Search Unity

UBER - Standard Shader Ultra

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by tomaszek, Jun 23, 2015.

1. tomaszek

tomaszek

U2017.3 is just fine (as far as you stick to deferred or forward lighting - no SRPs).

UBER has dedicated version for U5.6. Using version for U2017 doesn't work. Most fitting version is 1.2e. Try to install(download from UAS) it from Unity5.6.1f. It has version mark as this (_verinfo.txt)

UBER 1.2e (U5.6.1f1 release)

Not all changes/features that are introduced in newest UBER are available for lower Unity versions though. Installing matching UBER version would be good starting point to reproduce the issue.

You has issue related to what I've already answered here:

https://forum.unity.com/threads/uber-standard-shader-ultra.335493/page-33#post-3460189

UBER material inspector manages more things than only setting properties in material. As for glossiness it's much more easy to solve - _SpecColor.a (alpha channel of this color property) is smoothness multiplier over gloss taken from texture. Try to change this property in material and you should get effects immediately.

Tom

2. llJIMBOBll

llJIMBOBll

Hi Tom,
    Sorry if you've been asked this question 1 million times before.
    I'm trying to disable Emission on Death of my AI
    Code (CSharp):
    1. foreach (Renderer mesh in MeshRenderer) {
    2.                 foreach (Material mat in mesh.materials) {
    3.                     mat.DisableKeyword ("_EmissionMap");
    4.                 }
    5.             }
    But not sure what Keyword to use, I have tried looking thru other scripts but I'm not so good with Shaders. Really appreciate your help.

Thanx Jim

EDIT
    Code (CSharp):
    1. foreach (Renderer mesh in MeshRenderer) {
    2.                 foreach (Material mat in mesh.materials) {
    3.                     Color colour = new Color (0f,0f,0f,0f);
    4.                     if (mat.IsKeywordEnabled ("_EMISSION_TEXTURED")) {
    5.                         mat.SetColor ("_EmissionColor", colour);
    6.                         mat.SetFloat ("_EmissionColor", 0f);
    7.                     }
    8.                 }
    9.             }
    :D

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
    hopeful likes this.
  3. tomaszek

tomaszek

As far as I remember (excuse me ;) ) emission is kind of permanent feature. Only with option to be textured or not. It's enough to damp emission color (which is multiplier) to 0 to remove this effect visually.

Tom

llJIMBOBll likes this.
  4. ThermodynamicsMakesMeHot

ThermodynamicsMakesMeHot

Hi Tom. There is no version for me to download for Unity. Maybe you did not see that I already said the Unity asset store does not allow a different version to be download.

I am version locked 5.6.0f1. Your description webstore states it is compatible but its not.

Can I send you my invoice # for a refund since it doesn't work and the UAS does not allow me to download any other version..maybe UAS is broken as usual .

But since I cant use it and I really feel this is falsely advertised as working when its not. Refund please so I can buy a different shader that will work thanks.
    Thanks Tom.

5. tomaszek

tomaszek

For me it's no problem. You can contact me PM. Is it really the only option to choose, refund? No assistance to get right version this way or another? It's up to you though...

Tom

6. ThermodynamicsMakesMeHot

ThermodynamicsMakesMeHot

Well to be totally honest I would actually love to have something that works. Even to send you my invoice# for an alternative download I would be very happy. I really wanted to use this since it offers so many cool features that completely destroy the standard shaders. I was just caught offguard by it not working. I can't upgrade as you know that after 5.6.0 there are breaking changes and I do not want to redo this whole project and even if I wanted to a lot of the assets I am using will not work in a higher unity without even more fixes which leads to the rabbit hole of issues.

Everything is working perfect right now and I am in the polish stage and I want to make it look awesome which I know UBER could do it I could just use it. There are some cheap one off shaders that will work and make it look ok but not as good if I had UBER but I would totally rather use UBER as it is/was my first choice.

7. tomaszek

tomaszek

So, please contact me via private forum message with invoice# for verification. We will nail it with custom package download or directly (skype/screenshare) in case U5.6.1 UBER version can't match U5.6.0 (it might be some differences in Unity's rendering pipeline defined in default .cginc files).

