Search Unity

UBER - Standard Shader Ultra

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by tomaszek, Jun 23, 2015.

1. tomaszek

tomaszek

Preset is functionality coupled with UBER inspector, not material - simply materials can't even store reference to objects other than textures. UBER creates hidden scene object that synchronizes it. Look at the response above. Presets are introduced to quickly copy group of parameters between materials (for example water/snow ones).

How do you envision the way things should work to help you with developement then? If it would be possible to implement - why not. The problem is about storing more data in object that's not suited for this (material). We would need to introduce separate component for this that would communicate with UBER inspector GUI. This is also the reason I managed things like this - material is simply material.

Tom

AndyNeoman likes this.
  2. AndyNeoman

AndyNeoman

Argh, so i'm misunderstanding the preset functionality. I thought it stored the settings for each material. So what i was doing is having a preset for rock, one for my animals and fruit etc.... but when i change one (to say gorilla) all the other rocks/fruits also changed to gorilla. I guess this is unavoidable.

3. meena-shubham

meena-shubham

I'm noob
    How do i get full tutorial for uber standard shader ultra!!!

4. tomaszek

tomaszek

The way it works is like Unity standard shader. For details there is pdf doc available:

http://www.stobierski.pl/unity/UBER.pdf

Tom

5. Enaver02

Enaver02

I'm massively struggling with how to get parallax working.

I have imported the Albedo, Normal, Height and Occlusion maps from SP. When moving the sliders nothing happens, I have tried all combinations, at most the object goes invisible or completely grey. I've read the PDF.

Even when disabling POM moving the height slider also doesn't seem to do anything.

6. tomaszek

tomaszek

Are you sure your heightmap has alpha channel with hiehgt info? By default in Unity Standard Shader it's taken from g channel. In case you have opaque rgb texture as source use alpha from grayscale in importer and use Alpha8 as compression setting to not waste memory for unused RGB channels.

Tom

7. AlenH

AlenH

Unity 2017.3.0f3 on build i get this:
    Shader error in 'UBER - Specular Setup/2 Sided/ Core': 'length': no matching 1 parameter intrinsic function; Possible intrinsic functions are: length(floatM|halfM|min10floatM|min16floatM) at Assets/UBER/Shaders/Includes/UBER_StandardShadow_Tessellation.cginc(636) (on d3d11)

Shader error in 'UBER - Specular Setup/2 Sided/ Core': invalid subscript 'vec' at Assets/UBER/Shaders/Includes/UBER_StandardShadow_Tessellation.cginc(636) (on d3d11)

UBER 1.2g (U2017.1f3 release, U2018.1b6 checked)

Any help much appreciated!
    Alen

8. Fortitude3D

Fortitude3D

9. tomaszek

tomaszek

Must be that you imported newest version but not reimported 2 included subpackages (01_importfirst, and 02_contents).
    After such installation your .cginc file that reportes bug should have such contents around the line 636:

Code (csharp):
    2. #ifdef UNITY_STANDARD_USE_SHADOW_OUTPUT_STRUCT
    3. half4 shadowOutputHelper(VertexOutputShadowCaster i, float rayLength) {
    4. #if defined(SHADOWS_CUBE) && !defined(SHADOWS_CUBE_IN_DEPTH_TEX)
    5.    // Rendering into point light (cubemap) shadows
    6.    return UnityEncodeCubeShadowDepth((length(i.vec) + rayLength + unity_LightShadowBias.x) * _LightPositionRange.w);
    7. #else
    8.    SHADOW_CASTER_FRAGMENT(i)
    9. #endif
    10. }
    11. #endif
    Tom

10. AlenH

AlenH

Yes, I didn´t import those two packages...all errors gone, thanks. Wasnt even aware of those :)

hopeful likes this.
  11. Tudor

Tudor

@tomaszek can you please tell me what is the name for your _MainTex2_ST? (the Secondary Map UV) I found _MainTex_ST in the source but not the secondary.

As a matter of fact, searching for "uniform float4 _" in the entire source, it doesn't come up lol.

I need to animate both the main albedo tiling and the secondary map albedo tiling from a c# script.

[Edit] Oh, I think I may have found it "float4 _MainTex_ST, _DetailTex_ST;" :)
    [Edit] Oh no, that was from somehere else. It has to be "_DetailAlbedoMap_ST".

