It's useful.....solve my issue

26. stark89

stark89

I can confirm that this is working!
    Wasted and entire day on this

27. XiaoDou

XiaoDou

I have same problem and try a lot can not solve it.Now, consulte this answer,I enabled my ethernet (I use wifi before) and solve the problem.

28. chakaramba

chakaramba

Unity: 2019.3.15f1
    MacOS
    Unity Hub: 2.4.2

I've got same trouble while using in-TeamCity created build pipeline for Unity iOS / Android builds.

At some step, when opening project with command line, next lines appeared and build went hanging.

[16:17:33][LicensingClient] ERROR Failed to connect to local IPC
    [16:17:33][Licensing::Module] Failed to connect to channel: LicenseClient-builder
    [16:17:33]Launching external process: /Applications/Unity/Hub/Editor/2019.3.15f1/Unity.app/Contents/Frameworks/UnityLicensingClient.app/Contents/Resources/Unity.Licensing.Client
    [16:17:33][Licensing::Module] Successfully launched the LicensingClient
    [16:17:34][Licensing::Module] Successfully connected to LicensingClient on channel: LicenseClient-builder
    [16:17:34][Licensing::Module] Successfully launched and connected to LicensingClient
    [16:17:34]Entitlement-based licensing initiated
    [16:17:34][LicensingClient] Licenses Updated successfully in LicensingClient

As described below by @LSPredator, seems like it's an internet connection trouble.

Solution that helped me is to disable ethernet connection and connect to local wifi point.
    Right from this point, build succeed.

29. Sindhuthangam

Sindhuthangam

I'm using a Mac. I downloaded Unity free version, but the license for unity is not found and 'unity hub' is not available in my region. Please help