Search Unity

1. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity is excited to announce that we will be collaborating with TheXPlace for a summer game jam from June 13 - June 19. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

The Game Artist - Essentials

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Thomas-Pasieka, Feb 27, 2009.

1. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

3D Attack/The Unity Artist is pleased to announce the first in a new series of training videos we will be offering.

The Game Artist - Essentials
    Recorded and Produced By Thomas Pasieka

• Over 2 hours of Video Material
    • 45 Minute Full Workflow Video included
    • Scene and texture files
    • Unity Project File
    • Easy to follow instructions

Cinema 4D and Unity are utilized in these videos. However, you should be able to follow most steps/instructions with the software of your choice as well.

For more information and to order your copy please visit our shop at: http://3dattack.us/3DAttack/Game_Development.html

The Game Artist - Essentials is a digital download.

Attached Files:

2. Martin-Schultz

Martin-Schultz

I bought them yesterday and the tutorials are really excellent. Well produced, high quality (you can watch them on a HD TV!), included Unity projects, well explained (even for a programmer like me!) and all that for less than 25 US$ - a steal!

3. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

Glad to hear that Martin! Hope you learn a thing or two and put it to use with your next game :)

Thomas P.

4. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

Thought I'd bump this thread again since we have a storm of new Unity users :)

Thomas

5. AruZul

AruZul

Bought it, sounded like a good thing, though we use Maya and not C4D even learning 1 new thing, doesnt matter what, is ALWAYS helpful, and 25$ is nothing now a days hehe :)

Though, not being able to use download accelerator to download the tutorial is kind of annoying, as i can download right now with 500 kb/s out of 2200 kb/s.

6. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

Thanks AruZul. It doesn't really matter what you use and I make that pretty clear in my videos. What I do in C4D can be done in Maya, Max, Lightwave, 3DSMax, Modo and whatnot. I am talking mainly about the fundamentals and workflow between your app of choice and Unity. Most people really liked the videos so far so I am pretty happy with that. Thanks for your support and sorry for the "slower" download speed.

Thomas

7. Hans

Hans

nice work Thomas Pasieka, i will look at the videos when i get home from work tonight, and hopeful i will get an email from unity about not validating my key for unity windows 2.5 version.

thks

Hans

8. ej2009

ej2009

Purchased! :)

Thomas, your surname sounds Lithuanian, are you? :D

9. TwiiK

TwiiK

Could someone post some more information about this? :) I've just started learning Unity and I've been using 3ds max for about 3 years. $25 is not much by any means, but I'm just curious whether I would learn something from this or not.

"Creating an environment that you can walk around in" sounds a bit basic and I would think people, including myself of course, would like to know some more about the product before we purchase it. :)

Some questions to show you what kind of information I'm after:

- Do you show how to bake lightmaps, shadows and light, global illumination etc. into textures or similar? (I'm really interested in this one. :p)

- Are the screenshots from Cinema or Unity?

- Do you show how to create a simple rig for the humanoid model visible in some of the screenshots to make him walk or be used as a ragdoll?

- What exactly is the end result of the tutorial(s)? A simple environment with simple textures which you can walk around in using the FPS controller?

Thanks.

10. Wadoman

Wadoman

I second Twiik's comment.

Im interested as well, but I already know how to build a room and make the player/camera move through it. So what makes this different from what I can find in Unity Docs and free videos already available?

Maybe a video sample would help as well. $25 isnt much at all, but these days I question all my purchases.

Thank you

11. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

@Twik and Wadoman

My videos show how you go about a modular approach for level creation (for FPS games for instance). You will learn how to go about scale, pivoting, modeling and so forth. I also show how to set up your project in Unity (pipeline workflow) and many other things. Baking is covered as well (with the use of C4D's baker). I'm pretty sure there is something in there for you guys. Perhaps somebody else can chime in and let them know as what to expect as I don't want to sound like I am trying to sell them my videos :)

Thomas

12. Wadoman

Wadoman

Thank you for the reply Thomas and yes I would like to hear from those that have purchased it if they have the time.

13. TwiiK

TwiiK

Wadoman, I bought it and will write some about it when it's downloaded. :)

Bought it because it is about the only commercial training material available to Unity that I've seen and the screenshots looked profesional.

Thomas Pasieka, I think that if you've made a good product you're allowed to do almost anything to sell it. :)

Some extra information, a small video teaser etc. can only help sales.

14. ej2009

ej2009

I purchased it and watched it all in one go. Definitely worth if you are total newbie like me, but if you did 3D modelling before than skip it.

I really wanted some topics on UV mapping, but from what I understand it will be in the next videos?

Also a little hint - is it possible in next videos to make mouse cursor to stand out more? Like a red circle in other videos I've seen? Because I found it quite hard to follow where the heck mouse is on the screen :)

Other than that scaling, snap to grid, pivot etc. was really helpful to me.

