Search Unity

1. If you have experience with import & exporting custom (.unitypackage) packages, please help complete a survey (open until May 15, 2024).
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

The Next Leap: How A.I. will change the 3D industry

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Arowx, Nov 11, 2018.

1. Arowx

Arowx

An interesting look into how AI is changing the 3D industry.

2. Tzan

Tzan

I watched 6 minutes and the only thing I learned is that Arowx real life name is Andrew Price.
    Button your shirt.

BrandyStarbrite likes this.
  3. Shizola

Shizola

Good video. I'd seen most of the examples before but it's a good summary of where things are at.

Mr-Mechanical likes this.
  4. zenGarden

zenGarden

Substance Designer is not AI, you use nodes, the better textures are very complex spagheti nodes.
    It will be AI when you'll drop some photos and Substance will create the materials and make the graph nodes itself alone with one button to press "Make my textures" LOL

5. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

"is AI" is a moving target. Every time some new tool or techniques is automated, the bar for "is AI" moves a little bit further.

6. zenGarden

zenGarden

Why not.
    But ai can't do automatic substance designer graph creation from photos , like geussing the shapes, the details and make all the spaghetti code lol
    This is something not available, or ai able to create best toplogy quads low poly models from one or two photos without needing photogrammetry, another one is ai create animation in some rig using a simple movie.
    This is where ai would be the most helpful about content creation.

7. Arowx

Arowx

Actually the fascinating bit is where AI enhanced denoising can upscale lower resolution images, could this boost a games higher resolution performance?

And would you need a GPU with built in denoising hardware like RTX 2080 or could older GPUs denious and scale fast enough for a game?

8. Murgilod

Murgilod

No.

9. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

Also... why?

Just use larger textures. If you are upscaling, the memory footprint is the same, but now you are adding preprocessing to the image data and non trivial operations at that. You are trading a tiny amount of cheap memory for expensive gpu/cpu time. Though kinds of things are for pipeline not runtime.

10. Antypodish

Antypodish

I will be interested to see, when we can run 30-60 or maybe even 100fps scaling in real time, on potatoes.

11. Arowx

Arowx

12. Murgilod

Murgilod

You do realise that's all the GPU is doing, right? That it's dedicating all its processing power to denoising the images, right? And that they're using multiple sets of low resolution images, right? And that it needed to be trained on loads of images from the start, right? They also don't even seem to mention what GPU they're using. Please read these things past the title and abstract.

Ryiah, zombiegorilla and zenGarden like this.
  13. Arowx

Arowx

Apologies did a quick google search, here is Nvidia's game scene specific Ray tracing and denoising system.

I think they talked about it more in the RTX presentation.

Imagine the performance benefits if RTX or other GPUs can upscale and denoise from 1k to 2k to 4k with faster rendering/upscaling/denoising than a higher resolution render?

Last edited: Nov 14, 2018
  14. Murgilod

Murgilod

You brought up older GPUs. The RTX series is not an older GPU. It is literally the opposite of an older GPU.

15. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Medical imagery makes sense because medical imaging equipment is relatively poor. Its a super useful technique when you need to get a better quality image.

But it seems pretty useless for games when you can already start with a high quality image.

16. Arowx

Arowx

17. Murgilod

Murgilod

Wouldn't be an Arowx thread without an Ashes of the Singularity benchmark post that has nothing to do with anything.

Deleted User and Kiwasi like this.