Tom

8. ThermodynamicsMakesMeHot

ThermodynamicsMakesMeHot

That is totally awesome and I was extremely happy. But all this got me thinking as to why I was not able to download a different version. I figured I would try a different machine and another version of unity to try and get a package as you suggested.

=> I installed 5.5 on a machine that's never used unity or had games or anything on it...downloaded UBER.
    => This got me: UBER 1.2c (U5.5.0p3 release)

I then installed this version into 5.6.0f1 and everything compiled, I watched the shaders complete without errors.

I got busy adding it and everything is perfect in my fantasy/real world. Thank you for the support offer.

9. Hazneliel

Hazneliel

I tried changing that propery and Im getting the error:
    Material doesn't have a float or range property '_SpecColor.a'

Any advice?

Thank you

10. tomaszek

tomaszek

Color property is vector named "_SpecColor"
    .a suffix only stands for routh component (alpha) of the color.

To change only one component (.a) without affecting others you need to set whole color (rgba) anyway but set rgb to current value.

Tom

11. JonDadley

JonDadley

Hey Tomas. I've found an issue when using a 2 sided transparent material in VR. For some reason in this mode, the material will appear moved to the left in the left eye and moved to the right in the right eye. In the attached image look at the window glass on the right-hand side of each view and notice how it is in different positions for each eye.

Is this something you may be able to fix? This is quite easy to replicate without a VR headset - Place a 2 sided transparent material on an object then go to Player Settings > XR Settings then tick Virtual Reality Supported and then add Mock HMD - Vive to the list of supported SDKs. Play the scene and observe.

This is on Unity 2018.1b13 although I don't think the issue is specific to this version if Unity.

Btw I love Uber and it's used in all my projects, thanks for your hard work on this project!

Jon

Attached Files:

12. tomaszek

tomaszek

Please give me some time to look into the issue. Indeed your side window in the car looks off for left and right eye (offset). I'm wondering why the window is moved to left/right instead of its contents. This might be a illusion though.
    Anyway - refraction works the way it makes a copy of render buffer as input texture (GrabPass), then it's used for refraction material. Using such strong displacement values doesn't look real. I.e. flat windows dn't produce that much refraction. We could expect it from glass balls maybe.

Tom

JonDadley likes this.
  13. unity_zw6QHpcgpJfeDA

unity_zw6QHpcgpJfeDA

Hi,
    I just bought UBER today and its really great. I love the feature of dynamix snow. Sadly, I am currently facing the same issue with moving objects. Would love to get a fix for this to be able to apply snow on smaller moving objects. Any hint right now or suggestion when an update will arise ?

Thanks !

Chris

14. Don-Gray

Don-Gray

unity 2017.4.1f1
    Uber 1.2g
    If I enable custom shader in Graphics Settings, I get an unending text of this in the console:

This custom render path shader needs to have at least 2 passes.
    UnityEngine.GUIUtility:processEvent(Int32, IntPtr)

15. Chris-Crafty

Chris-Crafty

Hey tom, sorry for hijacking the RTP thread for an UBER question, I followed the "Support Website" link on the UBER Assetstore page and trusted you knew what you wanted :). Anyways, I checked and as far as I'm aware I'm on 1.2g. And yes, I did unpack the two unitypackage-Files, too :).
    I also checked and am unaware of any location in my game where I use POM. How would I deactivate this POM stuff, aside from "#if false"-ing the whole UBER_PostProcessModelForPOM class?

16. tomaszek

tomaszek

Which shader did you put into custom. I assume UBER_InternalDeferred.shader? This means the shader has error during compilation. Can you select it and give me inspector output about it?

Yes, support website links to my first product RTP. So actually that's my fault. Unfortunately we can provide it with only one link. Anyway - it's no problem.

