Search Unity

Terrain Non Existent in Creator Kit Beginner Code Asset Game - Unity v. 2020.2

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Inventory_Status, Feb 25, 2021.

1. Inventory_Status

Inventory_Status

Hi,

I'm having issues with the way the Creator Kit: Beginner Code Asset Game is loading in my Unity 2020.2 version. In particular, I'm having issues with how the terrain/environment of the game is loading. When the Creator Kit: Beginner Code package completes its import in Unity Version 2020.2, the level appears to be floating above the terrain, as can be seen in this screenshot:

When I was watching the video tutorials for this Kit, the Unity editors shown in the tutorial videos did not have their games look like this at all. So why did the Creator Kit: Beginner Code level/scene load like this?

I have already tried the test run of the game and the game itself is running properly. It is just the land/terrain of the game's environment is non existent, almost as if the game characters and levels are sitting on an invisible land.

I have already also asked this question in the Unity tips thread as well in case this question gets buried.

The Unity version in the screenshot above is 2020.2.1f1.

2. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Can you find the terrain object(s) in the scene? I haven't looked at this tutorial before, but I don't see anything that says it is supposed to be the terrain in the image. Maybe it is under LevelDesign in the hierarchy?

Specifically, I'm wondering if it is incorrectly positioned, has its renderer turned off, has a problem with its textures, etc. Also, it is possible the terrain is on a specific layer which is not enabled on the camera.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2021
  3. Inventory_Status

Inventory_Status

Hi @Joe-Censored ! Yes it is supposed to be in the LevelDesign in the Hierarchy. Here are the current settings of the terrain:

upload_2021-2-26_10-16-17.png

upload_2021-2-26_10-16-29.png

Can you help me out further here?

4. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

I haven't used terrains much after they were redesigned in 2018.3. But some quick googling says this might be a terrain shader issue.
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/project-convert-from-built-in-to-urp-terrain-disappears.754895/

A shader is something referenced by an assigned material, and basically tells the GPU how to render the material. Under Basic Terrain in your first image, there is a line called Material. You could try changing that material temporarily to something else to see if the terrain suddenly appears. Maybe try "Default-Terrain-Standard" as shown on the manual page for that setting.

https://docs.unity3d.com/2020.2/Documentation/Manual/terrain-OtherSettings.html

If that works, then there's probably a problem with that material or its shader (though a broken material usually shows up as solid pink I believe). I don't really have any experience with URP shaders and haven't experienced this, so I'll probably be no more help :p (I'm assuming you're using URP render pipeline from the Rendering Layer Mask option in your second image, but I could be incorrect)

edit: Side note, I'm not a huge fan of these prebuilt projects used as tutorials Unity has been releasing. They seem to result in a lot of threads about problems popping up in them, and since they are pretty new, none of the people who have been using Unity for a few years have even tried any of them, so it is hard to get help on the forums. If you're getting stuck, it might be better to learn the old fashion way, with the manual, experimentation, and maybe some 3rd party tutorials which start you from an empty project. YMMV good luck

Last edited: Feb 26, 2021
  5. Inventory_Status

Inventory_Status

Hi @Joe-Censored ,

So I have tried Default-Terrain-Standard but it is just showing as a pink colored material. When I tried making it the terrain's material, nothing shows up either.

Attached Files:

6. Valjuin

Valjuin

Inventory_Status likes this.
  7. Inventory_Status

Inventory_Status

Valjuin and Joe-Censored like this.