Search Unity

1. If you have experience with import & exporting custom (.unitypackage) packages, please help complete a survey (open until May 15, 2024).
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Tutorial Designer - Visual Scripting for event based Workflow

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Migoun, Oct 21, 2016.

1. Noa3

Noa3

i will tell the creator of this asset the problematic, thx.

now i get a problem, Tutorial Designer dont add probably the TextMesh Pro UGUI to the Gameobject.
    I get TextMesh Pro from the Packagemangaer, is this causing the problem?

Last edited: Nov 17, 2018
  2. Baroni

Baroni

Honestly I haven't tried, my colleague will respond soon (but probably not on the weekend).

Noa3 likes this.
  3. Noa3

Noa3

thanks for the fast Reply.

i got now a Problem with the Variable Editor.

what i did:
    1. New Project
    2. New Scene
    3. Created new Tutorial
    4.Opend Variable Editor
    5. Clicked Add
    6. Get this error:

Code (CSharp):
    1. NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    2. TutorialDesigner.VariableEditor.OnGUI () (at Assets/TutorialDesigner/Editor/VariableEditor.cs:31)
    3. System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:222)
    4. Rethrow as TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.
    5. System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:232)
    6. System.Reflection.MethodBase.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Object[] parameters) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MethodBase.cs:115)
    7. UnityEditor.HostView.Invoke (System.String methodName, System.Object obj) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/HostView.cs:295)
    8. UnityEditor.HostView.Invoke (System.String methodName) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/HostView.cs:288)
    9. UnityEditor.HostView.OldOnGUI () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/HostView.cs:104)
    10. UnityEngine.Experimental.UIElements.IMGUIContainer.DoOnGUI (UnityEngine.Event evt, Boolean isComputingLayout) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/UIElements/IMGUIContainer.cs:216)

i think the Object is not created before i can use it.

Edit:
    If i save and reload the scene the error is gone

Edit2: The variable editor needs an Vertical slider!

Last edited: Nov 18, 2018
  4. Noa3

Noa3

my sugesstion for your asset, which will it make a lot more usefull:

make it possibile to check if a value is exact, less or more in the event window.
    something like this:

and second, make it pls Possibile to check for float values

Attached Files:

5. RGAssets

RGAssets

Hi, thanks a lot for your help. All right I've verified this issue with your version. Unity has become really quick with making changes in the Editor. I'm going to fix this during this week and will push an update this weekend.

Best, Michael

Noa3 likes this.
  6. Noa3

Noa3

thanks for the update, the mosth things work now. like make variables and create buttons.

with TextMesh Pro from unity Packagemanager:

- i create a new tutorial, a new step, select "Dialogue_vertical_TMP" and create a button, the step window flicker.
    - now if i create a text, and add a button. but change the Dialog in the step to "No Dialogue" the connector for the button still remain.

thanks for your time!

7. Migoun

Migoun

Thanks for the hint, appreciate it. I assume you used the version from yesterday, and you are using Unity 2018 (Packagemanager), right?
    However I couldn't verify the flickering issue, the second bug is fixed and will be pushed today. As far as the UI in Unity 2018 is concerned, there are lots of features now that have an impact on the UI performance in general. I'll be changing this to native UIElement in the next bigger release to have a nicer and smoother experience.
    Also Unity confirmed that TextMesh Pro can have alignment issues that need extra workarounds in Unity 2018, they say it will be gone in Unity 2019. Just a heads up.

Noa3 likes this.
  8. Noa3

Noa3

thanks, if i get the flickering reproductive, i tell here

9. Noa3

Noa3

i have two more whishes if this possibilie to realize it with the next patch:

1. Can you pls add Script Assembly Files?
    2. Pls dont put stuff unnecceary in Resource folders(the demo) and do if possibile, references in the scenes. Because it can have a huge impact on a small Project and its size. Thx!

10. Migoun

Migoun

Hi, you can delete the demo files anytime. But it you leave them, they won't be compiled into your game. So it has no impact on your game unless you include this scene in your game.

General information, changes of version 1.3.3 from November 26th 2018:
    - SmartLocalization Update
    - Variable Editor Fix
    - Tutorial Save Fix
    - Serialization Fix on SavePoint

Noa3 likes this.
  11. Noa3

Noa3

Hoi, loading and saving of tutorials are not working as excepted, please have a look:
    Unity 2017.2.17f1

Orginal saved:

Loaded Tutorial

a whish, is it possibile to make copy&past the tutorials or parts of them?

Attached Files:

12. Migoun

Migoun

I can’t really see what’s wrong on your screenshots here. Could you please send them by email again? If it’s a general problem, we can likely discuss it here. If it’s dependent on your game, i’d rather solve it per mail so we don’t spam this forum here, if that’s ok for you?

You can already copy and paste nodes.

