Search Unity

1. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity is excited to announce that we will be collaborating with TheXPlace for a summer game jam from June 13 - June 19. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

True story.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RJ-MacReady, Nov 22, 2014.

1. RJ-MacReady

RJ-MacReady

Once there was a guy who dreamed of being a game maker. When he thought he was ready, he said, "I will create my game. But, first... I need to find the perfect engine and programming language." The first one he finds is Unity... "Unity?" he scoffs, "But I want to be a real developer." So, he searched and searched until he did, months later. Then, he said, "Now I can finally begin making my game! But, first... I need to create the perfect game design document." So he went about it, and months later, it was finished. Then he said, "Time to start implementing the design. But, first... I need my art resources." So, he sourced artists and musicians and finally had to shell out cash for everything, until many months later it was done. He had all he needed to build the game. He said, "Finally! Now I can really begin making my game! But, first... I need to decide on a monetization strategy." He takes classes, purchases video series, reads books, talks to other developers... until several months later, he knows exactly how to market his game. Then he says, "Now I know how to do everything. I can start development tomorrow. But, first... I need to decide my target platform." He researches, only to find that the engine he's chosen doesn't support the latest version of XYZ_GL and his game simply must have an effect from that library and be playable on a LG MacGuffin... He says, "Now I have to choose a different engine." The new engine can do what he wants, but it requires him to learn a new programming language. Rather than that, he decides he might as well build his own engine. Years go by, he creates EXDEATHSKULLFORGE GT the world's fastest, best game engine and decides he may as well market it. Several years go by and his engine still isn't used by more than a handful of developers, with only a few games having been completed in it. His bug list is a mile long. Stressed out, he quits. Just out of boredom, he downloads Unity and makes a game in 7 weeks that gets several thousand downloads.

"It's just too bad," he says, "that I could never be a real developer."

Cogent and GarBenjamin like this.
  2. landon912

landon912

Ok? That's cool. To be a real developer is only a social construct in ones own mind. If you think you are a real developer, then you are.

3. RJ-MacReady

RJ-MacReady

;-)

4. nestg

nestg

Aleluya brother!

5. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

What's with the performance requirements anyway? Like 3-above said, a developer is fiction anyway.

6. RJ-MacReady

RJ-MacReady

I never understand what you write, is it like metaphysical?

GarBenjamin likes this.
  7. landon912

landon912

Not sure why you even come here. To be passive agressive to everyone? To post pointless topics? To spam 200 posts a week now?

8. RJ-MacReady

RJ-MacReady

Yes.

tmp_7271-cat-surrenders-with-hands-up1584522577.jpg

You got me.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2014
    zDemonhunter99, Cogent and Ony like this.
  9. Ricks

Ricks

I like these anecdotes :)

Cogent likes this.
  10. RJ-MacReady

RJ-MacReady

I thought it was a funny story to make you think about how many people go this route, rather than focus on their goal and just go for it and see what happens.

11. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

I have been "that guy" to quite a degree although not to that point. Great story.

12. Ony

Ony

I write a post, think about it and delete it moments later, and in that space of 45 seconds it gets quoted. Damn you instant Internet communication!

RJ-MacReady likes this.
  13. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

You're a liar, and I'm going to call you out. You haven't really been making games since 1647.

Cogent and Ony like this.
  14. RJ-MacReady

RJ-MacReady

Helical likes this.
  15. Ony

Ony

Have so!!! Besides, when the dance frog shines, game developers right on.

Am I right?

hippocoder likes this.
  16. superpig

superpig

Drink more water! Unity Technologies

I assumed it meant since 4:47pm.

sootie8, Helical and Ony like this.
  17. elmar1028

elmar1028

Story of MMORPG "developer"

Playing WoW. "Man. Blizzard makes so much money. If they can I can do it too! But wait, I have no idea what even code is. I can't even model and draw! :( Where should I look for help?" Thinks for a while then...eureka!

"Of course! Unity's Collaboration forum will do!"

18. Cogent

Cogent

Absolutely!

Good story. Paragraph structure needs work though... :p

/good_job

(+1 Attention Cookie)

Last edited: Nov 23, 2014
  19. Helical

Helical

If he was a true game developer he would go another step down the line. Because all these Turing Machine wannabies just aint gonna cut it. He should devise a quantum computing model that can do what a turing machine can't do, and on that basis create a new computer that can telepathically comminucate with brains, and has the processing power of all current petiums and i7 cores combined. Then he can really make video games.

