Search Unity

1. If you have experience with import & exporting custom (.unitypackage) packages, please help complete a survey (open until May 15, 2024).
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Total Daily Play Time (and Per Active User)

Discussion in 'Unity Analytics' started by michael_voltage, Mar 11, 2015.

1. michael_voltage

michael_voltage

Wanted to confirm my expectations for this metric.

A "session" is a single duration of play, from the launch of the game till when?
    What mechanism is used internally for determining whether a session has ended?
    What if the app loses focus (on iOS for example)?

Does it sum the duration of all play sessions (in seconds) for all users per day? How is 'Per Active User' derived?
    Is there any differentiation between multiple play sessions by a single user per day or are they each considered just another session?

2. kentunity

kentunity

Unity Technologies

Hi @michael_voltage ,

A "session" is a single duration of play, from the launch of the game till when?

A session is started from the first app launch from a fresh install. A new session will be created if the user has put the app in background(force close/ reset phone/ minimize) for a continuous 30 mins or more.

What mechanism is used internally for determining whether a session has ended?
    See above answer

What if the app loses focus (on iOS for example)?
    See above answer

Is there any differentiation between multiple play sessions by a single user per day or are they each considered just another session?
    See above answer

Does it sum the duration of all play sessions (in seconds) for all users per day?
    Yes. Total Daily Play Time is the total of all play sessions for all user per day.

How is 'Per Active User' derived?
    This really means per Daily Active User (DAU). If a user has logged in today at least once, we count that user as 1 DAU.

Hope this helps

3. michael_voltage

michael_voltage

That helps immensely, Thanks! Is there a way to display total play time divided by total sessions to derive some median or average play time?

Last edited: Mar 11, 2015
  4. sschan

sschan

Hi @michael_voltage,
    Currently we are not able to display average play time as a value in the drop down but I'll add it to our request list. However you can display total play time and total sessions as metric values in Data Explorer, and then export the data to a CSV for further analysis. :)

5. michael_voltage

michael_voltage

Thanks, hopefully we can get both the median and average some day. As a developer I typically find myself more interested in how much people actually enjoy playing my game versus how much money it made (tho some could argue those two figures are one and the same ;))