Search Unity

Texture alignment bug

Discussion in 'World Building' started by EngineArtist, Jul 20, 2019.

1. EngineArtist

EngineArtist

Hi,

The version of PB I'm using, 4.0.5, has a glitch in the texture alignment workflow. If I have a cube entity, which I've set on auto UV, and I shape it by dragging the sides, everything works fine. The textures extend without stretching, and the pivot point stays in place. Now if I set the UV scale to 2, so that the texture appears twice the size in the game world, the auto UV starts acting weird. If I shape the cube, the texture pivot point starts moving instead of staying in place. This causes the texture to slide out of place, whereas the texture should remain still and only get extended. The only scale that seems to work properly is 1.

pb_alignment_bug.gif

Anyways, I'd like to give a huge thanks to the ProBuilder dev or devs! This tool is rad and makes Unity so much better!

Cheers,
    Miika Vihersaari

Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
  2. gabrielw_unity

gabrielw_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi! Looks like a bug we missed, though I've seen something similar - thought it was caught/fixed. Will double check, thanks!

As a work-around, you can always set an "Anchor" for the UVs, that will maintain a nice and predictable result :)

3. EngineArtist

EngineArtist

Hi,

This bug still persists in version 4.1.2.

As a sidenote, concerning selecting and moving faces, verts and edges: Would it be too much work to add "handles"? So for instance, when you're in face-mode, every face of the selected object would show a small handle (like a small box) that could be dragged for quicker manipulation of the face. If the handle was clicked, then the face would be selected and you'd get the usual XYZ-gizmo. The handles would render through geometry, so you'd see the handles of even those faces that aren't facing the camera.

Something like in QuArK:

4. EngineArtist

EngineArtist

The bug still persists in version 4.2.3. I'm going to try to fix it. If I do manage that, is there a way I can contribute the patch? Pull request? In that case I think I'd need to clone the actual ProBuilder repository, for which I'd need the URL.

Anyways, Gabriel, what do you think of the handles-idea I mentioned before? And in general adding convenient features from editors, such as QuArK and Valve Hammer? Actually, in case you're interested, I've released three handy tools that closely resemble what Hammer does:
    - https://github.com/EngineArtist/GameObjectAttributes.git
    - https://github.com/EngineArtist/GameObjectInputOutput.git
    - https://github.com/EngineArtist/GameObjectPicker.git

They work directly in Unity's Package Manager. Just add the URLs.

Kind regards,
    Miika Vihersaari

Last edited: Feb 27, 2020
  5. hotdog3454421127

hotdog3454421127

This bug still persists as of today. Is there a chance it could be fixed by the next patch? Thank you in advance.

6. hotdog3454421127

hotdog3454421127

Sorry, I forgot to tag you to alert you of this thread.
    @gabrielw_unity
    and @kaarrrllll too in case
    This bug has been existing for almost a year

7. kaarrrllll

kaarrrllll

Unity Technologies