So as you use up to date UBER version I don't really get how Unity could crash here and if it's UBER POM script related. If you don't use POM you can definitely forget about POM postprocessor script. It preprocesses meshes baking some additional data into uvs (unused zw components) and vertex colors. It does so only for meshes that has specific name suffix (_POM). If none of your meshes follow such convention the script is supposed to do nothing. You can even remove it. If crash is related to other UBER functionality like shader compilation process (for build Unity attemps to compile all variants for all lighting scenarios, not only currently used in scenes) I'm affraid there's not much we can do. Shaders that are not used are not supposed to be included in build. If you use UBER ocassionaly in project I guess you use 2-3 shader variants maybe that is definitely too small to require a lot of RAM for compilation?

Tom

17. Chris-Crafty

Chris-Crafty

I have an idea what is happening: Your code looks like this (I hope you don't mind posting it, if you do, let me know, I'll remove it at once):
    Code (csharp):
    2. public static void OnPostprocessAllAssets (string[] importedAssets, string[] deletedAssets, string[] movedAssets, string[] movedFromAssetPaths) {
    3.     for (int i=0; i<importedAssets.Length; i++) {
    4.         mesh = AssetDatabase.LoadAssetAtPath (importedAssets[i], typeof(Mesh)) as Mesh;
    5.         if (mesh && mesh.name.IndexOf (NAMING_STRING) >= 0) {
    6.             Debug.Log ("Processing mesh=" + mesh.name);
    7. [...]
    8.         }
    9.         if (mesh && mesh.name.IndexOf (NAMING_VOLUME) >= 0) {
    10.             Debug.Log ("Processing POM volume mesh=" + mesh.name);
    11. [...]
    12.         }
    13.     }
    14. }
    That means you "LoadAssetAtPath" every single item in "importedAssets" only to check whether the load was successful and whether the name matches naming criteria. Which in my case are thousands of entries on initial import, unfortunately. There won't be any garbage collection inside this loop, because that is usually done by Mono outside of loops or explicitly with GC.collect(). So I changed that a little, and it seems to work:
    Code (csharp):
    1. public static void OnPostprocessAllAssets (string[] importedAssets, string[] deletedAssets, string[] movedAssets, string[] movedFromAssetPaths) {
    2.     for (int i=0; i<importedAssets.Length; i++) {
    3.         if( importedAssets[i].IndexOf( NAMING_STRING ) >= 0 || importedAssets[i].IndexOf( NAMING_VOLUME ) >= 0 ) {
    4.             mesh = AssetDatabase.LoadAssetAtPath( importedAssets[i], typeof( Mesh ) ) as Mesh;
    5.             if( mesh && mesh.name.IndexOf( NAMING_STRING ) >= 0 ) {
    6.                     [...]
    7.             }
    8.             if( mesh && mesh.name.IndexOf( NAMING_VOLUME ) >= 0 ) {
    9.                     [...]
    10.             }
    11.         }
    12.     }
    13. }
    It might produce some false positives since importedAssets is the full path, but it should be WAY more efficient in loading assets at all. You could refine that further if you want, but I think the basic idea is clear. Hope it helps, and thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

tomaszek likes this.
  18. Don-Gray

Don-Gray

"Which shader did you put into custom. I assume UBER_InternalDeferred.shader? This means the shader has error" during compilation. Can you select it and give me inspector output about it?"

Yes, I will.

19. tomaszek

tomaszek

As UBER is on Madness Sale - it's the best way to get UBER+RTP very cheap now (for some time crossgrade to RTP is for $15 only).

Tom

20. Emerald_Eel_Entertainment

Emerald_Eel_Entertainment

I bought UBER a few days ago and tried it out yesterday. This plugin is amazing; well worth the purchase. I especially like the wetness (rain) options; they look nice on road objects.

I was wondering if it's possible to have rain trickle down 90 degree surfaces like walls? I generated a big 10 metre by 12 metre block with a height of 15 metres and played around with the wetness; I was able to make the brick material on the mesh very wet and glossy and the rain droplets work fine on the roof but I didn't notice any trickling water running down the walls. Not the droplets, only the water level normal map.

21. tomaszek

tomaszek

Not possible I'm affraid - wet ripples with animation effect works with uv mapping on world xz plane thus on walls it would look very wrong (streched vertical strips). That's why I intentionally damp this effect on vertical surfaces.

