Search Unity

UMA - Unity Multipurpose Avatar on the Asset Store!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by FernandoRibeiro, Dec 24, 2013.

1. Jaimi

Jaimi

I don't think so, but I don't think it takes a lot of time to just rebuild them, does it? Anyway, I'm not an expert on Asset BUndles, maybe one of the other developers will chime in.

2. SickaGames1

SickaGames1

Can't wait for 2.8.1!

3. Gillissie

Gillissie

I'm having an issue with an eyebrows overlay. At first it renders fine, but if I change the hair on my avatar, the eyebrows are no longer rendered. I can see the eyebrows recipe in the list on the avatar, but it's no longer in the "current wardrobe" list after I change hair. The hair isn't set to hide any other slots. This is from the standard o3n base races library of stuff.
    I'm new to UMA, so I hope I'm not overlooking anything.

4. DankP3

DankP3

@Jaimi, excuse slightly off topic, but I am trying to catch up with hair designer and I can see you have been following it.
    Will it work with head blendshapes on UMAs (as in those that scale and alter skull profile)

5. Jaimi

Jaimi

That's strange - but I've seen a similar situation when the new overlay has mismatching textures or the override rectangle for the overlay is incorrect. As well, if you've included a face overlay with the hair, it could overwrite the existing face (and eyebrows, if they are overlaid on the face and not a separate slot).

6. Jaimi

Jaimi

Not that I'm aware of - they are tied to the bones as far as I can tell. None of the models I tested with had blendshapes, so I can't say with any certainty.

DankP3 likes this.
  7. Jaimi

Jaimi

UMA 2.8.1 Released on the asset store

Restructured files and folders.
    Easier to delete examples.
    Added ASMDEF files to speed compiles. (This is a 2017.3+ feature)
    Fixed issue where events were not getting removed, leading to some anomalous behavior.
    Various minor fixes and updates (new accessors, build issues fixed, etc).
    Added DCA Randomizer and Random Crowd generator and scene.
    Updated General Documentation.
    Updated Content Creation documentation for Blender 2.8 beta.
    Several changes to internal classes for compatibility with the upcoming UMA Power Tools release.

Upgrading from 2.8:

• You should remove the previous UMA folder before importing! Save all your custom content somewhere, and delete the UMA folder. Many files have changed location.
    Upgrading from 2.7 or a previous version
    • With the change in type, your global library will need to be rebuilt.
    • You can update the old DNAConverterBehaviour prefabs to the new DNAConverterControllers by selecting the warning in the console and following the text directions.
    • HumanMale and HumanFemale are now using Bone Poses for initial bone morphs. This can cause some slight differences in characters having DNA applied. If you need the old behavior, you should change your race to the "Legacy" version of the races.
    • Note: Blendshapes do not work correctly on some versions of 2018.3 when GPU skinning is enabled. Please disable GPU skinning in your 2018.3 project if you are using a version of Unity with this bug.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2019
  8. SickaGames1

SickaGames1

Now to just get Power Tools updated! :)

9. Gillissie

Gillissie

Actually, I figured it out. Rookie mistake. When I apply all the recipes for my character, I call ClearSlots() first, but I didn't have a call to re-apply the eyebrows.

hopeful likes this.
  10. keeponshading

keeponshading

Hi. Great progress here.
    Where i can find the latest Blender .blends to UMA 2.8.x.

11. Jaimi

Jaimi

On my hard drive, unfortunately. I'll try to update the content pack this weekend.

hopeful and keeponshading like this.
  12. Gervais60

Gervais60

Hi Jaimi

I just updated to 2.8.1 in my project I am using unity 2019.1.0.f2 and I am getting 46 error that are all centered to the Timeline library

I include one of the error line

Assets\UMA\Core\Extensions\Timeline\UmaColor\UmaColorClip.cs(5,19): error CS0234: The type or namespace name 'Timeline' does not exist in the namespace 'UnityEngine' (are you missing an assembly reference?)

has suggested i did remove the UMA folder and did reinstall it has new and boom. UMA was working correctly befor the update

if you have any suggestion it would be more then welcome

Note: in 2019.1 UNITY has change the timeline library it is no longer part of the core it is an external package i did try to remove and reinstall it but it did not change any thing

13. keeponshading

keeponshading

That s great and one of the best features from UMA to provide open source asset creation.

Could be worth to make this a feature description on asset store page. Most people don t know it.

With the glTF export it should be possible to export full PBR textured soon.

btw. The link in first forum post points to old deprecated UMA version in Store.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2019
  14. HP

HP

I get the same errors with Unity3D 2019.1.0f2 and UMA 2.8.1 from Asset Store.

15. Jaimi

Jaimi

Got this straightened out - Unity converted Timeline to a package. So it breaks the asmdef files.

