Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. If you have experience with import & exporting custom (.unitypackage) packages, please help complete a survey (open until May 15, 2024).
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

The reality of the SRP pipline

Discussion in '2018.1 Beta' started by AlteredPlanets, Feb 16, 2018.

1. AlteredPlanets

AlteredPlanets

So unity is releasing the scriptable render pipline, right off the bat , the fact that thier making it scriptable is
    going to make it harder for exsisting projects to work seeing that shaders/assets are going to have to acess the system on a lower level to get it to work. If they just release it with the RenderPipline presets and make it scriptable later, not only is the dev teams workload reduced, but project conversion will be easier because of the new piplines being predictable and less complex , because of no custom scriptablity which just makes the idea as whole more complex to design . Also most people will just use the presets anyway.

That way it doesn't release in a unfinished state , or just simply take too much time for exsisting projects to work .
    I know they want to make more games look better in unity but this wont help if they release it in a state where it require too much manual conversion , Botttom line is that automatic conversion and optimized render pipline presets is more important than , scriptable render piplines

Remember that DX12 doesnt work, Vulkan crashes and is still exprimental, Instancing work in like only 10% case uses , multithreading cant acess the unity engine classes

will SRPs go down the same path?

2. PhilSA

PhilSA

I disagree
    Lack of control for rendering has been plaguing Unity for way too long, and now they are finally fixing it. There will never be an "good" time to do this, so might as well be right now. I think people just gotta accept this as a breaking change and accept that they gotta stick to the legacy render for existing projects.

Automatic conversion for this sort of thing just seems too unrealistic to me

If they try to make SRPs all automatically-converted and backwards-compatible, then I'm pretty sure problems like these would arise. Making them completely independant is a good way to avoid these problems

theANMATOR2b, one_one and supron like this.
  3. AlteredPlanets

AlteredPlanets

how easy would be to convert shadrs, and what kinda things will break?

4. PhilSA

PhilSA

It's an entirely different renderer, basically everything has changed

5. superpig

superpig

Drink more water! Unity Technologies

Unless they are willing to invest the time/effort/money in reworking their content for the new render pipelines, yep, that is exactly what they should do.

theANMATOR2b and hippocoder like this.
  6. AlteredPlanets

AlteredPlanets

what kinda reworking in needed?

7. Prodigga

Prodigga

Not to sound blunt, but the kinds of questions you are asking suggests you aren't exactly sure how the new SRP works, so you aren't really in a good place to begin a thread like this. You should do some more research before flaming the Unity Dev team for their choice.

8. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

(I said something similar to this, but I think it's worth repeating)

I hope you guys understand the need for great documentation for SRP, so that those that are willing to invest the time and effort to create their own SRPs can do so. I played with 2018 a bit and fumbled into making a very simple SRP that had most of the features I was using, but it wasn't performing very well. Not sure why (I mean it could even be something unrelated to SRP), but without docs I can't even make educated guesses.

I guess my fear is that we'll have "custom shaders" situation, where years ago (the docs have improved since then), there were a ton of things that had to be a certain way because Unity expected them to be a certain way, only that information wasn't really available.

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  9. AlteredPlanets

AlteredPlanets

Yea at least add all lot of documentation to support it all , I was wrong in initial post