Tom

22. Emerald_Eel_Entertainment

Emerald_Eel_Entertainment

I see. That's a shame.

23. Pigsqueal

Pigsqueal

First off: this shader is a beauty. My favourite at the moment. But now comes a problem. When ever I use it in VR (oculus) i can see everything doubled. One of the eyes cameras is showing the render from the other eye which makes really wierd results. Is there a fix or some setting I missed to prevent that

24. tomaszek

tomaszek

Is there a method to reproduce it w/o headset (using testrig setup in editor)?. Would be best to know exact UBER version and Unity version to check.

Tom

25. Don-Gray

Don-Gray

"Which shader did you put into custom. I assume UBER_InternalDeferred.shader? This means the shader has the error during compilation. Can you select it and give me inspector output about it?"

Strangely, the Uber shader that shows up is the one that is the compatibility version of AutoLandscape, there is no internal shader showing on the pick list. I tried reinstalling but it says everything is already in the project.

26. Pigsqueal

Pigsqueal

Hello back Tom,
    I am afraid I am kind of a noob with all this stuff. The Unity version is 5.6.3.p1.
    Got no idea about how to reproduse it as I did not make the game. Ijust hoped to use it on my privat mod map for vrchat. The shader makes amazing results with maps as long as its within normal 3d unity.
    Hope you are not mad for me not beeing informed at all. Just can assemble stuff with limited knowlage.
    A bit sad but this shader will have me doing more worlds just for fun.

27. Kaen_SG

Kaen_SG

Are there plans to make UBER compatible with the new 2018 HDSRP etc?

28. tomaszek

tomaszek

Your question was related to situation when you select CustomShader in graphics settings. First of all I need to know which shader in graphics settings you use as custom. Then - which UBER shader have you put there. Then if it doesn't work - select the problematic shader from UBER package you selected and check in its inspector if it got compiled w/o errors.

HDSRP shaders are 100% new set of shaders. They don't have anything common with Unity Standard Shader which UBER is built on top of. At some point I plan to check the differences and maybe implement some features for SRP shaders, but that would mean rewrtiting most part of code (giving almost completely new product). It's not on todo list for next few months though.

Tom

29. Kaen_SG

Kaen_SG

Thanks for the honesty, I'll pick up UBER then. Hopefullly there will be support for HDSRP later down the line.

30. hopeful

hopeful

From what I've read, Unity's HD SRP isn't expected to be complete till the end of 2018 (FWIW).

31. Kaen_SG

Kaen_SG

I was more of looking for developer's commitment on future updates... (like, YES when it's officially releases I will support it etc) I have heard a lot of rumors and "bad press" due to the dev's involvement in a big game.

32. Don-Gray

Don-Gray

Yes, I understood the question and the first entry here was what I was getting.
    At the time the only thing that would come up when I typed in Uber to select the custom shader was the auto-landscape version. I checked and your Uber package was already in the project.
    I have a number of projects so I'm not even really sure which one was giving me the problem right now.
    Just tested it in the project I have open and it's fine, no more questions, thanks.

33. ksam2

ksam2

Is there a way to blur normal maps of transparent shaders? I think it's necessary for a shader like human skin.

Also it seems I can't remove specular of a light! I could do that with Alloy but weird can't do same with Uber.

Last edited: May 21, 2018
  34. tomaszek

tomaszek

Skin shading isn't that much "standard" GGX one UBER/Unity Standard Shader would do. By blurring normal maps you probably mean that bumps on skin shouldn't be that "harsh" due to subsurface scattering effect. What you could do is to reduce normalmap strengh or reduce bumpmap resolution (you could use detailmap for this to decouple main normals from skin detail bumps).

What do you mean by remove "specular of a light"? A highlight? That's done via reducing smoothness. Also in specular lighting workflow if you reduce specular color to black you'd remove specular highllights from direct lights (still applied from reflection probes).

