Search Unity

1. If you have experience with import & exporting custom (.unitypackage) packages, please help complete a survey (open until May 15, 2024).
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Trying to import small assets locks up my computer

Discussion in 'Linux' started by mwead7, Sep 25, 2015.

1. mwead7

mwead7

I am running Ubuntu 14.04 and Unity3D works great up until I try to import the essentials package. It starts the import and then it says importing small assets and the progress bar reaches about 1/3 of the way, and then everything just locks up. I have to do a hard restart to get things going again. Any ideas? Thanks!

2. mortalglitch

mortalglitch

I had this happen once when using import directly from the Asset Store while I was running OpenBox, I switched back to to Xfce and have been a lot more stable on it and Unity. I'm uncertain if it's directly related though it could have just been a fluke. I have also had better luck with importing assets from the Start Up Screen -> New Project -> Select Assets.

mwead7 likes this.
  3. mwead7

mwead7

Thank you for the suggestions, mortalglitch. I tried both and still no luck. Still locks up when it gets to the loading small assets point. I have 4 days in which to get this to work or drop my game development class.

4. mortalglitch

mortalglitch

Could try importing it manually after Unity has loaded.

Create a new project.
    Click on Assets -> Import Package -> Custom Package
    This will pull up a file manager. You will want to most likely be in your home directory.
    Show hidden files (Ctrl + H on most for Linux GUI file managers)
    Go into .local -> share -> unity3d -> Asset Store-5.x -> Unity Technologies -> Unity EssentialsAsset Packs -> Standard Assets.unitypackage
    (Like mine is /home/mortalglitch/.local/share/unity3d/Asset Store-5.x/Unity Technologies/Unity EssentialsAsset Packs/Standard Assets.unitypackage)

This may let you import, I'm kind of digging here. If this doesn't work it may be worthwhile to try and download the assets again.

5. mwead7

mwead7

Thank you. That actually worked. The only issue is that I can't load the Speedtree assets, specifically anything with 'Branches_0.mat' in the name. Not sure if it is my computer or something in the file. If I try to load those specific files, my comp locks up every time. Everything else loaded fine.

New issue: When I try to open, say the sample car scene, my screen goes blank. Again, hard restart required to get going again. It may be my hardware. I'll try to research further.

6. mortalglitch

mortalglitch

Sounds like a graphics driver or opengl is freaking out a bit. Are you running the nvidia proprietary pack or other?