RJ-MacReady likes this.
  20. Glader

Glader

No, because of Unity's terrible garbage collection a real developer would need to invent an NTM so that freeing allocations runs in constant time so that his game could have better performance.

21. RJ-MacReady

RJ-MacReady

It's not supposed to be a paragraph structure, it's supposed to illustrate a lack of structure. A person who is just too smart, thinking too quickly non-stop. Think of it as stream of consciousness.

Cogent likes this.
  22. RJ-MacReady

RJ-MacReady

Why stop there? If what I have seen in anime and what I know about comic book characters, it's possible to obtain secret knowledge of the universe. Why not just become 'god', first? Build a crazy ray to grant yourself the powers of Dr. Manhattan and recreate the human race from scratch. Then you can invent the quantum learning machine that will be able to produce your game... finally!

23. RJ-MacReady

RJ-MacReady

Actual technical discussion is verboten.

24. Kavorka

Kavorka

Not getting involved in the discussion, but I stole that cat picture :)

RJ-MacReady and Stoven like this.
  25. high-octane

high-octane

Who the expletive told you that switching to C++ guarantees better performance or means that freeing allocations run in constant time?

26. RJ-MacReady

RJ-MacReady

Duh... everybody who is pro knows this implicitly.

27. high-octane

high-octane

Sure, if they're a pro in repeating convenient myths. Garbage collection might be show stopper for certain people, but it's never stopped large studios and successful indies from shipping quality titles made with Unity and other engines made with managed memory languages. A person who switches to C++ merely because of bad garbage collection and does not understand pooling or avoiding unnecessary allocations to begin with, is most likely going to end up with a rubbish C++ engine that will fail miserably against even mediocre engines made in C#, Java, etc.

Trigve and RJ-MacReady like this.
  28. Glader

Glader

Because switching to C++ == a non-deterministic turing machine. Did you even read what I said? Read before you explode into a C++ rant. I'm anti-C++.

29. ZJP

ZJP

Welcome. :p

30. high-octane

high-octane

Ok, so instead of familiarizing oneself with memory pooling and avoiding unnecessary allocations that trigger garbage collection (both of which can be beneficial for a development environment regardless of garbage collection or not) it's always better to jump ship and spend almost all of one's time debugging custom memory allocators instead of developing a game.

31. Glader

Glader

A non-deterministic turing machine is a theoretical computing device. It may or may not exist or be possible to implement. With a NTM you could collect garbage in constant time among other seemingly magical achievements such as searching in constant time and other nonsense. It has nothing to do with algorithms or custom allocators. It's a response to the person above me, who I quoted, who mentioned that a real developer would diverge entirely from standard computation in general to maximize which that itself was also a joke.

Once again you fail to read or understand, when a google search could suffice, what my post was about even in the simpler form. I, and most people who need to utilize them, are familiar with pooling strategies to take pressure of the GC. I'm not recommending someone "jump ship" to a NON-EXISTENT computing device unless of course they can because a NTM would obviously be desireable.

32. superpig

superpig

Drink more water! Unity Technologies

Wouldn't a non-deterministic Turing machine just be a Turing machine that doesn't work very well?

Cogent likes this.
  33. Glader

Glader

It'd be an interesting Turing machine. Given all potential paths S where S can also be described as containing all possible combinations of memory block allocations for a given point of time that can or cannot be freed up. A NTM would be capable of, in constant time, determining the path such that all non-live objects that have not had their allocations freed up will have their the allocations freed.

If I'm not mistaken it would be the most efficient garbage collector imaginable viewing the entire collection of memory block allocations and freeing them up in constant time.

The Resolution of Multiple Rules section of this Wikipedia article describes it assuming that I understand it; I could very well be wrong. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-deterministic_Turing_machine

Edit: This was all meant to be a one line joke in response to someone else's comment about another theoretical computing device. Instead someone who DID NOT read or understand the joke/post quoted it and went on a rant about how switching to C++ for garbage collection would be a bad idea and then continued to rant about it for no reason even though the post I made had nothing to do with C++ at all.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2014