To fix this, select the UMA_Core asmdef file from the UMA/Core folder. In the inspector, under "Assemply Definition Resources" (under the Use Guids), it should currently be saying "List is Empty". Click on the + sign to add a blank one, and then press the selection button to add "Unity.Timeline" to the definitions.

That fixed it for me. I'll upload a 2019.1 specific package to address this. This doesn't seem like something we can conditionally update.

hopeful and kenamis like this.
  16. Duende

Duende

Hi, I've seen that UMA uses a different bone system and it can modify the characters to make them small without bone issues. I'm having a problem with the bones when making an adult-to-child model using blendshapes:

https://forum.unity.com/threads/blendshape-animation-weird-error.659101/

Then I have seen that it is possible to import a model from DAZ to UMA with all its blendshapes in these videos:

My question is, if I import the DAZ Genesis model following these videos, is the blendshape adult to child work without the mesh being deformed?

17. Gervais60

Gervais60

Jaimi,

Ok it did fix the problem for me too

Thanks for your help you may need to put a warning on the store this is a big problem

18. Jaimi

Jaimi

I uploaded a 2019.1 specific package, so hopefully it's approved soon and 2019.1 users don't see this issue. I also added a warning in case people upgrade from an earlier unity.

19. Jaimi

Jaimi

The bug you are showing looks like the old 2018 GPU skinning bug. You might try disabling that in your project settings, to see if it is the case. If so, I believe it was fixed in a later version of 2018.3.

Also note that if you use Blendshapes for things like that, you will need to create the same blendshapes for all of your content that matches it, and that can use more RAM than you might think.

If that's not it, then I'm not sure what the problem is. Perhaps the skeleton hierarchy isn't setup correctly. Honestly, I would use bone deformation for the scaling here.

hopeful likes this.
  20. Duende

Duende

I read somewhere that it was a GPU skinning bug and I tried to disable it. I have also tried in previous versions of Unity and the same thing happened to me. I'm with version 2018.3.7f1.
    It also happened to this other member: https://forum.unity.com/threads/blendshapes-combined-with-animation.468565/

I have tried many models and the same thing always happens. Free models downloaded from the asset store that I modified in blender to make them smaller with a blendshape and the result was the same. That is why I have decided to try UMA, because it seems that it uses a different system of bones and allows the characters to make small, which is what I need to have a blendshape from adult to child.

So, if I export this Genesis model to UMA with the blendshape from adult to child would the same thing happen? The blendshape from adult to child is a default morph that has the Genesis 1 model of DAZ.

21. Jaimi

Jaimi

I don't have the slightest idea if it will happen, as I don't know what is causing it. It may be that the various extremity bones aren't properly connected to their parents. Or it maybe something else. (the GPU skinning bug was fixed in 2018.3.11, I believe). Unless you re-rig your model to the UMA skeleton, then it will just use the same set of bones that are currently in your model (you have to create a race, and extract the tpose with the rig). So I'm not sure UMA is the solution for you. I would look closer at the skeleton in your modelling app. If you use Blender, make sure you force connect the bones on import.

22. kenamis

kenamis

Are you trying to morph the bones themselves (in addition to the mesh blendshape/morph) and not a uniform scaling?

23. Duende

Duende

First of all, thank you very much for helping me. :)

I have tried the Genesis model of DAZ by simply exporting it in a .fbx and pasting it in Unity. I have also tried that same model (DAZ Genesis) by importing it and exporting it in Blender. I've tried other free Unity models and modified them in Blender to add a key / blendshape shape. The result is always the same. That deformed mesh.

I only use the blendshape, I do not modify bones. I will share an example.

Look, I made an example. This is a free robot of the asset store: https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/3d/animations/humanoid-rig-sugar-pixels-135075

The only thing I've done is import it into Blender, create the blendshape to shrink it and export it. But when I run an animation this happens (I use the version 2019.1.0f2):

upload_2019-4-20_13-14-14.png

I share the project with the modified model and the unmodified model. Test if the same happens to you when activating the blendshape.

Attached Files:

24. AsoraX

AsoraX

Dose anyone have a solution for that metallic error on modded faces?

Thanks for your help...

25. ecurtz

ecurtz

If you use a script that shows the bones of the skinned mesh you'll see why this isn't working. There's one that looks like it should work (I didn't try it) attached to this Unity Answer: https://answers.unity.com/questions/8201/how-to-make-bones-visible-in-editor-mode-.html

For this to work you'll need to change the skeleton as well as apply the morph to the vertices.

26. DankP3

DankP3

@Duende I have done this with Daz and child morphs. Basically you can keep all the subtle child morphs but you need to bin the body scaling morph, it leaves the mesh no where near the bones!
    If you only intend to use a child you can morph and reposition the bones (automatically) in Daz studio before export. Otherwise your whole body scaling has to be done with a bone scale in uma.