Last edited: Feb 26, 2018
  12. Kriszo91

Kriszo91

Hi,

Any idea how to get this looking inside unity? its from marmoset
    I have the following textures, basecolor, normalmap, AO, height,metallic, roughness, fuzz, i tried tesselation, but very poor result :/

000.png

13. BlueRain01

BlueRain01

Hi Tom !
    I'm having errors thrown when I try to build the game :
    Shader error in 'UBER-Metallic Setup/Core' : invalid subscript 'vec' at Assets/UBER/Shaders/includes/UBER_StandardShadow_Tessellation_.cgnic(636) (on d3d11)
    It's strange because it WORKS before .

14. 265lutab

265lutab

I'm getting build errors when trying to build for HTCVive with Viveport. I'm using unity 2017.2.0p2-MRTP5. I do have a copy of the Refraction shader that I have set to use exponential fog as one of my scenes uses exponential and the other uses exponential squared, but I haven't had problems building it till now.

Shader error in 'UBER - Specular Setup/Refraction/Core': Too many output registers declared (12). When no output register has been declared with the semantic 'psize0', 11 o# registers are available. When an o# register has been declared with the semantic 'psize0' (same as 'psize'), 12 registers are available. at /Program Files/Unity 2017.2.0p2-MRTP5/Editor/Data/CGIncludes/UnityCG.cginc(778) (on d3d9)

Compiling Vertex program with DIRECTIONAL SHADOWS_SCREEN LOD_FADE_CROSSFADE _WETNESS_NONE
    Platform defines: UNITY_ENABLE_REFLECTION_BUFFERS UNITY_USE_DITHER_MASK_FOR_ALPHABLENDED_SHADOWS UNITY_PBS_USE_BRDF1 UNITY_SPECCUBE_BOX_PROJECTION UNITY_SPECCUBE_BLENDING UNITY_ENABLE_DETAIL_NORMALMAP SHADER_API_DESKTOP

Shader error in 'UBER - Specular Setup/Refraction/Core': Too many output registers declared (12). When no output register has been declared with the semantic 'psize0', 11 o# registers are available. When an o# register has been declared with the semantic 'psize0' (same as 'psize'), 12 registers are available. at Assets/UBER/Shaders/Includes/UBER_StandardCore.cginc(1133) (on d3d9)

Compiling Vertex program with DIRECTIONAL LOD_FADE_CROSSFADE _WETNESS_NONE
    Platform defines: UNITY_ENABLE_REFLECTION_BUFFERS UNITY_USE_DITHER_MASK_FOR_ALPHABLENDED_SHADOWS UNITY_PBS_USE_BRDF1 UNITY_SPECCUBE_BOX_PROJECTION UNITY_SPECCUBE_BLENDING UNITY_ENABLE_DETAIL_NORMALMAP SHADER_API_DESKTOP

15. 265lutab

265lutab

I found the problem. When I changed the project to Windows Standalone from UWP Dx9 support was added to the graphics APIs and Dx9 dose not support as many output registers. Removing Dx9 from the graphics APIs fixed it.

hopeful likes this.
  16. tomaszek

tomaszek

To get such level of detail you would need to tessellate your mesh like crazy. Expect serious performance drop then due to ineffectie small triangles rasterization. Better to use POM cranked to higher level (more steps). Refer to my pdf doc for guidelines (performance wise). Heightmap needs to be stored in alpha channel. Import your heightmap (most probably B&W - RGB) with "transparency from grayscale" and use explicit ecoding "alpha8" to skip unused RGB channels. Mix basecolor with AO using texture channel mixer tool (available right from UBEr material inspector). Store mettalic in G channel (or reconfigure it in shader code - look at #define section below properties, you could look at UBER_StandardConfig.cginc file as well). Alpha channel of the same UBER input is meant to store smoothntess (it's inverted roughness like smoothness = 1-roguhness). You don't need to inveret roughness map though - you can flip min/max range in UBER inspector instead. Fuzz - it's used to map diffuse scattering. In UBER it's constant, so your moss can't be shaded different way. Some people worked this around using snow with green color to mimic moss - results were pretty convincing. Eventualy you could try to split rock/moss into 2 layers and use 2layers UBEr variant. It needs some creativity with blending (right heightmaps for 1st and 2nd layer) or apply moss using detail. It doesn't provide way to control diffuse scattering (fuzz) separately though.

