Search Unity

1. If you have experience with import & exporting custom (.unitypackage) packages, please help complete a survey (open until May 15, 2024).
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

UMA Wizard

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by esaavedra76, Jan 11, 2014.

1. esaavedra76

esaavedra76

hi guys,

please watch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUuBo-In5YA

i am a bit delayed still, but making nice progress. was stuck on a bug for basically three days, thus all the delays. but finally over that, so regaining the time lost.

i know this video only shows a cosmetic change to the gui, but it also shows the animation player. when all is combined with the action scripts that i will show on the next video, some nice adjustments can be made to uma... as you can change the avatar's shape, but is likely your animations won't match. so you can adjust them directly on mecanim (and do it for each avatar), or do it with the wizard by simply adding a script and visualizing the modification. this is also helpful for fine tuning the items.

the way the uma's are selected is now more click based. you can still find them on the selector. the "lock" button is to avoid the uma getting unselected (similar to unity's lock). the "showing" is automatic.

i also fixed the moving breast script.

i will upload more videos with progress. the eta for submission is now this thursday. i guarantee it will be worth the wait.

cheers

Last edited: Feb 10, 2014
  2. esaavedra76

esaavedra76

features by thrusday:

1. the new gui as you see it on the previous video. the animation player will have some cosmetics too, and i haven't shown the item creator window. all of those will be included on 1.20.

2. be able to compile games and not getting errors for using unityeditor namespace.

3. bug fixes from 1.10.

4. item creator

5. action scripts of all kind, i will show this later. this also includes scripts for adjusting the animations, as when you change uma shapes some of them get issues.

6. a very basic play mode scene example and scripts. i will focus on this for the wizard 1.30. for the moment i will provide basic support. for 1.30 i also expect to include NGUI support. please be patient.

i am planing a big demo for 1.21/1.22 which i expect to be ready by next week. so 1.20 will be what you saw on this and some other videos i'll add between today and tomorrow. as bug free as i can make them.

i'm just getting the base code finished to start playing with the fun part: the "wizard" scripts!

thank you for your patience and support!

cheers,

3. TerraEbb

TerraEbb

Fantastic super excited for this when it is ready. Hopefully this feature will work nicely with the UMA extensions we are working on. Keep up the great work and thanks for keeping my request on the list!

4. EmeralLotus

EmeralLotus

Great Work. Very much appreciate it.

No pressure, just a request for future update. If you are supporting NGUI, please also add DaikonForge. (very popular and well designed package that is very easy).

Cheers.

5. Darkbow

Darkbow

Hello Erwin, I setup newest Version of UMA with your wizard followed the Katana Tutorial, but whenever i try and drop sword models on items model drop box nothing happens dose not show name of item underneath, doesn't take model? why

6. Mikie

Mikie

Wizard 1.10 no longer functions. I have UMA(v1.0.10.0) installed. When I click on the Wizard in the menu nothing happens.

7. esaavedra76

esaavedra76

hi darkbow,

let me take a look and i'll get back to you.

mikie,

it should be working. please try changing or refreshing your layout, press "wide" or "2 by 3", etc and try to open the wizard window again. you can go back to your usual layout, is just to send an OnDestroy event to the wizard window. then you should be able to reopen it again. it has happen to me a few times, it's on the hidden bug to-solve list. please let me know how it goes.

8. esaavedra76

esaavedra76

hi darkbow,

ok, got it. this feature was removed from 1.10 and will be back in 1.20. apologies for that! is just two more days and it will finally get submitted. please be patient, once we get into 1.20 all the subsequent work should be smoother and faster.

cheers,

9. esaavedra76

esaavedra76

hi rocki, yes i will look into daikonforge once i do the ngui part

10. esaavedra76

esaavedra76

hi guys,

i made a basic class and several supporting functions to allow you including the uma wizard stuff into your guis. it is very basic, its just the start. this is using unity's gui system. i will support ngui and daikon on the next weeks.