27. Jaimi

Jaimi

Two things can be wrong here. The normal map is not imported correctly, or the metallic is getting messed up.

Metallic is controlled by the amount of RED in the Metallic map. This makes it darker.
    Smoothness is controlled by the ALPHA in the Metallic map. This makes it glossier.
    • Verify your normal map is imported as a normal map.
    • Verify your alpha channel is correct on your metallic texture.
    • Verify the colors on the Metallic Channel (color 2 in the UMA_DIFFUSE_NORMAL_METALLIC) do not add to the metallic.
    but If I were to make a guess, I'd pick the normal map not imported right.

hopeful likes this.
  28. AsoraX

AsoraX

Amazing... Thanks for your help... the normal map was not imported as a normal map

hopeful and Jaimi like this.
  29. Jaimi

Jaimi

The content pack has been updated to include Blender 2.8 specific files here:

https://github.com/umasteeringgroup/content-pack

You can download the content pack by pressing the green button that says "Clone or Download".

The files have had the rigs and meshes cleaned up to match the Blender 2.8 export parameters as detailed in the "UMAContentCreation" pdf that is in the root UMA folder in the asset.

keeponshading and hopeful like this.
  30. attaway

attaway

I'm having trouble using a normal map generated by substance. It is generating as a yellow map instead of blue. It has no problem working in Unity materials, but it seems UMA is having trouble with it because its inverted. I read the reason Substances export inverted normals is because they use Linear RG compressed BC5 format. How can I get it working properly with UMA?

31. apdibbo

apdibbo

Hi, I am just getting started using Unity 2018-3 and UMA 2.8.1 and I get the following errors when trying to build (just an empty project with UMA imported):

Assets\UMA\Core\StandardAssets\UMA\Scripts\OverlayData.cs(23,13): error CS0619: 'ProceduralTexture' is obsolete: 'Built-in support for Substance Designer materials has been removed from Unity. To continue using Substance Designer materials, you will need to install Allegorithmic's external importer from the Asset Store.'

Assets\UMA\Core\StandardAssets\UMA\Scripts\OverlayData.cs(110,11): error CS0619: 'ProceduralPropertyType' is obsolete: 'Built-in support for Substance Designer materials has been removed from Unity. To continue using Substance Designer materials, you will need to install Allegorithmic's external importer from the Asset Store.'

I saw a post about deleteing the Human Male Procedural shirt but this has not helped.

Any Ideas on fixing this would be much appreciated

Thanks

32. Anish_Pereira

Anish_Pereira

Hi,

I am new to UMA and using the 2.8 version. I have imported FBX files from blender but when I create a wardrobe recipe and attach it to my avatar the FBX model rotates by 90 degree. In Blender, I have set Forward to Z axis and Up to Y axis when exporting.

I have tried the steps mentioned in the YouTube video (below link) but it still gives the same problem.

Could anyone kindly help me?

Thanks

33. Duende

Duende

Ok, but is it possible to modify the bones in runtime? I mean, when it is animated it is impossible to modify them from the inspector, and if I stop the animation, I modify some bone, and I start the animation again, the bones return to their original position. Would this change if I modified the position of the bones by script?

Sorry, I have not understood this paragraph very well, can you explain it in another way? I am very interested in knowing what your solution was if you have already gone through that.

My intention is to have a character that grows from adult to child, so I need that the mesh does not deform and the bones adapt in Unity.

That's what I'm trying to find out. If I could import the DAZ model to UMA to use the morph from adult to child without deforming. I've tried UMA, the example scenes with the UMA base model, and if I shrink the model it will not deform, but I don't know if this would work importing DAZ to UMA with that morph. How did you manage to solve this problem?

34. DankP3

DankP3

Use all the separate child morphs except the whole body morph, for size use the bones.
    An example of my results linked here:
    http://umacommunity.boards.net/thread/40/daz-child-adult-wip

I think you are making it too complicated if you try to adjust bones in unity.

Edit, so I reread your post. The morphs I have, apart from the whole body morph are things like youth body weight, youth posture, some kind of youth face/head adjust. Combined all these morphs create an adult sized child. Then you scale size down with an uma bone adjust. You cannot use a whole body morph which scales, as this scales mesh, but not skeleton.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2019
  35. Jaimi

Jaimi

If the normal map is a correctly formatted normal map, then simply marking it as a normal map in the import settings will convert it to the correct format for use in both Unity and UMA.

36. Jaimi

Jaimi

It sounds like you imported the new UMA over an older version (probably 2.7?).
    You need to delete the uma folder and reimport.