The error shows up only when you use pointlight shadows on transparent objects. Only in newer Unity and old UBER. Reimport newest UBER. Reimport 2 UBER subpackages (01_... then 02_...). The problem will be gone.

Tom

17. BlueRain01

BlueRain01

[
    The error shows up only when you use pointlight shadows on transparent objects. Only in newer Unity and old UBER. Reimport newest UBER. Reimport 2 UBER subpackages (01_... then 02_...). The problem will be gone.

Tom[/QUOTE]

Hi Tom!
    Actually the error was gone by deleting VRWorks from my project .
    I wasn't using any point lights in my scenes .
    Okba.

18. jammer42777

jammer42777

Hi Tom!
    And all other Uber users who will appreciate this.
    I am using some prefabs for the models and textures.
    Uber as the shader, and some post processing effects.
    Thank you! Continuing to appreciate Uber!

Thoronnim_Crystalia and tomaszek like this.
  19. jammer42777

jammer42777

Here is a tweaked version with the the tonemapper, motion blur and anti aliasing from the post processing stack. (With Uber as the shaders)

Rowlan and hippocoder like this.
  20. TechnicalArtist

TechnicalArtist

Any optimization for ios ?

21. jammer42777

jammer42777

Thank you for the kind words.
    However this isn't a game it's only an exercise for me in shaders and post processing. Eventually I will have a game out though and I am planning on mobile versions.
    However what your seeing is only for honing my skills.
    I wanted to give Uber credit as it is the shader that I am using.

TechnicalArtist likes this.
  22. 265lutab

265lutab

When moving the game I'm working on to Unity 2017.3 for HTC Vive and Oculus Rift I am getting errors in the UBER shader. When I try to build the game it fails to build and gives me these errors. I'm using UBER shader 1.2e and I had DirectX 11 as the only graphics API. (I plan to add DirectX 12 in the next version)

In the game I have one scene using exponential fog and one using exponential squared fog. I have copies of the _UBERShader_Metallic_2Sided and _UBERShader_Specular_Refraction shaders that are pointing to a copy of UBER_ForwardFogType that has been set to exponential fog instead of exponential squared.

Shader error in 'UBER - Specular Setup/Refraction/Core': 'length': no matching 1 parameter intrinsic function; Possible intrinsic functions are: length(floatM|halfM|min10floatM|min16floatM) at Assets/UBER/Shaders/Includes/UBER_StandardShadow_Tessellation.cginc(636) (on d3d11)

Compiling Vertex program with SHADOWS_CUBE _WETNESS_NONE

Platform defines: UNITY_ENABLE_REFLECTION_BUFFERS UNITY_USE_DITHER_MASK_FOR_ALPHABLENDED_SHADOWS UNITY_PBS_USE_BRDF1 UNITY_SPECCUBE_BOX_PROJECTION UNITY_SPECCUBE_BLENDING UNITY_ENABLE_DETAIL_NORMALMAP SHADER_API_DESKTOP UNITY_LIGHT_PROBE_PROXY_VOLUME UNITY_LIGHTMAP_RGBM_ENCODING

----------

Shader error in 'UBER - Specular Setup/Refraction/Core': invalid subscript 'vec' at Assets/UBER/Shaders/Includes/UBER_StandardShadow_Tessellation.cginc(636) (on d3d11)

Compiling Vertex program with SHADOWS_CUBE _WETNESS_NONE

Platform defines: UNITY_ENABLE_REFLECTION_BUFFERS UNITY_USE_DITHER_MASK_FOR_ALPHABLENDED_SHADOWS UNITY_PBS_USE_BRDF1 UNITY_SPECCUBE_BOX_PROJECTION UNITY_SPECCUBE_BLENDING UNITY_ENABLE_DETAIL_NORMALMAP SHADER_API_DESKTOP UNITY_LIGHT_PROBE_PROXY_VOLUME UNITY_LIGHTMAP_RGBM_ENCODING

----------

Shader error in 'UBER - Metallic Setup/2 Sided/ Core': 'length': no matching 1 parameter intrinsic function; Possible intrinsic functions are: length(floatM|halfM|min10floatM|min16floatM) at Assets/UBER/Shaders/Includes/UBER_StandardShadow_Tessellation.cginc(636) (on d3d11)

