Search Unity

1. If you have experience with import & exporting custom (.unitypackage) packages, please help complete a survey (open until May 15, 2024).
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Suggestions

Discussion in 'Prefabs' started by Igor_Vasiak, Sep 13, 2018.

1. Igor_Vasiak

Igor_Vasiak

I've been using Unity 2018.3 beta for a day now and, I must say, the new Improved Prefab Workflows are, while amazing, flawed (just like if they were in beta... ;p). Here are a few suggestions to improve it:

Reorder Prefab Variant's Children

I've faced a few situations while upgrading my prefabs where I would have liked to be able to reorder the children of a Prefab Variant, either by adding a new child (which is possible, if you don't mess with the existing children) or by changing the order by hand.

Block The Auto-Sort of Nested Prefab's Nested Prefab's Children

Okay, it is confusing, I know. Let's go piece by piece and I'll try to explain better.

Imagine you have a Prefab. Wonderfull, right? Now, you have a Nested Prefab in it. Then you have yet another Nested Prefab within that same one, and you have some children in that Prefab.

If you try to make the children of the last Prefab obey a specific order, you'll fail. It'll reset to some sort of "default" order that doesn't make any sense.

REMOVE THE DAMN "PPtr cast failed when deref..." ERROR!

Did you ever receive a Spam e-mail nonstop? If so you know the feeling.

Oh, this error is "spamming" my Console! What the hell is it talking about!? XD

Here's the full version of it:

| PPtr cast failed when dereferencing! Casting from PrefabInstance to Prefab!
    | UnityEngine.GUIUtility: P
    rocessEvent(Int32, IntPtr)

These are my suggestions. Hopefully some of them will see the light on the next beta update. ;)

2. runevision

runevision

This is not trivial at all, unfortunately. It's one of the things we can consider for future releases along with the other feature improvements.

Sounds like a bug, but not one I've heard of before. It would help us if you could file a bug report with repro project and repro steps.

I'm told a fix is on the way.

Igor_Vasiak likes this.
  3. Igor_Vasiak

Igor_Vasiak

Hey, thanks for the quick reply. I'll file a bug about the auto sort thingy right now.

runevision likes this.