Search Unity

1. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Ever participated in one our Game Jams? Want pointers on your project? Our Evangelists will be available on Friday to give feedback. Come share your games with us!
    Dismiss Notice

Ubuntu 20.04 LTS support planned?

Discussion in 'Linux Editor' started by Sesshomurai, Jun 14, 2020.

1. Sesshomurai

Sesshomurai

Hi,
    I seen some old threads about this, but is Unity team currently targeting any more future LTS Ubuntu releases for Unity Hub and Editor?

I'm running Pop_OS 20.04 (Ubuntu) and was able to load and run UnityHub (although linux doesn't understand .AppImage file type, FYI) and install 2019.4. I could create a project, but the editor does not run.

Thanks for any info.

2. MadWatch

MadWatch

No word from Unity about officially supporting Ubuntu 20.04 (none that I heard of anyway). I sure hope they will officially support it at some point. It's the new Ubuntu LTS so they have no reasons not to.

Even without official support, Unity runs pretty well on Ubuntu 20.04. I use it daily. I have yet to try 2019.4 though (only 2019.3 so far).

As far as I know, Pop OS uses the Gnome desktop environment, just like vanilla Ubuntu. So I don't expect you will get any problem with it. I heard of people having UI bugs with Elementary OS's Pantheon desktop environment, and also with KDE when global menu is enabled. But you should be fine with Gnome.

What do you mean by "the editor does not run"?

3. Sesshomurai

Sesshomurai

I create my project. Im new to Unity so I assume when I click my project I'm supposed to see the editor. I don't. And the logs indicate some error.

I tried the previous release. Same issue. Doesnt run.

4. Sesshomurai

Sesshomurai

Here is the error I get whenever I try to open a new project.

Attached Files:

5. Sesshomurai

Sesshomurai

And plenty of errors in the logs. Looks like Unity no work in Ubuntu 20.04

Code (JavaScript):
    1. {"moduleName":"Templates","level":"warn","message":"[ 'No package.json found for the template',\n  { [Error: ENOENT: no such file or directory, open '/home/darren/UnityWork/2019.4.0f1/Editor/Data/Resources/PackageManager/ProjectTemplates/libcache/package.json']\n    errno: -2,\n    code: 'ENOENT',\n    syscall: 'open',\n    path:\n     '/home/darren/UnityWork/2019.4.0f1/Editor/Data/Resources/PackageManager/ProjectTemplates/libcache/package.json' } ]","timestamp":"2020-06-14T18:31:10.474Z"}
    2. {"moduleName":"LocalProject","level":"info","message":"[ 'createProject projectPath: /home/darren/Project A, current editor: ',\n  undefined ]","timestamp":"2020-06-14T18:31:18.586Z"}
    3. {"moduleName":"RestEvent:Project","level":"info","message":"[ 'onProjectCreate data: ',\n  { projectName: 'Project A',\n    projectDirectory: '/home/darren',\n    projectType:\n     '/home/darren/UnityWork/2019.4.0f1/Editor/Data/Resources/PackageManager/ProjectTemplates/com.unity.template.3d-4.2.8.tgz',\n    selectedPackages: [],\n    defaultScene: '',\n    organizationId: undefined } ]","timestamp":"2020-06-14T18:31:18.586Z"}
    4. {"moduleName":"UnityIPCServer","level":"info","message":"[ 'client process has connected to /tmp/Unity-hubIPCService.sock!' ]","timestamp":"2020-06-14T18:31:23.901Z"}
    5. {"moduleName":"HubIPCService","level":"info","message":"[ 'socket has disconnected: [object Object] , false!' ]","timestamp":"2020-06-14T18:31:26.276Z"}
    6. {"moduleName":"LaunchProcess","level":"info","message":"[ 'child process exited with code null' ]","timestamp":"2020-06-14T18:31:26.276Z"}

6. durban_gammat

durban_gammat

Hi did you manage to figure out how to get it running? I've just tried to install and getting the same issues, I can load an example project but I get compile errors mainly around missing namespaces

7. APSchmidt

APSchmidt

You might need to draw somebody's attention on this. :) @KevinWelton maybe? Or @LeonhardP ?

I'm about to install Linux Mint 20 Xfce which is based on Ubuntu, probably Ubuntu 20. I'll test Unity and come back here.

8. APSchmidt

APSchmidt

So far, so good!

Unity Hub appimage works perfectly. I installed Unity 2019.4.2f1, created a new project, loaded it, no problem. I loaded an ancient project and upgraded it to 2019.4.2f1, no problem either. Obviously, I just did minimum tests, but if the basics work with Linux Mint 20 Xfce, they should also work with Ubuntu 20 LTS.

Good job Unity! :D

unityunity