Tom

35. elements_media

elements_media

Hey! So I've been using Uber for quite a while now, and it works beautifully, except for one thing : the global parameters (at least the snow level one) stops working when the project is built. Just to be clear, it works perfectly in the editor, but does not work in the build.

Changing the materials individually gives the expected results, so I'm pretty sure the problem is in the global controller. Do you have any idea how to fix this issue?

36. tomaszek

tomaszek

Could you give me more info about test rig I should setup to reproduce the issue? When I make a build from my example scene where weather controller is used (water/snow levels on sphere example). it works fine. I'm doing so on newest UBER under Unity2017.1.0.

Tom

37. elements_media

elements_media

I tried setting up the global parameters in a clean project, and the bug persists. I am using 2017.2.0f3, but the bug happens on 2017.4 and 2018.2 as well.

I used this simple script :

Code (CSharp):
    1. public class Test : MonoBehaviour {
    3.     UBER_GlobalParams ubParams;
    4.     [SerializeField] float modifier;
    5.     [SerializeField] Text text;
    7.     void Start () {
    8.         ubParams = FindObjectOfType<UBER_GlobalParams>();
    9.     }
    11.     void FixedUpdate () {
    12.         float level = Mathf.Abs(Mathf.Sin(Time.timeSinceLevelLoad * modifier));
    13.         ubParams.SnowLevel = level;
    14.         text.text = "Value written to GlobalParams = " + level.ToString("0.00") + "\nValue read from GlobalParams = " + ubParams.SnowLevel.ToString("0.00");
    15.     }
    16. }
    And here are links to both the Unity project and the built project (PM).

As before, everything works perfectly in the editor, but not in the build.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2018
  38. tomaszek

tomaszek

Didn't know you realised it like this. You could compare it to my example scene script.

In build it's up to user to decide how frequently data from UBEr global pamars script are pushed for rendering. As it can take some microseconds doing this every FixedUpdate() is definitely not advised. Even not every Update but only when you decide changes in snowLevel are high enough to be seen.

Anyway - if you put this invokation at the end of your FixedUpdate() function:

ubParams.SetupIt();

You would have it working in build.

Tom

39. elements_media

elements_media

Thank you! I figured something was wrong with my setup, but was confused by the fact that it worked in the editor. Now it works perfectly in the build.

40. bradbecker

bradbecker

Can Uber work in 2018.1?

41. tomaszek

tomaszek

Yes, it can. If you're asking about SRP support - nope. Forward or deferred available (just like Unity's Standard Shaders does).

Tom

42. bradbecker

bradbecker

Thanks, Tom. I'm using (I believe) the latest version of Uber from the store but it was throwing compile errors because of use of the ProceduralMaterial class/properties. I just commented out that section of the Uber standard shader .cs file and it fixed the compiler errors but not sure if it is actually working or not.

43. tomaszek

tomaszek

That's weird because I remember put ProceduralMaterial class parts with conditional compilation (only with Unity versions <2018). After installing newest UBER make sure you unpacked again 2 subpackages. It's the step sometimes missed by users. Or - it throws errors again for some reason. Would need to check it again. Which Unity version do you use? For UBER version you can check verinfo.txt file included in package UBER folder (it doesn't mean 2 subpackages replaced old contents - you need to do it again).

Tom

44. Endi24

Endi24

Apart from simple things, I cannot figure out how to use tessellation, POM, translucency, blending, etc. And not only me, but a lot of newcomers here have requested a simple video where we can see how to actually set up the asset, how to tweak the values and what they do. Documentation is not meant for us newcomers at all. And please do not repeat saying that we should treat it as a standard shader- it's not alike at all. There I can drag textures in and I see the results. Here I don't even know what kinds of textures to drag in. Why is it so hard to make a damn video about it? Hell, if you can spare 10 min and a skype call with me, I'll make the video with everything I know.
    How this isn't somewhat of a priority for this asset baffles me.