you will build you gui on top of this. i'm not providing a gui system, the ones availble are powerful enough. what i'll do is provide classes, scripts and examples that when mixed with your own gui setup in whichever gui system you use, you'll be able to change shapes, textures, items, etc. please share thoughts.

i am missing reenabling the item system into the wizard, and catching some bugs on the to-catch list. its getting shorter, there are way fewer now. almost done. i know is taking forever, but almost there.

although i'm tyring to stabilize the code for you guys to start building on top of it, i'm aware is not cool to keep change it, so please please for the moment (unless you don't mind), try to avoid writing extensive and delicate code that uses the wizard functions. they may change a bit. i'm still reorganizing. i'll let you know when i expect this to converge and be stable and likely not to change.

as always thank you for your patience! i hope once i add all that i want to put there, the delays will be worth it.

the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sQQIModod4

cheers,

erwin

11. hopeful

hopeful

Looking good! :)

12. esaavedra76

esaavedra76

thank you!!!

13. darrenbellenger

darrenbellenger

Hi, I looked at the 1.2 Basic GUI sample on youtube and thought it was just what I wanted so bought the asset. I've just noticed though that the asset store has the version at 1.1

Do you know roughly when 1.2 might be available on the asset store? Can't wait to have a look at the GUI sample!

14. esaavedra76

esaavedra76

hi darrenbellenger, i'm sorry for that. 1.2 will be submitted tomorrow for revision, meaning that it will be made available to you guys by wednesday more or less (assuming asset gets accepted without problems). thanks!!!

15. Mikie

Mikie

I know I only spent $10, but where is 1.20? Are you finished with upgrades?

16. esaavedra76

esaavedra76

hi mikie, apologies for that. 1.20 will be submitted today, making final tests.

cheers,

17. esaavedra76

esaavedra76

hi mikie, apologies once again, submission got postponed until tomorrow, have one final bug left.

cheers,

18. esaavedra76

esaavedra76

ok, the final bug was found. i disabled several features that weren't >90% ready, so i'll try to see how many of them i can get in, in the next 4h and i'll get 1.20 finally submitted. i have avoided uploading a version when i was aware it could still be modified, hence the delay. but i know that the delay now is more than expected, so i stripped 1.20 of stuff that wasn't totally ready. it basically has everything 1.10 has, plus the new organization i wanted to do, bugs fixed, and some other features ill list and show on videos ill upload today.

1.20 in its current form is stable enough. one or two little things, but they shouldn't impact anything. from now on is putting the features i disabled back in.

i changed the way items will work, integrated the two wizard windows that were separate, and made a final reorganization of the editor gui. i don't expect it to change for a while, so its ready. future updates should finally come often, i'll separate them one week from each other.

in the next hours i'll try to include the kinematicoverride script in the package. i don't think i will have time for the item one, since i want to make it more verstaile. i'll focus on this for the next few days and submit once its done.

please come back soon with more news.

19. esaavedra76

esaavedra76

hi guys, 1.20 is finally on its way! these videos demonstrate its main features:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YsrwT2Vg4s
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_aqutbQK97g
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mje4yckBH08
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3LFphhBE_k

apologies for the delay. i must confess that i did wanted to delay it a bit more in order to include features that were almost ready, or ready but needing testing, but i postponed this for 1.21. now that the base is there (1.20), the following updates WILL be fast. to avoid being annoying now, i will send the stable accumulated ones once per week, probably until version 2. below are the ones scheduled for next week.

i have a super demo in mind, which is basically delayed two weeks already. it should come around for 1.30.

please please let me know if you run into any troubles with the wizard. thanks!

features scheduled for 1.21 (feb. 24):

1. item scripts (no longer a system... you'll see now is better and simpler)
    2. improve the animplayer support for other animators. now it basically only works with the locomotion one
    3. improve how the kinematicoverride script is edited/adjusted.
    4. add the scripts ready but not included on 1.20: itemselector, lookat, healthmanager, close hand
    5. improve the basic GUI script, and include written documentation
    6. initial support for building animator controllers based on independent animations.