37. Jaimi

Jaimi

Please review the UMAContentCreation document in the UMA 2.8.1 update for the correct export parameters for Blender 2.8. Please note that the content pack for Blender 2.8 was updated also, as it removed the 180 degree rotation on the rig.

hopeful likes this.
  38. attaway

attaway

Hmm yeah it should be working then. The settings work with non substance normal maps. The problem does seem to be with something UMA is doing to the substance normal map. In the editor at runtime I replaced the UMA rendered normal map with the original substance normal map and it looks fine. Have any ideas?

39. Jaimi

Jaimi

If it's already in the correct format, have you tried just not marking it as a normal map?

hopeful and attaway like this.
  40. attaway

attaway

yeah that got it working.
    Thanks for the help

hopeful likes this.
  41. Jaimi

Jaimi

Just FYI - you might be better off if you change Substance Designer to output ARGB32 normal maps, and then let Unity convert them (I assume this is possible, just don't know what to do). Different platforms can have different
    formats.

attaway likes this.
  42. Duende

Duende

Okay, that could work. I'm going to do tests but the solution you propose should work. Thank you very much DankP3, and many thanks to the others who helped me. And of course the creators of the UMA asset. :)

43. magique

magique

@Jaimi On the MCS forums you posted the following:

DOS is working on an Avatar called "UniUMA" - it's a single avatar that can be male or female, or various races. He's got some awesome new textures for it also. And it can adjust the existing content to fit the new skeleton. This is all work-in-progress, but here's some pics of UniUMA in action (posted with permission).

This is more like what I would like to see from UMA. With this UniUMA, will new clothing be required or will it be able to use either male or female clothing on the same model?

What's the ETA on this and will it be part of the free UMA package or a paid add-on?

44. Jaimi

Jaimi

I can't answer for david on ETA, but it will not be part of the the base UMA package - I believe it will be paid package he sells on the asset store. I know he has some algorithms to fit the existing clothing, but I don't know the full details.

magique likes this.
  45. davidosullivan

davidosullivan

hey @magique yeah I'm getting very close to a beta now with UniUMA.

UniUMA is going to be a paid for unisex Race that can wear all your existing UMA content for both male and female, has 4k textures made from super high poly meshes in ZBrush, and is going to have lots of future 'morph' packs for turning it into, Orcs, Toons etc etc.

The thing that has held me up for a couple of weeks is that UniUMA is a higher poly mesh (similar to DAZ and CC3 in poly count) and also has quite a few 'additional' bones (for extra twists at the shoulder for example, more deform-able neck, knees, ankles, biceps deform-able separate from the shoulders etc). I've been pretty determined that existing content should fit _and_ take advantage of all that so I have had to enhance the code that makes all existing content fit. Thats done now and working pretty well. The fitting is a 'Zero Click' process (i.e you just make the uma wear some item of clothing and it 'just works'), but the conversion process not currently fast enough for runtime. You can do it at edit time tho and just cache the results. thereafter its just as quick as stock uma.

So my last step before beta is to get everything I have done into Unity. I'm just finishing a tool I wrote today to help with that right now. So the beta is coming in days...

When its released tho is gonna depend on how many issues people report with the beta. I cant give you a solid eta but I'm working round the clock to try and get it out for the end of the month.

Jaimi, DankP3 and hopeful like this.
  46. magique

magique

Sounds great. Will this work with UMA Power Tools so that we can create a prefab of the results?

47. davidosullivan

davidosullivan

Yeah, I dont see why not. The 'results' are just standard UMA slots that have been tagged as UniUMA compatible (and fitted obviously). They get swapped into the recipe at the dna stage (before power tools does its stuff) so hopefully that will just work like normal. Havent tested that yet tho. You can of course use the generated slots in new recipes like any other slot- and you'd just make that recipe compatible for UniUMA race like you do when you make a wardrobe recipe for any other race...

48. Gillissie

Gillissie

I'm new to UMA, and have gotten a few content packs from o3n, and plan on getting more. However, I've already noticed that the content for both o3n and the core UMA stuff is extremely badly organized. Since I'm using o3n's base human races, I don't want any of the core UMA stuff. However, trying to delete "example" and "content" files from the UMA folder often results in missing scripts that other stuff requires, or some materials & textures that o3n is using for its base races. I'm looking for suggestions on how to organize and eliminate all the unused UMA assets from my builds. It's very difficult to know what's actually being used and what's not, due to all the cross-references between things.

49. Jaimi

Jaimi

Are you using 2.8.1? The folders were reorganized to make this easier. If you are using it, then all I can say is we will continue to improve it, and if you can enter issues in github we can address them in future releases.

kenamis and hopeful like this.
  50. ceebeee

ceebeee

Oh when you brought that up in the MCS thread I thought it was an upcoming addition to UMA. No doubt due to my ignorance of UMA and who does what in general. Can you explain who 'DOS'/'David' is so I can keep tabs on their work? Thanks.