Compiling Vertex program with SHADOWS_CUBE _ALPHATEST_ON _WETNESS_NONE

----------

Shader error in 'UBER - Metallic Setup/2 Sided/ Core': invalid subscript 'vec' at Assets/UBER/Shaders/Includes/UBER_StandardShadow_Tessellation.cginc(636) (on d3d11)

Compiling Vertex program with SHADOWS_CUBE _ALPHATEST_ON _WETNESS_NONE

----------

Shader error in 'UBER - Metallic Setup/2 Sided/ Core_expFog': 'length': no matching 1 parameter intrinsic function; Possible intrinsic functions are: length(floatM|halfM|min10floatM|min16floatM) at Assets/UBER/Shaders/Includes/UBER_StandardShadow_Tessellation.cginc(636) (on d3d11)

Compiling Vertex program with SHADOWS_CUBE INSTANCING_ON _ALPHATEST_ON

----------

Shader error in 'UBER - Metallic Setup/2 Sided/ Core_expFog': invalid subscript 'vec' at Assets/UBER/Shaders/Includes/UBER_StandardShadow_Tessellation.cginc(636) (on d3d11)

Compiling Vertex program with SHADOWS_CUBE INSTANCING_ON _ALPHATEST_ON

23. tomaszek

tomaszek

Reimport newest UBER that has fix for this. As you're at farther developement stage you coulod not overwrite all files but only core .cginc ones. (fog type doesn't apply).

Tom

24. 265lutab

265lutab

Does that mean that I won't need to have separate shaders for the two fog types in the new version?

25. tomaszek

tomaszek

It does mean you should be able to compile shaders w/o errors.

Tom

265lutab likes this.
  26. TechnicalArtist

TechnicalArtist

Hi,
    In arkit uber shaders does not fully react with ARAmbient light.
    (Reflection value not change according to ARAmbient light)

27. YuriyPopov

YuriyPopov

Hi there, I have a question. Currently I'm on a very small indie team of 3 people and we are using Unity Collaborate. I'm thinking of buying and using the Uber shader but will that break our collab? Do I need one copy of it or do I need to buy 3 ? Thanks in advance.

28. AndyNeoman

AndyNeoman

Hi @tomaszek, Do you plan on making uber supprt instancing indirect in the future? Is it something you have looked at?

29. TechnicalArtist

TechnicalArtist

Hi,
    How to uber shader optimize for ios?

30. jebalsaad

jebalsaad

Hi there,

I just bought Uber due to the reviews recommendation, but don't know what am doing wrong. I set up the scene as should be and the project setting and yet I do not get the desired result especially depth. Any idea or suggestion what to do make this to work. thanks

31. tomaszek

tomaszek

UBER appears in AssetStore as per set lincese. So - if you all work with shaders/materials - then yes I'd say. But if you're the guy who setup materials, the other is for example programmer I guess it's not necessary to buy more copies. For example in team of 30 people where only 2-3 persons are responsible of environment setup it's not necessary to buy 30 licenses I'd say. If you share the project in collab UBEr comes as one of assets that need to be installed (UBER folder) for all users. It shouldn't break anything.

Not sure what you mean "indirect" - using DrawMeshInstancedIndirect API call? UBER is already enabled for instancing (or you need to enable it by uncommenting #pragma multi_compile_instancing everywhere in selecte UBER shader). Enable instancing button is available at the bottom of UBER inspector as it is in Unity Standard Shader.

Meant to be GLES3 and up so it should work on such hardware. You can't expect wonders comparing to PC or consoles (like fast tessellation or POM).

Most common is heightmap needs data on its alpha channel. It's often overlooked. If you use B&W texture you need to enable "transparency from grayscale" in texture importer - then you can use Alpha8 encoding (RGB channels are not used). Otherwise heightmap is treat as "white" and no parallax effects work.

Tom

32. AndyNeoman

AndyNeoman

33. Harekelas

Harekelas

Hi there, I've got two error logs when I try to build the game:
    Shader error in 'UBER - Specular Setup/ Core': invalid subscript 'xyw' at Assets/_SuperTrampers/Assets/UBER/Shaders/Includes/UBER_StandardShadow_Tessellation.cginc(657) (on d3d9)
    With windows 10, DX11 unity plus.
    Nvidia GT730 graphic card.
    Any suggestions?

34. tomaszek

tomaszek

DX9 is obsolete platform in Unity. Unless you really really need to deliver your game for it (which would cover like %1 of all players) you should remove it from build (look at Unity player settings).