known issues:

1. if you change a shape, the animation gets reseted.
    2. when a script is recompiled, you may get key not found errors. to solve: unlock the avatar and reselect and everything should be ok again.
    3. if you enter play mode without saving the modifications, you'll lose them, as your avatar will be reseted into the last save. to solve, don't forget to save! (sorry :$ ). this will be solved on 1.21.
    4. if you compile with and forgot to unlock and deselect, you won't be able to reselect again. to solve, close the avatar wizard window and reopen it again, all should be back to normal.
    5. compiling on webplayer still gives an error... sorry i just realized i forgot that one. it will be fixed for 1.21.

6. if you undo changing an overlay color, you will need to press redraw
    7. if you accidentally delete an UMA, undo it. it should work fine.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2014
  20. darrenbellenger

darrenbellenger

Thanks, I'll check for 1.21 on the asset store on Monday 24th

21. hopeful

hopeful

I really like the direction this is heading! Awesome! :)

One suggestion for the future: plan for custom color palettes. I'm not quite sure how to handle it, but I can see where in the editor and in GUI mode it would be useful to have this or that color palette available to simplify color picking.

For example, I can see where I'd want to have a palette for skin, maybe one for hair, and another one for clothing.

22. esaavedra76

esaavedra76

hi hopeful, thank you for your advice! placed it on my to do list. i'm still waiting for 1.20 to be accepted. hopefully it will be today.

since there is going to be a new uma release in the next days, i will need to rush 1.21, as it also takes its time to arrive to the store once submitted. unity checks all submissions, for everyone's safety of course. so my plans are the following:

1. hope 1.20 gets accepted today, to have enough time to fix any reported issues.

2. submit 1.21 tomorrow or at latest sunday for review. since it takes a couple of days to be checked, it will be available by late mid week.

3. 1.21 will only have the following: (all remaining now goes to 1.22).
    - check against the new to come uma project
    - items!! (currently on that, should be done today)
    - fix the webplayer errors
    - improve a bit the way the editor works on scripts
    - add color guides to the item "placer" and the already available kinematicoverride script. this is actually working already with the item placer as seen on the pic below, need to make it work with the kinematicoverride script

still pending but given priority for 1.22 (due somewhere around wednesday next week)
    - downgrade to unity 4.3.1 (sorry i haven't done this, i am trying to have 4.3.1 and the latest versions simultaneously installed for testing, but haven't had time to set this up)
    - focus on improving as much as i can the play mode GUI scripts (unity GUI).. with documentation. i will focus heavily on this for 1.22. i wanted to do it for 1.21, but i gave priority to items, as they were announced already (and i'm using them on my game :$ ).
    - include the library tagging window

for 1.23 the focus will be on animators. for 1.24 i'll get back to GUI, the basic one, and start NGUI and Daikon support (i'll probably start with daikon first, it seems way simpler than NGUI).

i appreciate any feedback you guys can provide. i'm trying to make the wizard into a framework, that is why everything has taken so much time. the code base is still susceptible to changes, so please only use it, and try not to base code of your own, as it may change. this won't last too much, just be patient. if you notice the amount of separated scripts and the way i'm trying to organize and reorganize is because i'm making way for the framework. it isn't that i don't plan ahead, is that sometimes i realize new stuff, so i need to reorganize again. and sometimes i'm pressured to submit updates faster (as with this upcoming uma project update). we are getting there!
    $Screenshot 2014-02-21 15.38.30.jpg

Last edited: Feb 21, 2014
  23. esaavedra76

esaavedra76

hey!!! 1.20 was accepted, and should be available for download. guys, please let me know asap if you run into any inconveniences for me to fix before submitting 1.21.

cheers!

