Search Unity

Will Ubuntu 20.04 be supported?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by A_Savvidis, Mar 29, 2020.

1. A_Savvidis

A_Savvidis

Hello, initial tests have shown me it's time to get rid of the dual boot system and focus on the OS I prefer.

I would normally go for Linux mint as I've used it for many years but since I work on Unity professionally I thought it's better to go with supported OS. Time for a fresh system setup!!!! But wait... Ubuntu 20.04 is just around the corner as it will be released in April-23.

Questions:
    1. Will Ubuntu 20.04 be supported? Should I install it or go for Ubuntu 18.04?
    2. Most of my projects are still under 2018.4 as I find that version producing better builds for android/VR. How is 2018.4 under linux?
    3. Will I be able to build windows builds working from Linux?
    4. Is it that bad if I stay with mint? I mean.. it's still Ubuntu LTS based. If it makes even a small difference for the Unity bug hunting team I will get rid of it.

Thank you for your time.

mszukals and cedrikrocha like this.
  2. sfjohansson

sfjohansson

I'd be interested to know this as well :)

3. andrews_unity

andrews_unity

Unity Technologies

1. We do not plan to change our current distro support policy, but we are constantly evaluating what distro's support makes sense.
    2. So for the editor the best version of Unity is 2019.3, and the same goes for the player.
    3. You can build a Windows Mono target on Linux but you cannot build a il2cpp windows target
    4. We do not support or test on Mint at all :D and so if you file a bug or a support issue we will not support it.

Aritra_12 and ma1onso like this.
  4. A_Savvidis

A_Savvidis

Will if what you wrote in part 1 is true then part 4 will change sooner or later :D. If you are evaluating this shouldn't there be a poll with the question which distro you would like to be supported for Unity? I am sure more devs use mint than CentOS.

Too bad I was one of the most active beta testers and I already had 9 bugs noted on my windows that I didn't had the time to properly test and submit. I guess I'll share them with a windows friend so that part should be fine. More time for me weheeee :p

LukaKotar and volfase like this.
  5. sfjohansson

sfjohansson

Did anyone brave dip their toe in and tried 20.04? =O

Last edited: Apr 24, 2020
  6. AlastoirFaruh

AlastoirFaruh

I want to try it. Stay tuned :)

7. AlastoirFaruh

AlastoirFaruh

I have installed 20.04. When i tried to install 2017.4.39f1 (LTS), Unity Editor found not libgconf2-4.so. I have install libgconf2-4 manually. But this installation helps not and Unity Editor continue to crash with segmentation fault. Then i install 2020.1.0b6 (Beta) and it just works :)

If i see any error or bug, i will mark it here

8. sfjohansson

sfjohansson

Nice, 2020 might be fine then... although if 2019 LTS will not become supported it's still a show stopper as that will be the version used for many existing client projects for a long time. =(

Did you file a bug report of the crash?

I'm looking forward to the fractional scaling as unity is an eye strain on my 4k screen. Also hoping that it will give a general performance boost for the UI/Windows etc

Last edited: Apr 25, 2020
  9. AlastoirFaruh

AlastoirFaruh

No, i didn't. And i changed my PC hardware :)

10. sfjohansson

sfjohansson

I did also get new hardware..which means... I could grab my old hard drive and install 20.04 and give it try there... :)

11. Wolfos

Wolfos

2019.3.7f1 also seems to work.

12. sfjohansson

sfjohansson

Interesting, I believe I read another thread regarding Ubuntu 19.10 and the Roslyn compiler having a dependency that was breaking. This had been fixed in 2020.x but not 2019.x.

13. andrews_unity

andrews_unity

Unity Technologies

I did fix it in 2019.3 the issue is that the version of Roslyn we have in 2019.3 depends on OpenSSL 1.0 and 19.10+ uses 1.1 Microsoft eventually fixed this in a future version so as it would work with either.

I did fix the issue in 2019.3 where If you don’t have 1.0 installed it falls back to the mono compiler if you do install 1.0 OpenSSL it will use Roslyn.

sfjohansson likes this.
  14. MadWatch

MadWatch

Could you please tell me how I can check if Unity is using Roslyn or Mono?