Btw, I have Cheetah 3d trial and couldn't find any snap to grid properties? I'm sure it should be possible anyhow.

15. TwiiK

TwiiK

The quality of the video and the content is high, but sadly it's a too bit basic for me. There is some nice information though and the lightmap part is nice.

The tutorial is split into 4 parts:

- The first part is about setting up scale, grid settings, unit size and pivots in C4D and modeling for games in general
    - The second part show you how to model a really simple room in C4D using what you just learned
    - The third part show how to bake a lightmap in C4D and take it into Unity
    - The fourth part shows the entire process from an empty scene in C4D to a basic level in Unity utilizing everything you've learned in the first 3 parts. This part is without audio.

It's without a doubt a great introduction for beginners, but may be a bit basic for someone with more experience.

You wrote it was the first in a new series and I'm looking forward to the next one. :)

I've just skimmed through the tutorial and I'm convinced you can easily follow it with another modelling application, but if you decide to go with something else than C4D you should be familar with your application because you need to know where basic things are.

I will see if I can bake a lightmap in 3ds max a little later. :)

Also, if you were wondering, like I was, the 4 screenshots showing the orange and grey room is from the finished level in unity. That is basically the tutorial result.

16. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

Thanks for your little "Review" Twiik! Glad to hear that you liked it (and others as well). This is the first set in a series. I have plans to do another set which deals with things such as Normal Maps, UV mapping, textures, etc...

As you already said, anybody with basic knowledge in his prefered 3D software is able to follow my instructions/steps. The baking process is different in every app but I am sure it shouldn't be too hard to reproduce that step in 3DS, Maya and whatnot.

These videos are more or less the foundation for a better understanding of the whole "How to create game assets" process.

@ej2009 - No I am not Lithuanian ... I am German ;) Thanks for buying as well! I will cover the basics of UV in the next set.

Thanks everybody for their critique and comments. Always good to get feedback!

Thomas

17. ej2009

ej2009

Any idea when the next set of videos will be available? Would really love some tutorials on UV mapping and texturing...

18. Wadoman

Wadoman

Yes Thanks Twiik. I thought it was a little basic for me, but I look forward to see what Thomas comes out with next.

19. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

I am not quite sure yet as I am currently involved in two projects. My best bet would be sometime this summer (or if things clear up, sooner of course).

Thomas

20. spiralgear

spiralgear

How in depth is the light map baking section? The maps in your screenshots look excellent.

21. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

Well I am taking the viewer through all the steps necessary to create a lightmap in Cinema 4D. However, users of other software applications might have to refer to their manuals.

Thomas

22. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

Shameless "Bump" of this thread ;) Thanks for looking!

Thomas

23. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

Question to those interested:

What would you like to see covered in the next set of videos?

Please leave a comment/reply :)

Thomas

24. Raptor5399

Raptor5399

Nice way to preview the skyboxes :p

25. boomaster_legacy

boomaster_legacy

I'd love to see something on characters. Also, outdoor scenes would be great, but very difficult. You can do most of an outdoor scene in Unity.

26. pseudonym

pseudonym

I'd love to see a tutorial showing how to use image effects and cool camera effects as seen in the games by Flashbang/Blurst.

I'm working on a game that could benefit from glow and electricity effects - either in a modelling program, or in Unity.

I'm still looking to make this game in 3D: http://www.futurlab.co.uk/games/prism/ - and slowly building the right team to do so :)

27. yangmeng

yangmeng

I agree that image effects would be good. I just got C4D and was surprised to find that POV was not offered in the render settings though it was in past versions (as I found following some tuts from a couple of years ago). To get POV you need to shell some serious cash. I think if there are workarounds to get some module quality stuff working in C4D without modules those would be really worth knowing.

28. Ennio

Ennio

Hey i have problems to make adversarys. Does I learn to make them in the Video Lesson? Sry for my bad English I'm from swizzerland :D

29. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

30. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

31. NoMaD

NoMaD

Hi Thomas.
    Thank you for these videos, it helped a lot :) . Are you gonna be making a second part? That would be great if you covered the UV stuff in cinema 4D. And show how to make those grid "developer" textures line up nicely :D .
    Also it says that it's on sale. The link is broken. I bought it for $ 19.95 on 3dattack dot us - That's the current price, right? :eek:

32. NoMaD

NoMaD

Hi Thomas.
    Thank you for these videos, it helped a lot :) . Are you gonna be making a second part? That would be great if you covered the UV stuff in cinema 4D. And show how to make those grid "developer" textures line up nicely :D .
    Also it says that it's on sale. The link is broken. I bought it for $ 19.95 on 3dattack dot us - That's the current price, right? :eek:

Edit: Sorry for the double post - it said "Invalid session, please resubmit the form." I resubmitted it. :?