Search Unity

1. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity is excited to announce that we will be collaborating with TheXPlace for a summer game jam from June 13 - June 19. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Translation problem with additional humanoid bones

Discussion in 'Animation' started by Nicolas-L-Boxit, Jun 15, 2016.

1. Nicolas-L-Boxit

Nicolas-L-Boxit

So i've been having trouble on animation translating extra-bones in a humanoid avatar.
    I have an fbx of the character's model which its avatar is configured as humanoid.
    Then i have another fbx with board animations. This fbx has an armature configured as standard humanoid and also have two bones for the board root. Also in the animation clips the transform mask is set so the board root is ticked.

board-animation-animation-mask.jpg

When playing the animations in the character's model, looks good at the humanoid parts, but the board root is only animated on its rotation when i also need the translation info. Here you can see that the board is not positionally correct.

animation-merged.jpg

In the character's animator component the avatar set is the one created by the model fbx, NOT the board animation fbx. But changing it did not solve the problem.
    Shouldn't bones that are not set as humanoid and included in transform mask maintain its original information, such as translation, rotation, scale? What could be the problem here?

2. Nicolas-L-Boxit

Nicolas-L-Boxit

Happens the same on eye lids ("Blink_L", "Blink_R"). Its a bone that is not registered by humanoid avatar. When i selected it on animation transform mask the position is incorrect.

3. Nicolas-L-Boxit

Nicolas-L-Boxit

I've noticed that the bone moves slightly.

slightly-translation.jpg

You can see the translation applied is very low when it should be higher. We've been working with the armature scale but still no progress.
    I know that unity overrides the scale of the bones, this could be affecting it?
    Any ideas?

4. Nicolas-L-Boxit

Nicolas-L-Boxit

We've solved the problem. We were using blender to export the animations. For a reason we don't know, blender breaks the armature when it doesn't include geometry in the export, so we had to add a model to the animation.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2016
    theANMATOR2b likes this.
  5. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Glad you found a solution - Thanks for sharing for other people who may run into the same problem.

6. Spookytooth3D

Spookytooth3D

I'm having a similar issue exporting from Maya, where bone rotations work fine, but the bones I have in the face for EyeBlinking and facial expressions are seemingly ignored... I am exporting model and bones together, but the above solution doesn't solve in this case.

7. Spookytooth3D

Spookytooth3D

Solved by switching from Humanoid Animation type to Generic...