Search Unity

1. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity is excited to announce that we will be collaborating with TheXPlace for a summer game jam from June 13 - June 19. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

SUIMONO Water System - 2.0 BETA Announcement

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by chingwa, Nov 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chingwa

chingwa

Hi Don,

Check out the "fx_offset" setting under general settings of the SUIMONO_Module object. setting this to a lower amount will bring the fx plane closer to the camera, thus making it larger. You can adjust this until the fx fill your screen.

2. Don-Gray

Don-Gray

Thanks!

Any idea why the strange tiling and weird transparency effect?

Attached Files:

3. chingwa

chingwa

That screenshot looks really strange! I'm not sure exactly what is going on there... can you give me your Unity Version / OS version / Suimono version specs? also wether you're using dx11, and wether you're using deferred or forward rendering?

It could possibly be a settings issue (though it does look pretty whacked out!) does it continue to happen when you select different presets?

4. Don-Gray

Don-Gray

Yeah, presets change nothing. but it seems to be specific to this scene.
    DX11, Unity 4.3.1f1, Deferred, Suimono 2b6, Windows 8.1.

5. Don-Gray

Don-Gray

This error is appearing in the Console:

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    suimono_object_editor.OnInspectorGUI () (at Assets/SUIMONO - WATER SYSTEM 2/EDITOR/suimono_object_editor.js:77)
    UnityEditor.InspectorWindow.DrawEditors (Boolean isRepaintEvent, UnityEditor.Editor[] editors, Boolean eyeDropperDirty) (at C:/BuildAgent/work/d3d49558e4d408f4/Editor/Mono/Inspector/InspectorWindow.cs:850)
    UnityEditor.DockArea:OnGUI()

6. chingwa

chingwa

So this doesn't happen in other scenes? I wonder if there is another object in this scene that would be influencing this... any other objects or assets that affect the scene camera in any way? image effects?

This is pointing to a SUIMONO_Module object I believe.... make sure there is one (and only one) in your scene.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2014
  7. Don-Gray

Don-Gray

Ok, yeah, it's this sky plugin.
    If I turn it off, no change.
    If I remove it entirely from the scene, Suimono looks as it should.

8. chingwa

chingwa

OK interesting. I haven't heard of Nuaj problems before, but I'll look into this a bit and see what elements would be causing this.

9. Don-Gray

Don-Gray

Thanks, much appreciated!

10. rahul007

rahul007

When are you releasing on the assetstore?:confused:

11. NutellaDaddy

NutellaDaddy

Looks amazing ,but alas my pockets are empty of anything ,but lint and a chewed pencil. I am sorry I have not thou money to spareth for such quality!

12. TerraPass

TerraPass

Hi.
    I've recently purchased Suimono water system with 2.0 features in mind and so immediately proceeded to toy with 2.0 beta 6.
    3D water looks impressive and customization options are amazing. Good job!

I have several questions regarding interactivity, though.

First of all, attaching buoyancyObject to an object produces a reasonable amount of vertical movement (after some tweaking), however, regardless of the wave size, buoyancyObject's parent receives no rotation, contrary to what I would expect. Is there a way to make the rotation of buoyant objects somehow correlate with the changes of normals of the water surface sections under them?

A more general question: I know that 2.0 documentation is not yet complete, so I wonder if there is some sort of API provided for scripting. Is it possible, for instance, to get a normal direction given coordinates of a certain point on the water surface?

Another question: is it possible to achieve a convincing stern wake effect for boats and ships (such as in the image below) using Suimono and, if there are no tools available for it out-of-the-box, what would be your advice for implementing it?

Thanks in advance. :)

13. chingwa

chingwa

Hi TerraPass,

Thanks for checking out the beta and giving your comments!

The 3d waves in the current version are currently undergoing an overhaul (as well as the shaders) for the upcoming beta 7 (which should be out next week). Once the these waves are set, I'll be going back and revisiting the systems that depend on them... such as buoyancy, getHeight, underwater threshold etc.

