Search Unity

This FPS Example Complete and no longer being updated

Discussion in 'FPS.Sample Game' started by AggressiveMastery, Aug 31, 2019.

1. AggressiveMastery

AggressiveMastery

It has been 6 months without any word from the FPS Sample team, and I have been working in the 2019 editor... waiting on support for current packages and the 2019 editor from the FPS Sample team. I know a FPS Sample works on 2019, since it was shown off in March 2019 by Unity at the Physics GDC2019 talk.

Can you please let me know if this team still exists at Unity, and if this project has actual hours associated to it each week?

I do not mind the project being/been killed (that is a lie, I am sad), but I would like to know where it stands so I can adjust accordingly. I understand nothing is owed to this community, but This Forum is supposed to be support for this project. We have received ZERO support in the last six months, no posts. Besides requests being closed, asking for updates.

@petera_unity @suneke @Mogens_H @Vestergaard @stubbesaurus

Thank you,
    Micah

Attached Files:

2. karstenv

karstenv

3. AggressiveMastery

AggressiveMastery

Hey Karstenv!

I have seen that update, and it points that an updated FPS sample should be here for us. Welcome Q4 2019 :)

The lack of any actual updates from the FPS team is what I am asking about. The team mentioned that tutorials were coming out, and the tutorials released by unity on youtube are not in the fps sample... Also they seem to point with the videos to using the asset store. Like they over-reached and have asset store people upset with the FPS Sample...

Cheers
    Micah

Last edited: Sep 1, 2019
    keeponshading likes this.
  4. keeponshading

keeponshading

Probably "Generate Lighting" crashed and finishes in cpu mode now.
    Takes little longer then.

or

the new network prediction started to generate little black holes and they must find new ways or wait to the next "event" horizon.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2019
  5. laurie71

laurie71

Most of the people tagged by the OP are still active on these forums, so if they're not responding here I'd guess they're no longer assigned to this project, making it typical Unity abandonware :-(

AggressiveMastery likes this.
  6. spilat12

spilat12

It would be great with some update on this...

7. Antypodish

Antypodish

I don't think this FPS Sample Project ever meant to be full project, or a game.
    It is more showcase of possibilities.

8. Mauri

Mauri

It is advertised as a " living project, which Unity will continue to maintain and further develop by adding more features with upcoming Unity versions in 2019 " (src), though... They're just a small team. Maybe they can't quite cope up with all the changes that the Unity Editor has gone through during the past few months?

KrackZero and hippocoder like this.
  9. chrisk

chrisk

They told us it was going to be a "Virtical Slice" utilizing full Unity Tech. It meant to be a complete game, as good as a commercial game. Slice my virtical a**! Can't trush anything anymore as they speak from their a**.

10. AggressiveMastery

AggressiveMastery

I am guessing they will release something at unity conf this week.

"Get moving: An overview of Physics in DOTS
    . We’re working on two new physics solutions for DOTS-based projects: Unity Physics and Havok Physics. This talk will give you an overview of both Unity and Havok physics systems, content authoring workflows for Data-Oriented Technology Stack (DOTS) physics, as well as the basics of the DOTS physics architecture and game code layer."

https://blogs.unity3d.com/2019/09/1...013.79206377.1569109222-1149527420.1557116229

Journeythedev likes this.
  11. Chebes

Chebes

is DOTS even finalized yet? no point trying to keep up with constant changes really. wouldn't be surprise to see an update alongside 2019.3/4.

12. AggressiveMastery

AggressiveMastery

They posted this:

Looks like the FPS Sample may have been scrapped and this new example is bumbling forward.

13. anorak3

anorak3

The FPS Sample and team is still alive :) The team is converting the sample to DOTS. You can see it on the CBH Unite keynote. They said it can be available in about a month.. T

Last edited: Sep 28, 2019
  14. Antypodish

Antypodish

This is different project all together.
    It aims to show DOTS in practical use.
    Plus new features, like real time networked update/editing.
    Which is still cool. And I think is much better, as an example sample project.

