Search Unity

1. If you have experience with import & exporting custom (.unitypackage) packages, please help complete a survey (open until May 15, 2024).
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Survival Project (Without title at the moment) - FPS Survival game.

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Kirbyrawr, Oct 20, 2013.

1. Vanamerax

Vanamerax

Well I've always disliked a screen full of icons, numers, and progress bars. Implementing it in the game itself is great, but as far as I can think of it works best with futuristic games (which this isn't). Look at how they did it in deadspace for example. I think it's a great and innovative idea, although you didn't think a lot about how much health you had left. You could make your hands bloody when low on health, but I don't think that will be enough. Adding sound (beating heart for example) would help too.

You could also try the blood on the screen trick, or take a look at what the did here:

I support the idea of staying away from onscreen GUI as much as possible. Though I think you should consider when it really is important to notify the player (either via GUI or clear effects and sounds)

2. Calaek

Calaek

3. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

It's a web called www.trello.com , it's free so go for it ^w^

4. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Blood on the screen sound really good since it's in first person, also the other things are good too.
    Thanks for your answer, i'm waiting to see more updates of your game ^^

5. SicPy

SicPy

this will be a FPS only or it will have a third camera view option? (something like DayZ).

6. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Well it's not a problem for me to do a Third person system since i need to do the same animations for online so we can think about it :)

I was thinking of put an option on the server for lock the first person or use the third person in multiplayer.
    But since we want to make it semirealistic, we need to think about it.

7. SicPy

SicPy

Make it FPS only, that way the "off-screen GUI style " will make more sense, plus Oculus Rift! :cool:

8. Vanamerax

Vanamerax

Thanks and you're welcome ;) I can't wait for updates too hehe :)

About the third person camera, I've always found it a bit cheat-like and therefore don't like it personally. If it is in the game already, people just use the 3rd person camera so they can see more of what happens around them. People, like me, who prefer the first person view, are in a serieus disadvantage when it comes the PvP in locations with many obstacles or generally obstructed field of views. If you are going to implement it though, I'd strongly advise the server option at the least.

Personally, I'd avoid it at all, but that's just my opinion I guess :)

EDIT: and yes, oculus rift! :D

9. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Oculus Rift is added but i can't build the game with it since we need Unity Pro for it, so i need to save for get Unity Pro :3

10. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Yes i hate when a game have third person and all the people uses it instead of first person, is like you can see around you, and it don't give you the inmersive effect, by the way thanks for your comments ^^.
    Oculus rift is added but we need unity pro for the render, so it's time to save money haha :)

11. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

By the way, i added support for change the fov (Field of view) of the game since a lot of people have problems with it, i wanted the player settings like this.

12. Vanamerax

Vanamerax

I agree, kind of a shame that players always seek ways to abuse things. In this case though, it's most of the times not even on purpose.

Yeah pro...

Do you guys own an oculus?

13. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

No at the moment, i was planning to get one, but i tested it with an oculus of a friend and the 30 days pro unity.

14. Vanamerax

Vanamerax

I see, I think those things are pretty cool, but want to wait for the consumer version to release first. Apparently it will get upgrades to the screen with more resolution and general anti lag and jitter improvements. Still quite expensive unfortunately

15. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

You are right :)

16. virror

virror

Will be well worth the money when the consumer is out ; )

17. Vanamerax

Vanamerax

That's for sure! So I'll be waiting for the consumer version before I even consider buying it. The prices on the website are without taxes so it is actually a bit more expensive in the end...

18. Vanamerax

Vanamerax

Any progress? :D

19. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Of course Wasstraat , i implemented UMA System for procedural characters, also i'm making a lot of big progress in UI, actually they are 3D, also i'm doing a lot of fixes more and implementing better graphics, i will post some screenshots soon, thanks for your interest ^^.

20. Vanamerax

Vanamerax

Sounds good, can't wait! :)

21. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Updates:
    -Save/Load System for the characters, the extension of the characters is ".snsc"
    -New 3D UI for Menus.
    -New character customization, it uses UMA tool.
    -Female and Male characters, you can create your own, and modified it as you like.
    -Terrains for testing. (At the moment they are handmande, but i will do them in a different way).
    -Language Translation for every thing at the moment only Spanish and English but in the future more.
    -Dynamic Main Menu.

Here are some screenshots, still need to change a lot of things of the characters like textures or shader, and for the others same.
    $shot_131220_003258.png $shot_131220_003358.png $shot_131220_003427.png $shot_131220_003508.png

22. IcHoRELiTE

IcHoRELiTE

Looks pretty good so far. Keep it up.

23. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Thanks IcHoRELITe :) , comments like this motivate me to do the game better.
    I got new things for the game, and now i'm doing my own textures and trees:
    $shot_131222_010531.png $shot_131222_013529.png

PD: The Main menu is still wip, like the tree, the texture of the mountain and the characters skins.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2013
  24. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Finishing the menu, i wish i can have some critics about it, related to the backgrounds, the organization of the menu etc..., is still a little wip, like the terrain and some things more.
    $shot_131224_134600.png $shot_131224_134646.png $shot_131224_134725.png

25. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

Wow! =D Lots of improvements : ))) Really happy with the results you´re getting!

26. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Thanks Fernando, your system is here that's why is getting better haha :)

27. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

I was doing work behind the scenes, this mean more stability, fixes, less bugs etc...
    I managed to get the character procedurally created (With UMA, still need to tweak the models for add more hairs, better textures etc..) in the main world, here is the view of the character:

$shot_131230_023527.png

Still a lot of work but it's going well.

28. Cheburek

Cheburek

cool project, but I'd like to see some gameplay already! :D

29. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

You are right Cheburek, actually i'm trying to do all the things behind scenes, like list the characters you saved and things like that, but now i'm focusing in the gameplay, the crafting will be very different of other games like Minecraft, it will be physic based, i will try to have some gameplay soon ^^.
    Thanks for your comment : D!

30. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Added a lot of things in this two days, first i added movement and the camera for the character, the character can run crouch jump etc..., i added too things like if you press the run button the field of view go a little higher ( smooth transition) for make like a run effect.
    I still need to fix a lot of things of the movements.
    The camera is smooth, and you can adjust the sensivity in the options menu.

Oh yes, i forgot it, i added settings like you can change the field of view for those people who likes to play on higher fov, and i think that's all for now.

Here are some screenshots: $shot_131231_160326.png $shot_140101_040439.jpeg

31. NutellaDaddy

NutellaDaddy

I can see you are using some assets ,but you should try to get your own models and get some of your own textures. It makes for better practice. Good Job so far though. I can't wait to see what you do!

32. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Hi NutellaDaddy, you are right but since i'm the developer/artist of the game i can't do all the things at the same time haha.
    Actually there are my own textures and for the characters i did a color correction in the textures some time ago:
    $shot_131125_230830.png

(You can see i was using a texture from Shaderforge alpha, but i changed it, and you can see too the textures of the characters).

I didn't start seriously with the design but i have in mind a lot of things to do, from change the terrains, to do relief shaders and triplanars.

Cheers ^^

33. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

First test with blending geometry with the terrain (Custom shader made by me)
    $shot_140103_003550.png

34. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Lot of updates:
    -New "beggining" terrain, now it's a small island, actually it doesn't have anything, i need to put trees and more props.
    -Now the character can't run cliffs up.
    -When the character is near a structure he/she will stop of walk even if you press the walk button.
    -Now the character hands or other parts won't go through meshes this is applied to every object the character will wear.
    -Better collisions.
    -Better systems for thirsty and hunger.
    -Better stamina system.
    -Render of the character more fast.

I still need to do a lot of improvements to the terrain, but i have all planed , this week i will start with the crafting system and the construction.

I also added a forum for suggestions, or updates when the pre-alpha will be available.
    http://www.overflowingstudios.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=37&sid=95b08b359218fa0a4e9af03ec2188532

$shot_140109_225831.png $shot_140109_230350.png

Last edited: Jan 9, 2014
  35. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Starting with models:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 11, 2014
  36. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

I recently bought ShaderForge and i'm making a sea shader, it's my first attempt to do something like that, actually it's moving and without any script all in the shader:

Attached Files:

37. TVE

TVE

Looks nice!

38. kalamona

kalamona

Seems like a great project. It is very nice to see the constant upgrades.

39. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Thanks sir, actually i'm making custom shaders for terrain and improving the sea as you can see here:
    $shot_140111_215318.png

40. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Thanks sir!

41. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Hi just want to let the people know that this project is not abandoned, actually i bought Final IK for do awesome an dynamic things i had planned.
    I will put more images when i will have more things for post, actually the work is all behind the scenes.
    I got a little help for some things so the game will be better, but i can't talk nothing about it at the moment :3!

Cheers!

42. virror

virror

Looking forward to see the future updates ; )

43. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Thanks, but i want to see your game too Virror ; )!

44. virror

virror

I know, i know, me too : D

45. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Some improvements added:
    -Now the head will go up or down based on your view:
    $shot_140203_182549.png
    $shot_140203_182652.png

-Also i'm redoing the sky too:
    $shot_140203_202807.png

The game have a lot more improvements but i can't tell what are those things at the moment ; )

Cheers!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 4, 2014
  46. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

47. Terminator75

Terminator75

Your project looks very promising indeed, Good luck to you and keep up the good work :D

48. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Thanks a lot Terminator :)