Search Unity

1. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity is excited to announce that we will be collaborating with TheXPlace for a summer game jam from June 13 - June 19. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Surround sound (VR) audio

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Deleted User, Mar 29, 2015.

1. Deleted User

Deleted User

Hi!

I was thinking of making an (android) app where you can manipulate the source direction of sound by moving your smartphone. So exactly like virtual reality (Google Carboard, Oculus Rift), but with sound. An interactive 3D sound experience. This should definately exist already, somewhere, somehow... But i wanted to experiment on my own with it, and only sound, since i'm a sound designer.

I have zero programming or Unity skills tho, so I was wondering if this would be even something possible with Unity. I suppose it could work like having your gyroscope function as the manipulator of source direction of the sounds. Anyone any suggestions, tips, examples?

Thx in advance!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2015
  2. Voronoi

Voronoi

How is your (the users) device going to be hooked up to a surround system? If this was a desktop application, I believe Unity would sense the sound output of the desktop and if it is surround, will route appropriately. This is based on the desktop having a surround sound card.

Yes, a gyroscope/compass or accelerometer could be the trigger for speakers, but can android devices export to 5-Channel?

3. Deleted User

Deleted User

Hello Voronoi, thx for your reply! I'm sorry, I should've been more clear on that. Surround wasn't the word to use. The app is only fully experienced when wearing headphones. I found this plugin, but have no idea how to use it in Unity, and I think you have to have a paid license of Unity in order for it to work. This example uses the plugin, to give you an idea.

Also, I have no idea how to 'link up' your phone device to be recognised, let alone use the gyroscope function as input in Unity..

4. gregzo

gregzo