15. anorak3

anorak3

I looked at the source code for this at the FPS Sample stand at Unite and it's the FPS Sample code, without the graphics so that it is a much smaller project.

16. AggressiveMastery

AggressiveMastery

Thank you for the link @anorak3 and the comments @Antypodish .

I didn't watch the keynote, I didn't (Still don't) want to hear about or see things never being release. AKA the fps sample version from march that didnt get released.

I know that makes me an ass hat.

But soon is SOON, right.

Thank you
    Micah

17. spilat12

spilat12

Hi there, fellow devs. I talked to the team members who made both FPS Sample and the new FPS Sample (DOTS) at Unite Copenhagen 2019, I asked two questions: 1 - Is the new FPS Sample a derivative work from the old FPS Sample (is it an old FPS Sample converted to DOTS)? The answer is no, it is a new project built from scratch, the only thing taken from the old Sample is some models. 2 - Will there be any further developments with the old FPS Sample? The answer is no, most likely not.

So there's that, I don't know what to think of that since @anorak3 says they've seen the code and it's the same project.

18. anorak3

anorak3

They said they created a new project and moved code over from the FPS Sample + doing all the dots improvements/upgrades. All I can say is that the minute I browsed through the source code and folders - it looked very familiar.. (like fpssample)

They also talked about a new animation systems and that the netcode is now in a package (com.unity.netcode). And that maybe merging the two samples into a more complete game sometime in the future is an idea..

Who would write 50.000 lines of FPS code and throw it away when building a FPS the next year..

19. AggressiveMastery

AggressiveMastery

TOOLS

I mean, Tool released a new Album this year....

20. spilat12

spilat12

In my opinion, anyone who is paid for that. I was told that it was a showcase projects or something like that. I specifically asked whether they made it from scratch or converted it to DOTS (considering the talks on MonoBehaviour to DOTS conversion). And something tells me it was easier to do it from scratch. Anyways, the DOTS FPS Sample is soon to be available, then we'll see what's up that...

21. Journeythedev

Journeythedev

It makes little sense to make a showcase project with in-house devs and not showcase how your actual developers would do the same, especially if the mission as a company is to empower their third-party and indie developers in lieu of in-house productions.

fct509 and AggressiveMastery like this.
  22. Chebes

Chebes

their in-house devs are the actual developers, or what do you mean?

those showcases are also used to test all the new stuff and since DOTS is still not finalized it's also a bit marketing ("look at our new stuff coming soon!"). would be highly surprised it the don't have this or another sample ready for entities 1.0.

23. spilat12

spilat12

But they did showcase it at Unite LA in 2018, also there's a bunch of official videos on FPS Sample 2019, am I missing something?

24. AggressiveMastery

AggressiveMastery

We are all missing a lot from the FPS Sample team.

25. Armideon

Armideon

There seems to be enough material in old project to build on though. I don't really see the big issue. Its a little extra work but I thought that was the point really.

spilat12 likes this.
  26. AggressiveMastery

AggressiveMastery

I updated the title. This FPS sample is completed and no longer being updated.

A new DOTS only sample is 'being worked on' to be released at a future date.

Aquastar likes this.
  27. Aquastar

Aquastar

According to this, new DOTS stuff will come in ~3-4 weeks.

28. anorak3

anorak3

I prefer a solid project with released packages or at least well tested preview packages before many modified packages. During Unite CPH the DOTS Sample had 21 modified packages. I will gladly give them time to get that number close to zero..

29. Antypodish

Antypodish

No one forces you to use experimentals, previews, or samples. Is completely optional.

twobob likes this.
  30. laurie71

laurie71

That's an empty promise to provide an update to a codebase that's been stagnant for 3 months. *If* an update ever gets pushed, there's every chance that codebase will get abandoned in the same way as the one discussed in this thread. At this point, I don't consider Unity a viable platform for multiplayer game development, and won't until there is an officially released, officially supported, battle tested multiplayer solution that has been production deployed in shipping, successful games.