24. esaavedra76

esaavedra76

Solutions to known problems:

Problem: "IndexOutOfRangeException" when adding overlays (and after that getting a "white" UMA).

if for some reason you are editing a slot, for example the "Torso", and for whatever reason decided to add an "elvenears" overlay to it, you'll get an "IndexOutOfRangeException". i'll try to make the wizard double-check you are not creating any abomination (or at least not in this way) for future versions. meanwhile, you may wish to unlock and click elsewhere in order to get the "Context Tools", and press "Remove UMAW Context". if your avatar gameobject got any children you didn't placed there yourself, please delete it now. in order to restore everything to normal, press the find everything button, and all should be working back again.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2014
  25. Mikie

Mikie

I just put 1.20 into Unity. Your movies still don't match. When I get to point of creating an avatar I don't see the clothes button.

26. esaavedra76

esaavedra76

hi mikie, the clothes filter was still missing some features, so i disabled it. please guide yourself with:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YsrwT2Vg4s
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_aqutbQK97g
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mje4yckBH08
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3LFphhBE_k

(the last four videos)

apologies for the inconveniences. 1.21 will be submitted tomorrow with a fix to the upcoming new uma project version, the item system (that most time consuming) and the slot filter window.

the clothes button just separated the slots and overlays with the clothing filter option at this time. i want to add other features to the clothing part, but that will be done later.

so in other words is the same you'll get with the textures button, just separated on a different tab. so you aren't missing nothing at this moment other than some organization.

thank you for your patience! i know it has been a painful and delayed process, but is just because i want to add features to make this great, and "all good things take time" (at least most of them).

please let me know if you have any inconveniences with the other features.

cheers!

27. Mikie

Mikie

Playing the UMA wizard 1.20 - avatar wizard. Have created an avatar. When I click Meshes, all. I do not see what you have in the movie. Plus, the console is generating 31 errors. Getting very close to asking for a refund.

28. esaavedra76

esaavedra76

mikie, what do you expect me to say, if you need a refund just let me know and i'll have that arranged, no need for the rudeness. do need to figure out how to do so though, but i'm sure that won't be a problem.

while you decide, let me try to help. to which movie are you referring to? the last four were made with the same code that got into the asset store, so you should see the same. please let me know to which movie you are referring to.

i am also improving the asset as we speak, but due to all this confusion with the movies about work in progress features, i'm not posting anymore unless they belong to an already accepted asset. you may wish to consider waiting a bit if the wizard is too awkward for you at this moment, i AM working hard to improving it as fast as i can. if not, as i said, just let me know and i'll arrange the refund.

also, can you please provide the errors so i can more or less know what is happening? you say 31, but that gives me no information to be able to solve this for you, and for any other users that may get similar issues. you can post them here if you want. thanks!

cheers!

29. Mikie

Mikie

As I said "UMA wizard 1.20 - avatar wizard". Hold on the refund.

30. esaavedra76

esaavedra76

ohh, yes, my bad. can you please let me know what feature or at what time it is shown on the youtube video. also, can you post the errors.

please note that you won't be able to compile for the webplayer yet. i mentioned it above, but i probably wasn't clear on this, i know. it's the only thing i can think of that can generate errors when compiling, or at least that i'm aware of. if this is the issue, it was already solved on current code, but since i made changes for the new uma project, which hasn't been submitted yet, i haven't submitted the wizard. seizing this situation, i have been adding other features.

please let me know to which feature you are referring to, and which are the errors you get.

cheers!

31. lebid

lebid

No error for me ... it's a good asset

32. Mikie

Mikie

I am using windows 7. After I have created the avatar and I select it. All I see in the upper left corner of the Avatar Wizard is the name of the avatar. I can't close the wizard tab. It is locked up.

33. esaavedra76

esaavedra76

hi mikie, i decided to submit the current wizard state as it is in order to make the current fixes and features available now. i figured out a method to adjust the wizard to the upcoming changes on the uma project. this change is required as current version uses one function and the upcoming a new one. its a very simple change.

anyway, i would very much appreciate if you can give me more details about the issues you had in order to have them fixed with this submission. can you please post the errors you get when compiling? thanks.

cheers!