Best, Michael

13. anogame_watanabe

anogame_watanabe

When you move to the scene where you created the tutorial, the tutorial does not work at all (only the first one will be displayed)

I think that there are two or more scenes in the game to actually create, but a big question remains whether it really wrote out to the mobile and tested it or the actual game.

I think that it is garbage asset when the tutorial can not be started from the script.
    If there are people who are suffering from purchase, you should absolutely avoid this asset

14. Migoun

Migoun

Hello, can you please provide more information on what exactly is not working? This sounds like you just didn't define a Start Node (Right click on a node -> "Start here"). Page 4 in the documentation.
    We're happy to help you with your game. If you need help, please mail us with informations like, Unity Version, screenshots and invoice id. Thank you.

15. TillmaniaLtd

TillmaniaLtd

Hey great asset

Last edited: Mar 5, 2019
    julianr likes this.
  16. Astraius

Astraius

so like, will this work for a VR game setup too?

17. RGAssets

RGAssets

Yes, as in any other 3d game you can use the dialogues as 2d and 3d objects. Either on the canvas or somewhere in the room. For VR I'd recommend, using the TextMeshPro option instead of UGUI for text.

18. sonicviz

sonicviz

Hi,

I've had some of your other assets for a long time and really like the quality. Thanks for that!

I'm interested in TD but the last couple of reviews raise some -ve points about the ability to easily modify the UI elements. Are you addressing this in an upcoming update?

The reason I ask is I have a very heavy tutorial requirement to create some instructional content, and this could be the difference between a great dev experience and an extremely painful one.

19. Migoun

Migoun

Thanks for the message! The included UI elements are used for generic dialogues. You can customize a lot with them, they are for all-round usage. If you need other UI than that, f.i. More complex ones, used for a very specific type of game, then you would use own UI objects and trigger them by the running Tutorial.
    You can of course modify anything by accessing the prefab directly.

20. sonicviz

sonicviz

Thanks.

Could you elaborate on this review point:
    "My main issue, and it's a big one, is with the way this asset handles its UI. For some reason, it instantiates a new prefab for each step of the tutorial. So our scene, which contains 6 tutorials, has over 30 unpacked prefab instances of the same UI dialogue window. Meaning that every time the designer makes any changes to the UI template, I have to manually go through each tutorial step and re-instantiate the tutorial windows. Also, the tutorial description is saved in those UI instances and not serialized together with the rest of the data. The tutorial dialogue template is really basic and uses Tranform.Find to get references to its components, which fails the moment you move the text or button components down in the hierarchy. We basically had to rewrite the Dialogue class for it to work with a production-ready UI template."

21. Migoun

Migoun

Always hard to tell what exactly is targeted when reading such texts. For me it sounds like this user wants to extend the asset for a very specific problem. Steps can be changed by multiselection, all at once. Multiple instances of TD doesn’t make sense anyway, because the tutorial can go different paths.
    TD is made up for fitting most Game Tutorial Types while retaining usability. If you are interested how Prefabs and dialogues work together, there are YouTube videos on how to use this asset. Maybe you get a better idea by taking a look at them?

22. sonicviz

sonicviz

>>there are YouTube videos on how to use this asset.

I only see the trailer and

Is that what you mean?

23. Migoun

Migoun

Yes for example. There is also a getting started video linked on the asset, or on our YouTube channel where you got this one from. Hope this helps

24. sonicviz

sonicviz

What about the use case where I want to do multiple tutorials per scene?
    Can you create them as modules and load them on demand or are you locked to just one linear tutorial per scene?

25. Migoun

Migoun

Like I said, you can go different paths. F. I. A node that splits into multiple paths, where every path is a different tutorial. But there is only one Tutorial Editor. No nested Tutorials or module management etc. so if you would put 10 super complex tutorials into one scene, it would may be the wrong case for this

26. sonicviz

sonicviz

That's why I'm asking now. Thanks for the answers.

27. tolosaoldfan

tolosaoldfan

Hei,
    is there a way to display a dialog without button, then, after x seconds, display a button ?
    Because a lot of users don't take time to read the tutorial instructions and click directly on the "Ok" button, it could be good to force them to read.

28. ffman22

ffman22

Hello, I have a question, I am working in a 2D metroidvania game, and we are looking for a dialogue and quest plugin, and I have some questions:
    • can we use the Tutorial Designer to create all the quest and the dialogue for the game, and this one can handle multiple quest at the same time?
    • and is posible to use a portraid for the dialogue part, like a for example a sprite, game object or maybe a group of sprites.

29. RGAssets

RGAssets

@tolosaoldfan: Yes it's possible. In fact the Soccer demo has something similar. For support in general, please go to https://www.rebound-games.com/forum/ -> TutorialDesigner

@ffman22: Yes you can create custom dialogues, I'm not sure what you mean by "Quest". Tutorial Designer can do custom Events and Functions, defined in your Code. A bit like visual scripting but for Tutorials.