31. Antypodish

Antypodish

There are few multiplier solutions on asset store, worth considering look at.

32. AggressiveMastery

AggressiveMastery

Arnt most of the Asset Store multiplayer assets based on code that unity is going to retire? Photon?

So any investment in an asset store addon for network at this point, is extremely limited in supportable, also to then say that to future proof with unity network wise, cannot be done right now?

I agree with needing to lock-in a project, and such. But right now, seems anything network based is a bad place to play with unity. Unless you are a cowboy ;)

33. laurie71

laurie71

I don't think that's accurate; Mirror is basically Unity's multiplayer netcode either re-written to the same API or lifted whole and fixed to address many of the problems Unity's version has. It's a more polished version of something Unity has decided wasn't a good enough design or implementation to continue supporting.

Photon is, as far as I know, a completely independent third party product that has no relationship or dependency on Unity's netcode. Other asset store solutions I'm not familiar with and can't comment on.

I should have said that I don't consider Unity's built-in multiplayer support (old, broken, deprecated) a viable solution to build upon, and won't consider the new multiplayer support (not yet available or complete) until it is proven. I would use the Unity engine for a multiplayer game if I was willing to write the complete multiplayer networking stack from scratch, or if I could find a third party solution that matched my needs for the project -- and for the right project Photon may very well be a viable fit.

Unity, the product -- Unity the company -- does not have a multiplayer story as of now. Bespoke code, third party solutions from the Asset Store or elsewhere, or other game engines entirely are what I'd look at for multiplayer game projects. I already know of two projects Unity have published on GitHub that are supposed to show us the way forward for multiplayer game development today; this one that has been completely abandoned, and the DOTS centric netcode project mentioned above that hasn't been updated in months.

34. AggressiveMastery

AggressiveMastery

Great summary and reply(your whole post) @laurie71 :)

35. Jimmy_Lin

Jimmy_Lin

Is there any other NetCode Sample?unity or not..
    I want to learn about snapshot,interpolation,delay compensation...
    only find the c++ solution.like doom..

36. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Hi,

A lot of people in this thread are having a moan and that's fair. I dropped by to see if any action was going on with the new netcode sample/dots stuff but not yet it seems.

I know some people are finding it frustrating though. I'm waiting too. I do know it's coming so we just need to be patient.

37. Birgere

Birgere

Does anyone have a clue as to when the preview package and sample project drops?

38. AggressiveMastery

AggressiveMastery

According to this, new DOTS stuff is due any day now...

DaftPuzzler likes this.
  39. pocketpair

pocketpair

40. AggressiveMastery

AggressiveMastery

41. Birgere

Birgere

Was it not a TPS shooter?

42. AggressiveMastery

AggressiveMastery

Its still not out, but it did show third person. The current one was first person, but you could change to a third person perspective. They use the same models so I assume its both third and first. But, its not out yet.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
  43. pocketpair

pocketpair

44. AggressiveMastery

AggressiveMastery

Great Catch @pocketpair

This is the new example.

Its a LOT more basic than the last sample, and the download is MUCH smaller (45MB.)

In fact, CONGRATS @pocketpair!!!! You did a GREAT JOB with this new DOTS Sample!

Since no one from Unity wanted to stop in an tell us anything, I figure you deserve the credit.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 18, 2019
  45. AggressiveMastery

AggressiveMastery

Howdy Guys and Gals,

I am starting a devlog into building a game, and using the new TFS/ DOTS sample. Seems like a good idea, right? ahHAHAHAHAHHA

Well, check it out:

This DOTS TFS Sample is the current and future version of Unity's Multiplayer ... and takes from the FPS sample heavily, so you may be interested in exploring it as well.

Cheers,
    Micah

Mazak, Burlyduck, anorak3 and 2 others like this.