34. esaavedra76

esaavedra76

sorry the page hadn't refreshed!!!

you get locked up? mmm, it did happened once, let me figure it out and ill get back to you. what about the 31 errors? thanks

35. esaavedra76

esaavedra76

mikie, im still figuring out what causes the tab to get locked. but one way you can force-unlock it meanwhile, is going to layout and choosing any of the options (including your current one). that should close the editor windows. meanwhile, im trying to recreate an scenario that causes the same issue. ill let you know.

36. Mikie

Mikie

Erwin, I think it is the combination of UMA, Power tools, and Wizard. I did clean install with the 3 this morning. And all is good. Do you have Power tools in your project? I have to be able to create a prefab and then export.

37. esaavedra76

esaavedra76

hi mikie, thanks for the info. i do have power tools, but to be honest i was so focused on new features and all those things that i forgot to retest compatibility! i'm in foolproof stage for this submission, so i'll check that there aren't any interoperability issues, and if they exist i'll fix. i do plan to submit today, but in case i do find somehting that requires some fixing, i'll do tomorrow. i'll keep you posted of findings in case there's something that can be temporarily solved while asset gest accepted. thanks once again!

38. Mikie

Mikie

Erwin, is it possible to modify an avatar that I have created and saved with the wizard. Reload the old avatar and modify it.

39. esaavedra76

esaavedra76

hi mikie, yes! when you press save the recipe is saved with the name you provide as an UMA recipe. if you use a different one, then your old recipe will remain with the previous name and a new one will be of course created. what happens is that the wizard reloads the avatar using the new recipe, but the old one will remain as an UMA recipe where you originally had it. do note that the scripts belong just to the selected avatar. i think there aren't to many scripts on 1.20, but hopefully everybody will start using them with this new update. i will add a "clone" button to allow duplicating everything with both the uma recipe and the wizard scripts.

regarding that, i just tested the fix into the material builder allowing the use of new bones. it works without problems. i'm adding a script to animate the bones you guys leave in the slots, similar to the moving breasts, but for clothing and other gear you implement with slots.

also, mikie you didn't confirm if the issue you had with the tab getting locked was due to you adding a new slot. i found yesterday that there is indeed a bug that can cause the wizard tab to get locked if you add a new slot. this was fixed and will be submitted during the weekend.

40. DAC

DAC

1. New Project - Import package - UMA - Unity Multipurpose Avatar (1.0.10.0)- Ok!
    2. Import package -Asset Store\Erwin Saavedra\Editor ExtensionsUtilities\UMA Wizard (1.20) :

$error_UMA_Wizard_setup.png

Why?

41. esaavedra76

esaavedra76

hi DAC, you must have webplayer as the target output. this is a known issue, which will be corrected in 1.21. 1.21 should be submitted during the next days. still have one bug to catch (using a custom runtimeanimationcontroller during editmode)

meanwhile, please use it in a different project with pc as the target, design the recipes using the wizard, and then copy the recipe asset files back into your webplayer project. apologies for this annoyance. it will be solved to you within the week (as the update becomes available on the store).

the reason this happens is because webplayer (i think there's also another platform), doesn't support GetFile, which is used by the wirzard for generating the UMA folder and configuring all the slots, overlays, etc. for you. do note that if you are using the wizard for generating the UMA folder and its libraries, you can change the target to PC, use the wizard to generate the UMA folder, create the uma's, delete the extension folder (sorry for that), and then change the platform back to webplayer. this should work meanwhile. apologies once again.

cheers!

42. esaavedra76

esaavedra76

well, it actually appears i smashed the bug!!! actually, it was more a workaround, but it works. i'll do some final tests and very likely submit in the following hours.

cheers!