Tom

35. Harekelas

Harekelas

Hi Tom,
    Thanks for the reply, but I don't know how to remove DX9 in unity :(
    Looked into player settings but only found a fullscreen mode related to DX9:
    upload_2018-3-27_16-27-2.png

36. tomaszek

tomaszek

Look at "other settings" tab( unfold it). Uncheck "Auto graphics API for windows", you'll see Direct3D9 on the list - remove it.

Tom

37. Harekelas

Harekelas

Ah, it hides here!
    Thank you very much

38. Gravitymama

Gravitymama

Hi,do you know what is _LightPositionRange.w for directional light?

39. tomaszek

tomaszek

Not sure - you could check it in Unity includes. you can download Unity shader sources and find "_LightPositionRange.w" usage there. That's a hint I can give quick for now.

Tom

40. TechnicalArtist

TechnicalArtist

Hey,
    Can uber support lightweight pipeline?

41. tomaszek

tomaszek

UBER is like Unity Standard shader - eighter forward or deferred rendering pipelines are available.

Tom

42. TechnicalArtist

TechnicalArtist

Thanks for the reply.

Unity modified Standard shader & provide with lightweight pipeline template.

43. Go2ready

Go2ready

Hello Tom, I am a bit noob in the shader but I got you asset cause it looks amazing. Do you have a tutorial or someway to create cloth(t shirt) like material?

44. tomaszek

tomaszek

Basically you would use it like Unity Standard shader. What's needed is set of correct PBR textures. You might google for such. Then add a little bit of diffuse scattering and tweak translucency if you need it. UBER itself doesn't offer anything special for t-shirts specifically ;).

Tom

45. Ash4DVW

Ash4DVW

Hi Tom,

Not sure if this has been answered before or if this is even an UBER specific question. I am trying to create a material in runtime and assign the Uber Refractive Core shader for glass effect. But the parameters don't get applied until I open the inspector for that object and change a value (say the refraction float) and then the material updates itself to look the way it needs to look.

What could I be doing wrong and how can I get the shader to apply itself or refresh the material through the scripts.

Thanks
    Ash.

46. tomaszek

tomaszek

Selecting material in inspector means that its script is called to setup not only material properties, but also some other stuff like keywords and rendering queue (it's not hardcoded because shader can act like opaque, transparent, etc.). Tak a look at Editor folder in UBEr inspatallation - there is inspector script used for UBER that makes things "happen".

Tom

47. Ash4DVW

Ash4DVW

Thanks for pointing me the right direction Tom. I got it working now. For anyone else that might chance upon this post, I ended up copying out the following functions from the editor inspector script.

SetupMaterialWithBlendMode
    SetupMaterialWithShadowCullMode
    SetMaterialKeywords

And a few associated enums and patched up the function calls to suit my needs.

48. wkidwell

wkidwell

The Uber Shader looks awesome! Is the shader compatible with Unity 2017.30f3 or are earlier versions of Unity recommended? Thanks for any info on this.

49. ThermodynamicsMakesMeHot

ThermodynamicsMakesMeHot

Unity 5.6.0f1
    UBER 1.2g (U2017.1f3 release, U2018.1b6 checked)

Unable to to use UBER in WEBGL..maybe it's not meant to be..any ideas? Wrong uber version?=Does not offer any other for download.

Error:
    unrecognized identifier 'UNITY_POSITION'
    Compiling Vertex program with DIRECTIONAL _WETNESS_NONE
    Platform defines: UNITY_ENABLE_REFLECTION_BUFFERS UNITY_USE_DITHER_MASK_FOR_ALPHABLENDED_SHADOWS UNITY_PBS_USE_BRDF1 UNITY_SPECCUBE_BOX_PROJECTION UNITY_SPECCUBE_BLENDING UNITY_ENABLE_DETAIL_NORMALMAP SHADER_API_DESKTOP UNITY_COLORSPACE_GAMMA

50. Hazneliel

Hazneliel

Hello, Im on Unity 2017.3.1

I have the issue that if I change a property via script, it wont be reflected on the material. For example I change the glossiness from a script and the material wont gloss. The weird thing is that If I change this from the editor it will work.

Most weird is that if I change it from script, it wont work but as soon as I move the slider just a little bit, it will now reflect the change in the material.

I hope anyone can help me with this. Thanks you