Search Unity

Totally Noob Question with Network Sample

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by nm8shun, Nov 19, 2008.

1. nm8shun

nm8shun

Sorry for this oh-so-starter question.

We'd like to set up a LAN setup to allow multiple people (in the same lab) to be able to connect to a server and run around the same space.

I've downloaded the Network Sample and am attempting to dissect it. I've output the sample project, but am unable to find ways to join the same server.

So my first question is: using the Network Sample, if I launch the App on one machine, shouldn't I be able to also join a game on another machine in the same lab? And if so, where do I see the list of servers (in this case it would be just one)?

2. ProtonOne

ProtonOne

I keep a version online for testing:
    http://www.protonfoundry.com/NetworkTest/

This one is just the basic network example, only difference is that it is pointing at the beta masterserver.

Anyway, your standalone program should look just like this.

Open that URL up on 2 browser windows on the same computer. On one window, press 'Start server'. Then on the other window press 'Refresh available servers'. You should now see 1 server listed with a 'Connect' button next to it.

So that is what it should work like, but if your LAN does not have internet access, then you will not be able to register the server with the Unity masterserver, so it will never show up in the list.

If this is the case, you do have some options though.

3. nm8shun

nm8shun

Proton, thanks much for the lead. i guess I was used to being able to set up LAN games where you didn't have to talk to the master server (or at least I didn't think you did) to see local machines hosting games.

Thanks again!

4. dhogan

dhogan

Wow, that is exactly the question I can looking to get answered this morning! Thanks a ton for having that up and sharing the link.

So, just to be clear, if I built and posted the project, I would have this same sort of setup to work with? If so, that would be great, since it's pretty much exactly what i was envisioning for a starting point.