45. Ruonan

Ruonan

Hey, Tom

I run into some problem when I use distance map shader.

here is the Distance map I create:

TIM图片20180725113321.png

and it looks like this in game( really pixal ):

upload_2018-7-25_11-36-25.png

also after process automatically it looks like this in Unity Editor:

upload_2018-7-25_11-37-25.png

Not sure it process right. But it does looks too pixel. Is that because the resolution of the distance map? Thanks. I am using UBER 1.2g and Unity 2017.3

46. Crossway

Crossway

This bottom cut feature is awesome but is there a way to make those holes looks thick?

Attached Files:

• GTRA.png
      GTRA.png
      File size:
      883.3 KB
      Views:
  47. tomaszek

tomaszek

Try POM advanced variant which has both parallax effect (for depth) and bottom cut functionality. I took quickly some free PBR texture:

https://www.cgbookcase.com/textures/old-wooden-wall-04

And made a setup:

UBER_POM_adv_cut.JPG
    heightmap is done automatically and is not precise, however - it shows that we can deliver sense of depth and cutting bottom parts (where heightmap is nearly black). You might notice I flipped gloss range, because texture available was only roughness which is smoothness inverted. Notice Tex2Object U/V ratios are set to 10 because I spanned material over plane (10x10 world space units) that has texture uvs set in 0..1 range (so that 1 UV unit is spanned over 10m in world space - it's esp. necessary to correctly specify (or bake in mesh - look at my pdf doc) when you plan to use write to depth being able to have other objects intersecting with holes.

Distance map variants are meant for such blocky extrusions. To have it smooth use extrusion variant (there is example in my scene with this copper-like decor disk extruded with bottom cut).

I really don't know what happened with Unity forum notification system, since I haven't received it. Today (2 months later - I know it looks very bad...) it's not a case because you probably figured out most stuff. Anyway - if you're still intereseted in sharing some thoughts via skype I'm opened - just ping me private message. POM and tessellation rely on heightmap that is stored on alpha channel of height texture - make sure you've got it, otherwise there's no chance to see the result.

Tom

Endi24 and Crossway like this.
  48. Endi24

Endi24

I totally understand, the forum has some problems with notification. In fact, I was just checking the thread and found this- no notification whatsoever! For sure, I'd love to have that skype conversation, and as I said, I can make that video tutorial and share it with others once I get to know enough about Uber myself. Thanks for taking the time, I'll PM the skype username.

49. VP_no1

VP_no1

Hi.
    I put the uber global param script on my camera.
    I copied from the example scene Rain and Snow GO and reference them to Uberscript.

The thing is that the area it covers is very very small -- how do I increase it to cover my whole scene ? How do I set height and other parameters ? I control all through particles and shaders from Rain and Snow GObjects ? I noticed that I can scale the Rain and Snow GO and play with them in some areas. Is it correct way to do it ?

Also, if I want some objects / areas to be skipped, how should I do it ? Just scale the GO ? What if I want more rain areas on my map ? I just make more GO ?

Also, I cannot see my horizontal objects being affected by the rain: shouldnt iI see watter accumulating or flowing ? Or i can only see that if I have concave objects ?
    Snow GO doesnt seem to work even if I worked on the settings in the ubber script.

What I want to achieve is to trigger rain/snow in my whole scene without, on all game objects, when an event occurs. Is it enough to enable/disable your script I have on the camera ?
    What if I want only rain or only snow ?

About platforms: is it going to work for PS4, XBOX too ?

LE: I edited my previous post because I found I did it correctly but the area covered is very small and my scene is big.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2018
  50. tomaszek

tomaszek

snow/rain game object attached to the camera is only particle spawner. It makes no sense to spawn snowflakes 5km away from the camera. Rain/snow effects in shader are technically not related here. Surfaces rendered with UBER shader can be covered both by water and snow, while snow takes precedence and covers wetness effects. To cover whole scene with snow - use UBER shader on all objects with snow feature turned on and global snow coverage control. Then you simply change global snow level in my global controller and that's it - everything gets snowy. If you want to exclude some objects or part of objects you can control snow level on them per material. Additionaly you can mask snow/rain coverage via vmesh vertex colors (by default it's blue component of mesh vertex color).

As far as I'm aware UBER should go fine with PS4 and XBOX.

Tom