Currently the buoyancy component doesn't apply rotational effects in and of themselves. However if you have a few buoyancy objects on 1 parent (a boat for example) that are spaced out, then you can achieve a rolling type of effect. It isn't referencing the wave normals, but it could give a placeholder effect for this, as 1 object will react to the wave force first and will thus start a tilting motion on the parent object until the second buoyancy object reacts to the wave force. I'll definitely keep this in mind when I revise the buoyancy component after beta 7. getting the actual wave normal might not be possible, but there may be some other calculations I can do that will approximate it...

Yeah there are certain things in the code that can be referenced... there's a GetHeight() function for example, though again, all this is going to be revised 'm afraid, which is why nothing is really documented quite yet. But, there will certainly be scripting access examples in the documentation on release.

Currently there are no specific FX for boat wakes... though I've been thinking of exploring this before final release. The current splash FX are simply particle systems that get pooled and implemented at points of contact. You could explore some custom particles on your own if you like... check out the "splash_effects" game objects that are under the SUIMONO_Module object in your scene. each one of these particles get's emitted with each intersection.

You can also use the "fx_splashEffects" helper script on your boat object and change the "splash Rings size" and "Splash Rings Timer" attributes to approximate a wake with the current system... It isn't really meant to be a boat wake but you can tweak it a bit to get something that will work as a placeholder I think.

Let me know what you think, and if you have any further questions, or suggestions!

14. TerraPass

TerraPass

Thanks for your quick reply, chingwa.
    It's nice to hear that there is still much to be expected for 2.0. For now, I think I'll experiment with fx_splashEffects and the GetHeight() function you mentioned.

15. aKobitz

aKobitz

Is there any estimated release date on a new beta build (07)? I noticed that you've uploaded an updated version of 06 since I brought up the preset manager issues, but they still persist in my scenes.

16. chingwa

chingwa

Hi aKobitz, the Beta 07 update should be out pretty soon. There will be a lot of changes/ additions with this update which is part of the reason it's taken me so long to get it out. But rest assured, development is still progressing well :D I was hoping to get it out this week, but since it's already thursday(!) 07 release will slip a bit... but SOON!

17. lazygunn

lazygunn

Esh i thought you'd completely disappeared! Looking forwards to the new beta

18. chingwa

chingwa

I'm still here! I think you'll like the next update lazygunn.

19. OneShotGG

OneShotGG

I am super excited for the next update! Is there a list of new stuff to sate my curiosity?

20. OrekaIngenierie

OrekaIngenierie

Hi i'm really interested by suimono for a project that i have to made soon, i have to manage for a very large scall ocean system with a deep under water feature. I wonder if suimono can make a really large ocean with far view and a deep under water my camera should go a fifty meter under water.

My second question is when is coming the suimono 2.0 official.

Thanks you

21. chingwa

chingwa

@pipic2006 - well, short answer is yes it can. The long answer, is that it depends. Currently, doing large scale ocean can be done, but for realistic wave resolution it really requires DX11 tesellation... so those not using or targeting dx11 will not be able to have adequate wave resolution in a large scale ocean. of course this really only effects waves... flat and calm "oceans" will work just fine without tesellation, and can be set to thousands of meters in size.

The water depth is fine and can be as deep as you want it to be.

As for official release... an exact date is unclear. But I hope to have it up on the asset store by the middle of February at the latest.

@OneShotGG -I guess I SHOULD start making a list of updates before I start to forget stuff... ! :D I'll post some screens and upcoming changes here soon.

22. OrekaIngenierie

OrekaIngenierie

Thanks you,

The targetting client machine is not a problem it will be on a stand alone tactile windows machine with big graphics capability.
    Thank you for your really quick answer. That i could see from your video it really look amazing !

