Search Unity

Switching render pipeline in older project in 2018.1

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Simunek, Mar 22, 2018.

1. Simunek

Simunek

Hi,

I am about to import older project (5.6.1) to Unity 2018.1. Is it possible to switch to HD render pipeline or not? And am I able to switch to lightweit after that?

Is it possible or not? My biggest concern is that I would have to remake entire project... :/

Thank you verry much! :)

Petr

2. zoran404

zoran404

You wont have to remake the entire project, don't worry about it.

Simunek likes this.
  3. Simunek

Simunek

4. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

5. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

Interesting I hope asset store artists will support both pipelines

6. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

Would you be willing to pay double the price for that?

angrypenguin, Ryiah and theANMATOR2b like this.
  7. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

Well, I'm not that price sensitive, assets are dirt cheap. But I think many are not like me, so it could mean reduced sales.

angrypenguin likes this.
  8. Ryiah

Ryiah

Were asset suppliers suddenly charging double for having to support both PBR and non-PBR assets?

9. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

I saw a couple mention they increased price slightly but I don't think I ever saw double prices.
    Updates from legacy to PBR with a small price increase was justified imo. Going from 2-3 textures to 4-8 with separated channels and accurate shader setup was more work for the asset providers.

10. N1warhead

N1warhead

This is the reason why I just made my shaders free now, not worth doing all this render pipeline crap for a 5 dollar pack of shaders, it's not worth the effort. Might even just remove the shaders from the store all together being I won't, nor ever will support the other pipelines. 1 Shader is fine, but when you got like 40 shaders, now all of a sudden 120 shaders, nope I'm good.

If you ask me, this is a really horrible setup with how this is made. I'm not even slightly looking forward to this, the only reason I will be getting 2018 is for the jobs system if it's available in the initial release.

11. N1warhead

N1warhead

I mean don't take me wrong, I love having new stuff. But not with the effect of extra work to get that stuff. I can only imagine how many shaders are going to become obsolete the second it comes out. I'd say a good 80% of them will not be updated.

12. Ryiah

Ryiah

What's stopping you from simply rebuilding the shaders within the new node-based system?

13. N1warhead

N1warhead

Are you asking me???

If so, in all honesty, I was about ready to make them free anyways, but the other reason is, I hate node based editors. It took me months just to make a basic material in Substance Designer. When I say basic, I mean a single grey scale height map with metallic. I mean I know how to use it now. But what I mean is, I'd rather just code the shaders if I need them. I've had Shader Forge for over a year now, I've tried using it, and still can't even make a basic shader in it that is unique. I have no clue what 95% of what the nodes do, even if they tell me what they do.

Perhaps I just prefer code and have it in my head that code is superior in every way possible, and it probably is. But code, I can just look at it, and know within 2 seconds what almost anything means. Visual, I'd look at a basic graph for an hour messing with the graph, and still not understand what's even going on.

Ryiah likes this.
  14. Ryiah

Ryiah

Yes. I was just curious if it had allowed you to take bring existing shaders into it. I haven't taken the time to look at it myself and I had never taken the time to learn the old system either.

15. N1warhead

N1warhead

@Ryiah Ahhh okay, I have no idea if I could or couldn't honestly. It would be cool if it could read the code shaders, convert them to all the proper types. Now that would be fine. So long as I can keep updating the code version and just using the visual system to read it and export out the other formats lol.

16. Why would them be obsolete? The old stuff won't be deprecated for a long time and people, especially the real studios won't switch to the new RPs right away.
    There will be plenty of time to make adjustments and convert existing stuff to the new RPs.

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  17. Lu4e

Lu4e

I guess links from Peter77 has already pointed out, and they only obsolete from the new RP, not the existing one.

18. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

If you do - give us a heads up first. We can still use in 2017x. :)

N1warhead and Lu4e like this.