Search Unity

1. Unity 2018.3 is now released.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. The Unity Pro & Visual Studio Professional Bundle gives you the tools you need to develop faster & collaborate more efficiently. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Want more efficiency in your development work? Sign up to receive weekly tech and creative know-how from Unity experts.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Build games and experiences that can load instantly and without install. Explore the Project Tiny Preview today!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Nominations have been announced for this years Unity Awards. Celebrate the wonderful projects made by your peers this year and get voting! Vote here!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Want to provide direct feedback to the Unity team? Join the Unity Advisory Panel.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Improve your Unity skills with a certified instructor in a private, interactive classroom. Watch the overview now.
    Dismiss Notice

Suggestions for where to host a Server

Discussion in 'Connected Games' started by benzy54n, Oct 9, 2018.

1. benzy54n

benzy54n

I have a server application created with Unity. I want to have this run on a dedicated machine all the time. It is a collaboration tool that only 1 or 2 users will be connecting to at a time.

My question is are there simple solutions out there to where this unity application can be hosted. My thoughts are:

1) I can set it up inside my network at home on a dedicated PC but I haven't figured out how to do nat punch thru. I can still do this without the punch thru and hope my IP stays the same and open ports on the router. If my global IP does change I have to communicated to the team.
    2) Using something like Amazon Web Services. Seems like a steep learning curve to even figure out if this is what I would want.
    3)?

So anyone have experience with this or faced this dilemma before with a unity created server app?

2. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

For testing purposes I use a dedicated machine at home running Ubuntu. If this is going to be a dedicated server game, you don't use nat punch through. You log into your router and port forward to your server.

As far as renting a dedicated server, the best prices I've found for some outdated hardware is at Joe's Datacenter. I haven't used them yet, so can't speak for their customer service.

https://joesdatacenter.com/dedicated-servers/

3. nxrighthere

nxrighthere

GCat likes this.