Search Unity

1. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity is excited to announce that we will be collaborating with TheXPlace for a summer game jam from June 13 - June 19. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Question "Thing" not set to a an instance of an object

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by kenethbuenhumor, May 26, 2024.

1. kenethbuenhumor

kenethbuenhumor

i was working on this tutorial doing the camera ledge detection and I already checked for misspelling or misplacement but I found none. I am getting this error which no matter what I do I cannot fix. The error is below and the code is below it. Pleasee help.

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    CameraControlTrigger.OnTriggerEnter2D (UnityEngine.Collider2D collision) (at Assets/Scripts/Game/Cameras/CameraControlTrigger.cs:25)

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    CameraControlTrigger.OnTriggerExit2D (UnityEngine.Collider2D collision) (at Assets/Scripts/Game/Cameras/CameraControlTrigger.cs:37)

private void OnTriggerEnter2D(Collider2D collision)
    {
    if (collision.CompareTag("Player"))
    {
    if (customInspectorObjects.panCameraOnContact)
    {
    //pan the camera
    CameraManager.instance.PanCameraOnContact(customInspectorObjects.panDistance, customInspectorObjects.panTime, customInspectorObjects.panDirection, false); //this is line 25
    }
    }
    }
    private void OnTriggerExit2D(Collider2D collision)
    {
    if (collision.CompareTag("Player"))
    {
    if (customInspectorObjects.panCameraOnContact)
    {
    //pan the camera
    CameraManager.instance.PanCameraOnContact(customInspectorObjects.panDistance, customInspectorObjects.panTime, customInspectorObjects.panDirection, true); //this is line 37
    }
    }
    }
    }

This is the PanCamercaOnContact from the Camera Manager script

public void PanCameraOnContact(float panDistance, float panTime, PanDirection panDirection, bool panToStartingPos)
    {
    _panCameraCoroutine = StartCoroutine(PanCamera(panDistance, panTime, panDirection, panToStartingPos));
    }

This is what happens in-game

2. Kurt-Dekker

Kurt-Dekker

bugfinders likes this.
  3. kenethbuenhumor

kenethbuenhumor

I just created my account today I do not know any of the rules, apologies. Idon't understand something tho. I already showed in this thread what is null, did I do it wrong or are you just sending me a copy paste of a message?

4. altepTest

altepTest

click on the blue links at bottom of console, see if you have any error in the code

5. bugfinders

bugfinders

No but the error also will tell you exactly which line the error occurs in, and from there you can work out what is null

6. kenethbuenhumor

kenethbuenhumor

Thank you, I managed to fix it. I simply said if null then this equals this