23. renardmf

renardmf

Hello,

The plugin is looking great so far! I was having a little issue though and was wondering if was currently made to work in linear space. Both in the scene I am working on and in the demo scene it seems like I lose all definition (height) of the waves and shader when I switch from gamma to linear space. My setup currently is DirectX 11 mode, linear color space, with HDR set on my camera in Unity 4.3.3, running Windows 7 64bit using Suimono 2.0 beta 6.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

24. chingwa

chingwa

Thank You! Actually, yes this is something I've noticed as well. The next beta version has an updated surface shader that not only looks better overall, but also is much more consistent from gamma-space to linear-space. Of course as with anything linear, you may need to tweak some settings a bit, but it should be pretty straight forward and it doesn't lose definition like the current version does. Below is a quick screenshot comparison (work-in-progress of course!) that shows the same view both in gamma and linear...

25. lazygunn

lazygunn

*taps watch* come on! haha

In an interesting contrast to what was doing with oceans, this is now probably going to be my tool of choice for several large bodies of water (lakes, mostly) needed, so i'm looking forwards to what you've been busy with all this time! I expect nothing less than excellent though

I suppose i'd like to talk rivers at some point, if you're interested in rivers at all, but i'll take that to PM

26. laurent-clave

laurent-clave

This FX is great! ;)

Attached Files:

27. chingwa

chingwa

haha that looks AWESOME :D

28. Seith

Seith

Yes it does! That's really cool! :D

29. norby

norby

Chingwa

This is looking cool , wow
    keep up the good work

Norby

30. GCatz

GCatz

31. chingwa

chingwa

Thanks Guys! Next beta version is almost finished and I'll have some screens and details up soon!

32. laurent-clave

laurent-clave

I can not wait: D

33. Emoglobinsky

Emoglobinsky

Hi chingwa

Amazing plugin incoming ! I wonder how much this plugin would cost in final release ?
    As indie, we might be interested by your solution but we would like to know if if it could fit our project : we will need a huge ocean to display, with animated waves and fog volume and all the fancy stuff. Buyancy, physics is a plus ;)

Is there a way to try it ?

34. chingwa

chingwa

Hi Em',

The final price will actually be the same price as right now ($65) at least for the forseeable future. I don't plan on having a trial version, but once the beta is done I'll have a webplayer, as well as instruction videos so you can get a real feel of what you're getting before buying. For a large ocean with animated waves and all the bells and whistles it's best if you're using DX11, but to be honest it still looks really nice without it and you still get most of the bells and whistles. (sans high res waves).

35. Emoglobinsky

Emoglobinsky

Oh, what a nice price ! THB we are in love of your shader, we might buy it soon (or when the beta ends) !
    Right now we don't know if we gonna use DX11 as we are in prototyping and that we'll need a lot of free memory ^^

Thanks for the answers, can't wait for your release ;)

36. OneShotGG

OneShotGG

Rivers can be done with a plane in the shape of the river and a shader. Something like "flow" would work for the shader. The reason you need to actually model the river geometry is so that the texture flow follows the "direction" of the river.

EasyRoads3d also has a river tool.

Now, if he wanted to somehow create a system where river edges flow slower than the middle of the river then I think it would be worth it but for classic river shading I am not sure what he can do that classic methods don't (In that case I would rather him focus on ocean/lakes).

Now I WOULD love to see a modular waterfall system....

Last edited: Feb 14, 2014
  37. gecko

gecko

How long does it take to get beta access after purchasing from the asset store? (I submitted my invoice number yesterday about noon.)

38. chingwa

chingwa

Hi Gecko, I got your request and sent it out shortly after you sent it yesterday. I also just re-sent it to you a couple minutes ago. (maybe it went into a junk mail folder?) Please let me know if you don't receive it, you can email me directly at konnichiwa[at]tanukidigital.com

In answer to your question though, for others who may be reading, I check and respond to beta requests as soon as possible! Sometimes this means only a couple minutes after sending the request. Other times if a request is sent from a different timezone and I'm sleeping then you'll have to wait for me to wake up first (sorry ^_^ ) but you'll almost never have to wait more than 12 hours. Of course if you feel you've been waiting too long, feel free to send an email for a status update.

