Search Unity

1. Get all the Unite Berlin 2018 news on the blog.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity 2018.2 has arrived! Read about it here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Improve your Unity skills with a certified instructor in a private, interactive classroom. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. ARCore is out of developer preview! Read about it here.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Magic Leap’s Lumin SDK Technical Preview for Unity lets you get started creating content for Magic Leap One™. Find more information on our blog!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Want to see the most recent patch releases? Take a peek at the patch release page.
    Dismiss Notice

Text game telnet client with graphics in Unity?

Discussion in 'Connected Games' started by worthamesquire_unity, Jan 12, 2018.

1. worthamesquire_unity

worthamesquire_unity

Hi guys, I made a Python MUD (multi-user dungeon, or text game) using a project called Evennia some time ago.

In thinking about ways to take my text game design to the next level, I don't want to learn a more difficult form of multiplayer game server coding and database management just yet, but making my own text/chat client that can incorporate graphics while displaying information coming via telnet from the MUD game server would be a big improvement.

I have found some threads on this already but most of them are years old so I'm hoping it can't hurt to ask again. Thank you!

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
  2. Jesper-Nielsen

Jesper-Nielsen

You can send length and message type prefixed byte arrays. Then a text can just be one message type, while a command to show an image can be another etc.

worthamesquire_unity likes this.