43. esaavedra76

esaavedra76

hi guys! well, 1.21 is on its way. it will take a few days for the asset store guys to review. hopefully it will become available on the store by monday or tuesday. as i stated before and to avoid confusion, all the related videos will be private until the asset gets accepted. nevertheless, i'll post them here, you just won't see them on the youtube channel.

so, this is the video provided to the reviewers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UM_4wRWWzc

please note it only shows the stable features, and 70% of what's new in 1.21 is considered to be in BETA. this means it works, but it is very likely small changes will be made to it. nevertheless, the changes, if any, should be "small".

i will spend the next days making videos regarding the new features, those will have audio! once i'm done, i'll start working on the next update, that will focus heavily (and finally!) on GUI. the idea is to transfer as much features possible from the editor mode wizard into the play mode GUI for you guys to use on your games if you deem so.

i will attempt to get as close as possible to this:

(2:35) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2q1WNa0s1A

any input is appreciated. from now on i'll also start adding avatar related scripts. in case you need them you will be able to easily add them. i included two, they are very rough, and you need to configure them manually, the wizard will just add them or remove them. this will be explained on a video. the scripts are third person camera and a basic controller required for both using your own animator controller and the item/inventory system proposed (and in BETA). the videos will explain. i'll start uploading them as private but will post the links here. once the asset (1.21) gets cleared, i'll make them public.

so, for 1.22 focus will be GUI, polishing one or two things available in 1.21, fixing bugs.

i'll implment some kind of wishlist thing for you guys to drop suggestions, and desired scripts for the avatars.

please share comments, whether they are good or bad.

cheers!

Last edited: Mar 13, 2014
  44. esaavedra76

esaavedra76

btw, 1.21 is configured to be used with the new UMA, which should become available anytime now for us all. a bunch of warnings will appear (but no errors!), which is due to the way UMA was reconfigured now. all theses should go away for 1.22.

so, 1.21 should work out of the box with the upcoming UMA project. if for whatever reason you want to use UMA 1.0.10.0, then there is a .txt inside the wizard that explains what to do, basically three small changes on three scripts (in the first line, removing some comments).

also, 1.21 was compiled against Unity3d 4.3.1, i know some of you needed this, sorry for the delay!

cheers!

45. esaavedra76

esaavedra76

ohh, and finally i'm aware we can now make slots (clothing, wings, etc.) with bones and add physic effects. i actually tested it myself already, but the script still needs some work. this will be available for 1.22.

46. hopeful

hopeful

It all sounds great!

I've been looking forward to this UMA release for a bit. One, because we'll start to get updates on the Wizard, and two, because once it's out Fernando can start working on his "how to make a new race" tutorial.

I also suspect these needed developments in UMA were part of what's been holding up UnLogick's wings and tails package.

47. esaavedra76

esaavedra76

hi hopeful, yes as i understand unlogick required the bone issue sorted, which is available on the new UMA version. i imagine they will release the wings and tails any time soon. my intentions for the wizard are to be able to add physic scripts into the bones to give some movement to clothes, hair, etc.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2014
  48. Venged

Venged

Great looking asset!

Can this be used in the same project with UMA Power Tools and or UMAzing Assets?

Thanks!

49. esaavedra76

esaavedra76

hi guys, i made a very fast preview video of the item/inventory system. its in beta an missing some features, polishing some more. i'm still deciding if the itemmanager should be added per UMA or as a global variable. anyway, i'll explain the concept on the following days for you to share comments if you wish to do so. meanwhile, this is the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQizlfWB8Mc

this IS included with the 1.21 submission. both the katana and the gun are very simple assets. the katana is made by me, the gun was taken from blendswap. it is a cc0 license, but a link to its creator is included on attributions.txt inside the Assets/Accesories folder. i will include several assets of my own for you to use. i'm no artist, but i'm sure i can make somethign decent, but that will be done progressively.

cheers!

50. esaavedra76

esaavedra76

hi venged, you shouldn't have any problems with power tools. nevertheless i didn't retest this time. will do so and make a video, but there shouldn't be any problem. the only thing is that the wizard assigns the default umagenerator. 1.22 will detect if power tools is present and provide the option to use PT's umagenerator. what this means is that meanwhile, you will have to assign PT's generator manually after the wizard builds all the environment variables, but this is super easy. i'll make a video showing how, i just think PT's will become updated, as the UMA project just did!

i haven't tested yet with UMAzing, once i do i'll let you guys know.