Search Unity

Suggestions for where to host a Server

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by benzy54n, Oct 9, 2018.

1. benzy54n

benzy54n

I have a server application created with Unity. I want to have this run on a dedicated machine all the time. It is a collaboration tool that only 1 or 2 users will be connecting to at a time.

My question is are there simple solutions out there to where this unity application can be hosted. My thoughts are:

1) I can set it up inside my network at home on a dedicated PC but I haven't figured out how to do nat punch thru. I can still do this without the punch thru and hope my IP stays the same and open ports on the router. If my global IP does change I have to communicated to the team.
    2) Using something like Amazon Web Services. Seems like a steep learning curve to even figure out if this is what I would want.
    3)?

So anyone have experience with this or faced this dilemma before with a unity created server app?

2. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

For testing purposes I use a dedicated machine at home running Ubuntu. If this is going to be a dedicated server game, you don't use nat punch through. You log into your router and port forward to your server.

As far as renting a dedicated server, the best prices I've found for some outdated hardware is at Joe's Datacenter. I haven't used them yet, so can't speak for their customer service.

https://joesdatacenter.com/dedicated-servers/

3. nxrighthere

nxrighthere

GCatz likes this.