Search Unity

Question Suggestions on what to use for multiplayer integration

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by Pipeey, May 7, 2022.

1. Pipeey

Pipeey

Hello everyone,

I am trying to plan out a mobile game where players will interact with a live market containing real time trade requests from other players, kind of like the Auction House in WoW.

I have done some research on the most commonly used ways to implement player/player interaction this way but each way I have seen has had someone saying something bad about it or I couldn’t find enough information on global data storage/access.

Some examples would be:

Node.Js with Redis but I saw people were having issues with phone stores using this method.

I’ve looked at other ways to implement online data sharing with Unity such as:
    Photon
    Mirror
    GameSparks
    PlayFab

Now comes the question, is there anyone out there that has had some success with something like this, and if so what have you used to control the access/storage of global data? I am not looking for a step by step on how to do this, just what people have had some success using to do so.

Overall my goal is to have unity access a database using a middleman whenever a refresh time is hit for a mobile game. My experience is in C#/SQL Server and a small amount of JavaScript.

I appreciate any and all feedback, thank you.

2. Punfish

Punfish

I don't think you need Photon or Mirror for this. It sounds as tough you are looking to make a UI app rather than your typical game environment, correct? If so you could 100% get by just using API calls to your backend.

Last edited: May 14, 2022
  3. tobiass

tobiass

Use a http based backend for this. Unless you really need realtime interaction, the http approach is easier, as scalable and there is a bigger pool of developers who know how to do this.
    Don't grant direct access to the DB, however ;)