Nagbog likes this.
  15. heitorzorah

heitorzorah

So... Any updates on this? About Ubuntu 20.04 official support?
    I don't like 18.04. I'm running OpenSuse Tumbleweed right now, but I want to change to something official.

Where can I find a list of supported Distros anyways? Is Ubuntu 18.04 and CentOS the only ones?
    Thank you!

16. andrews_unity

andrews_unity

Unity Technologies

No change on this... As of right now 2019.3 will only officially support Ubuntu 16.04/18.04/Centos 7

heitorzorah likes this.
  17. elbarz

elbarz

I'm trying Fedora 32 . . . It installs with the Hub, the Shader Graphs doesn't compile, so I'm returning to the .sh installer for the version 2019.1.0f2. Centos has an old kernel, and Ubuntu is lamely very slow wiht the use. Fedora is a Rocket. Well wish me luck. I mean, if source code would be available (maybe I haven't find it) I would compile it, Until then I'm just devoted to the shell script installers.

18. MadWatch

MadWatch

I'm currently using Unity 2019.3 on Ubuntu 20.04 and it works well. There are some issues but those are known issues and not Ubuntu specific (like the annoying shortcuts bug on non QWERTY keyboards).

As always, the real pain isn't Unity but VS Code. I Managed to make it work but it was stupidly complicated. Hopefully this will get a little bit easier since Microsoft just released its dotnet packages for Ubuntu 20.04.

MuaazKhan likes this.
  19. Nagbog

Nagbog

I wiped my HP Omen Laptop with GTX 1060 Max-Q and installed Pop OS(Ubuntu derivative from System 76) 20.04. Then installed the Unity Hub. With Hub I got Unity Editor 2019.3.14f1 with no issues. I was immediately able to create a new project.

20. Nagbog

Nagbog

Install VSCode via snap instead of apt manager. Snaps is the target they will be releasing from M$ until they finish WSL2. Then expect winget to come to the DARK side.

21. elbarz

elbarz

Gaes, even if I'm ignored. I should tell you no matter what. Unity3D hub version 2020.b9 or something like that, HDRP it's beautiful. I can't compile shaders, but anyway as Fedora user (BTW I use Fedora hahaha). Works great. I'll try some stuff. I was wondering with the booming of Ubuntu Touch and Phosh, the mobile linux versions if SDL and Waylad are supported to export stuff. It would be awesome to try games on the next linux phones.

sfjohansson likes this.
  22. heitorzorah

heitorzorah

Hey guys, let's keep talking here, maybe they need more people interested and talking about official support for 20.04 to do it.

23. KevinWelton

KevinWelton

We will have more information coming in the near future, but our current working plan is to phase out support in the Editor (not the player) for Ubuntu 16.04 and add support for Ubuntu 20.04.

24. Corodius

Corodius

That is really great news! Thank you for the update. Official support for 20.04 is awesome news.

heitorzorah likes this.
  25. iomv

iomv

I am also interested in support for 20.04 - looking forward for this

heitorzorah likes this.
  26. sfjohansson

sfjohansson

Great News, Is this something that will be backported to 2019 LTS or for 2020 and onwards?

27. KevinWelton

KevinWelton

@sfjohansson - Great question. For the most part, we are backporting very few fixes. Since 2019.4, the team has made some fundamental changes to the Linux editor that vastly improve quality of life, but would not be simple to backport. Since the Linux editor is not out of beta, we made the decision to spend our available cycles putting fixes and improvements into the main branch.

Every so often, large fixes *do* get backported to 2019.4. But it isn't our MO right now.

Steedalion and heitorzorah like this.
  28. sfjohansson

sfjohansson

Cool, yes it's certainly improved a lot. I was hoping it was just dependencies that have been removed/upgraded in ubuntu... that what was breaking things. Client projects probably not get upgraded to 2020, unless it's really necessary. It's still early days for 2020 so many commercial/client will probably roll with the current LTS version.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2020
  29. wusticality

wusticality

Hey guys, any update on this?

sfjohansson likes this.
  30. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

TCROC and wusticality like this.