Search Unity

1. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity is excited to announce that we will be collaborating with TheXPlace for a summer game jam from June 13 - June 19. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Terrain Challenge for Indie Devs

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by FuzzyQuills, Nov 12, 2013.

1. Baldinoboy

Baldinoboy

Hey FuzzyQuills. Is there a way to have transparency for the water without refraction? I know there is a scale for transparency but it does not do anything. Thanks

2. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

@Baldinoboy: oh yes, i forgot to remove that. I am happy to add transparency in, if it weren't for the weird result i got when i did so, and obviously, this would work very well for mobile if i added this in.

EDIT: I found something that might help, so I will see what i can do. BTW, about the wave map: I got some pretty sick waves using Aubergines LibNoise port, so if anyone wants me to show a screenshot, simply ask.

@legacy-games: definitely wouldn't mind seeing your demo! Where's the link to your website?

Last edited: Mar 9, 2014
  3. Baldinoboy

Baldinoboy

What kind of problems are you having with the transparency?

Show us some screenshots of the waves:D.

4. Baldinoboy

Baldinoboy

FuzzyQuills when you get a chance I want to see some screenshots of the new water.

5. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

@baldinoboy: bloody hell, a double post?! I didn't see those before! anyway, I found something that addresses the transparency issue, and the fixes, so that's sorted. as for waves... they don't quite look like waves yet! And at the moment, i am examining the relief shader and considering using this!

EDIT: I tried the relief shader, and it's a unity 3.x version that doesn't work right...

Last edited: Mar 12, 2014
  6. Baldinoboy

Baldinoboy

Ha. Sorry for the double post. Thanks for fixing the transparency. So the relief shader works in 4.x?

7. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

Ok, this is as close to CryEngine Waves as i can get. this doesn't use relief mapping though: i figured out the art of the Parallax offset!

Here is a screenshot, seen from a peak in my terrain demo. had to put it in a google drive link because the upload tool on these forums isn't working again:
    LINK

Now that i come to think of it, the upload tool only works at my school and not at home! what am i doing wrong? I have ADSL2+ at home and goodness knows at school.

EDIT: Just saw your post. and no, the shader still doesn't have transparency! could the Culling be the problem? And the relief shader is SUPER JAGGED!

8. Baldinoboy

Baldinoboy

Are you using a height or normal map for the waves height?

9. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

@Baldinoboy: the waves are done using a normal map, but you can use a height-map for it too, as a parallax offset uses grayscale values for the distortion. the waves look better with a normal map though! and the wave map I used came directly from an image of water caustics!

10. Baldinoboy

Baldinoboy

Do you have separate inputs for the normal and the height? So we could have sharp normal mapping and a blured height map for smooth waves height.

BTW the newest Indie Effects is great. The starbloom is great to have. The Bloom Box Blur shader with the C# Bloom looks incredible and the performance is great. Going to upload some screenshots soon. Performance is so good I might be able to make a webplayer. Thanks

11. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

@baldinoboy: Yes. there is one input for a normal map and one for a heightmap, which can take normal maps too, judging on how the normals are calculated. and yes, your suggestion is possible, but might take a bit of tweaking to get it up and running...

And I didn't think my bloom shader was THAT GOOD! believe it or not, i am still tweaking that so it looks right. but fair enough! hit me with what you got!

Cheers

12. Baldinoboy

Baldinoboy

@FuzzyQuils: Cool. That will work great. Sorry for my forgetfulness but what suggestion were you mentioning? I have made so many:D.

I have combined the bloom boxblur and the debth of field and it looks really good. Still making models for the scene. Will take screenshots eventually.

13. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

The one where you said you could use a heightmap and a normal map together! anyway, good luck with your scene! I didn't think those two effects could stack, but there is always a first time... :p

14. Baldinoboy

Baldinoboy

I have Indie Effects>Depth>Depth of Field>Bloom. Works beautifully. The only thing I cannot enable with all this going on is water refraction. Just too much on my PC. The scene still looks good without the water refracting.

15. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

@Baldinoboy: yea, does it on mine too. I did however give this a shot on a machine at my TAFE college, which as a Nvidia Quattro in it, and the scene ran SMOOTH. So those with Nvidia cards will be able to run all my packages at full speed!

BTW, you finished with your scene yet?

Last edited: Mar 17, 2014
  16. Baldinoboy

Baldinoboy

I am not going to be completely done for a while but I will take some screenshots today. Should be uploaded tonight.

17. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

COOL! And i guess everyone needs time to do things...

Here is what i am working on:
    $Epic Planet Screenie.png

This is implemented with Atmospheric scattering. I forgot what the link was though, so i will get back to you!

18. Baldinoboy

Baldinoboy

That looks great. Is this your game?

19. Baldinoboy

Baldinoboy

Here are a few screenshots of my small island. I am using Indie Effects Bloom Boxblur and Depth of Field. Also using FuzzyQuills water shader for the ocean(refraction not being used in this scene). Still working on the models but here you go.

$Small_Island_Indie_Effects_screenshot1.jpg

$Small_Island_Indie_Effects_screenshot2.jpg

$Small_Island_Indie_Effects_screenshot3.jpg

20. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

NICE! And yes, that is my game. It doesn't use post pro though as a space game seriously doesn't need it. my other project, my brawler game uses these though. If you would like a demo, give me a PM, and i will give you a copy of my test engine.

21. Eric2241

Eric2241

22. Eric2241

Eric2241

By the way this is the indie effects package.

23. Baldinoboy

Baldinoboy

Took a look at your page. Very nice looking. What are you using for the water?

24. Baldinoboy

Baldinoboy

Hey FuzzyQuills. Just looked back at the Unity 5 thread. The new forum no longer sends emails to me for replies to subscribed threads:(. You said you had some screenshots. Figured you might as well show them here and/or at the Unity 5 thread.

I know you are really busy with Indie Effects so do not worry about the pictures now. Whenever you have free time.