Search Unity

1. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity is excited to announce that we will be collaborating with TheXPlace for a summer game jam from June 13 - June 19. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

UI elements not visible in scene view - 4.6rc2 OSX 10.10.1

Discussion in 'UGUI & TextMesh Pro' started by DanSuperGP, Nov 20, 2014.

1. DanSuperGP

DanSuperGP

I'm working on a new project at work and just updated to RC2 before starting to create a basic screen space UI. None of the UI elements I'm creating are visible in the Scene view at all. If I select the rect tool I can see their outlines, but the sprites themselves are not visible. They show up just fine in the game view.''

It makes it quite impossible to work on a UI this way. I don't think there's any settings I've changed that should be causing it. I created a test project and the behavior continues, so I have created a bug report and submitted that project. (Case 649429)
    The machine I'm using is a Late 2013 Retina Macbook Pro running OSX 10.10.1 and is connected to two Apple Thunderbolt displays. The copy of 4.6RC2 was freshly installed

Last edited: Nov 20, 2014
  2. DanSuperGP

DanSuperGP

So, I've gone and tried to regress this bug, since I've been caching all the previous installs of the beta in different folders...

It still occurs all the way back to beta 17 which is the first version I downloaded... and the same thing is occurring in the test scenes I created on the previous project, which were created on OSX 10.9... I know this didn't happen back then...

I can't think of anything I've done on this machine that would cause it other than updating the OS.

3. phil-Unity

phil-Unity

Unity UI Lead Developer

any chance you're using nested canvas's?

4. Fattie

Fattie

Eeek! there's no apostrophe in plurals, brother! :O

it's just canvasses, or canvass, or indeed for computer terms and classes, "canvas" like "fish" is it's own plural. (place three canvas on the screen..)

Anyway never an apostrophe in relation to plurals, never ever! ouch !

5. DanSuperGP

DanSuperGP

No, the test sample I submitted is just a single canvas with an image and a button. Nothing else at all.

6. phil-Unity

phil-Unity

Unity UI Lead Developer

interesting, once it gets through the QA process we'll take a look. Thanks

7. DanSuperGP

DanSuperGP

So, just as an update, I downloaded the example scenes for RC2 and have the same issue there. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling Unity and nothing has changed.

8. DanSuperGP

DanSuperGP

It continues on RC3. The same project works fine on my coworker's computers which are on OSX 10.9 and 10.10. Currently wishing there was a way to roll back to 10.10 from 10.10.1 since it's the only thing that makes sense at this point.

9. phil-Unity

phil-Unity

Unity UI Lead Developer

it might be something that will be fixed for 4.6.1 once we merge in all the 4.5.5 patches.

10. DanSuperGP

DanSuperGP

I hope so. Interestingly enough it works on Unity 5.0b13. Unfortunately the AR library we were using does not...

11. DanSuperGP

DanSuperGP

Just a small bump, this is still occurring in 4.6.0 official.

12. MatthieuP

MatthieuP

I am having the same bug here.

13. DanSuperGP

DanSuperGP

Also on OSX 10.10.1 ?

It makes working on the UI pretty much impossible for me.

It does work with the Unity 5 beta, but that's not especially helpful because none of the Augmented Reality stuff I'm working with does.