Search Unity

1. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity is excited to announce that we will be collaborating with TheXPlace for a summer game jam from June 13 - June 19. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

The Pacific War : 1942

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by JamesArndt, Dec 1, 2016.

1. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

Hello everyone. I'm introducing my prototype "shoot em up" build for feedback from the community. I've put together a work-in-progress web site to upload builds, do development blog posts / tips, share imagery and videos from the prototype and to get feedback directly from the community. Platform will be Steam for PC and Mac, with a secondary focus on a mobile version.

http://thepacificwar1942.us/

I've also set up a Google form so that anyone who plays the prototype can give their initial thoughts, suggest any features or mechanics, or let me know if they feel something is missing or just plain doesn't feel right.

https://goo.gl/forms/8MVEGGbW1llt9Ob62

These are a few images of a F4U Corsair I had created early on for the demo. Take into account this is a distant camera shoot em up, so the models are optimized to low polygon counts. This is also to aid development later on when there will be many moving 3D models on screen at any given time.

Youtube Playlist of Development Diaries
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLssEzxXKmS8FLCfiUDb7om2BsO1TX8Q9R

Last edited: Dec 1, 2016
    Samuel411 likes this.
  2. Samuel411

Samuel411

The plane looks really cool. I left you some feedback on the google forms on your website. I really enjoyed it, felt really good to just move around and the explosion effects look neat.

JamesArndt likes this.
  3. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

Thank you! I'm using Trello for task tracking and am going to add a column on it for the prototype feedback so I can see common threads that players are hitting on. I really appreciate your feedback and already have some of those fixes and additions in mind ;)

https://trello.com/b/7VfIrCR5/the-pacific-war-1942

Last edited: Dec 1, 2016
  4. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

I've started on a main menu and haven't put too much work into it yet. I'm hoping for any insights into making it visually more interesting, more fluid or animated. Basically you've got this first scene to make an impression on the player. I've had suggestions on Reddit to add some minimal fire and smoke at the bottom edge of the screen.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2016
    Gametyme likes this.
  5. Samuel411

Samuel411

Doesn't look bad. The black gui background in the options is a little awful probably placeholder still I assume?

Maybe incorporate a little more airplane stuff since its based on planes.

For the animations add little effects when changing, like when its done rotating have it jump a little forward then back. Kind of like this but for UI lol,

JamesArndt likes this.
  6. FreeFly90

FreeFly90

I tried the demo and looked very smooth and fun. Looking forward to see future developments :)

JamesArndt likes this.
  7. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

It sure is. It's actually a default sample from the NGUI samples folder. I haven't had a chance to swap that out for something nice yet. I'm thinking of either a steel plate background or maybe even military paperwork or something to that effect.

Samuel411 likes this.
  8. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

Thanks, I should have an updated build with new functionality this weekend. I need to wrap up the weapon manager. Player will be able to cycle weapons once that's implemented fully.

Samuel411 likes this.
  9. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

Starting working with Substance Painter for the first time in actual production. I have to say I really love it for the PBR workflow. I started working on implementing a Marine Corps emblem for the main menu background. I am still seriously lacking in the composition of the main menu so I am open to any and all feedback or opinions on that.

Samuel411 likes this.
  10. Samuel411

Samuel411

Dang really digging the mapping you got on the emblem. I don't actually know what you could do to fit both your logo and the emblem and the flag. The logo might look nice on top of the main menu text, on top of Play. But it'll be a little smaller and I kind of prefer it on the left side. Maybe the emblem a little smaller and on the ground on a plane (flat surface lol)? Or... you could put the logo on the emblem itself or put the two together somehow. Not too sure how to go about this... Looks good though.

JamesArndt likes this.