39. gecko

gecko

Thanks for the quick reply. Emailing you now. I think the problem is a miscalibrated SpamAssassin.

40. lazygunn

lazygunn

I was thinking more about flowmap generation or a hand towards integration for courses for water that can be narrow, very long and have complex flow behaviour, the bit regarding the river flowing slower at the banks is simulated by these maps. There are two tools that i know of on the asset store that create flowmaps (And you can paint/generate them in a variety of 3rd party apps) but assuming the large water bodies would show a specific direction and methodology it would be interesting to see if there might be complementary approaches for water courses. Still, it's nothing much of a consideration at the moment but something i felt worth bringing up

41. gecko

gecko

I've imported the beta into an iOS project, but the water is pink even after I change Unity Version Target to Unity Mobile. (It's pink no matter what I choose in that pulldown, even after I press Play.) Is there something else I need to do to activate that selection?

42. chingwa

chingwa

Hi Gecko,

Well, usually this is a problem with finding the correct shader... which is why I implemented the "Unity Version Target" switch. You're using beta version 6, yes? As a test, you can try deactivating the Suimono_Module object, and then go to the "Suimono_Object" game object (which is a child object of "Suimono_Surface") and manually switch the shader here to the water_mobile version...

I've had some reports of shader problems with Android devices, so perhaps this is related? (though noone else has told me any problems with iOS). I've done some reformulating of the mobile android shaders in the next version, so perhaps that will fix this problem as well. beta version 7 will be out this week. (yes, I've said that before, but this time I MEAN it o_O)

43. gecko

gecko

This is happening the editor, with platform set to iOS. I tried what you suggested, no change. Then I created a new project, imported the beta, and it looks great -- with the platform set to Mac standalone. But when I switch platforms to iOS, then the water turns pink and remains pink even after I change the Target to Unity Mobile.

Oh, phooey, I forgot to include the console error before. It happens in the new project as well, when set to iOS. Maybe that'll be helpful, eh?

Material doesn't have a color property '_DepthColorB'
    UnityEngine.Material:GetColor(String)
    SuimonoObject:Update() (at Assets/SUIMONO - WATER SYSTEM 2/SCRIPTS/SuimonoObject.js:411)

44. shwa

shwa

Water in the videos on page 1 looks really good.

Will Suimono integrate well with Unistorm?

If not, what weather/lighting system would be recommended?

tx,

shwa

45. chingwa

chingwa

Hi Shwa,

I believe Unistorm should work fine. Reflections and such should "just work". You may need to tweak some light settings or colors, but I think this would go for any sky/lighting system in order to integrate it best into your scene.

Incidentally I've been working on my own dynamic weather/light/sky system which I plan to put on the store before it gets too far into the year, but I haven't made any announcements as of yet... gotta get this beta finished up first! :)

46. chingwa

chingwa

Soon....

Beta Version 7 is coming this weekend.

47. lazygunn

lazygunn

Hey! That's looking good! It's quite a stylised look in itself which really was what I was hoping for, as suimono has always seemed very art-focussed. Actually surprised really because it's got a very striking look. I'm looking forwards to the weekends experiments i think!

48. IM_A_CAT_AMA

IM_A_CAT_AMA

Was debating buying this, now it's a sure purchase! Looks awesome!

49. tatoforever

tatoforever

Your water system is looking pretty nice, kudos. Except, If I were you I'll add some edge blending so we don't see any hard edge when geometry intersection occurs. You can already do it with the depthmap you are using on your edge foam. Let me know if you need help doing it, I might help you. ;) :rolleyes:

50. chingwa

chingwa

you mean like this.... ? :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.