Search Unity

Suggestions for local multiplayer framework

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by GabLog, Aug 15, 2018.

1. GabLog

GabLog

Hie everyone, for a school course me and my team must develope a multiplayer game:
    - fast paced, is a racing game with action game elements
    - 4-10 players per match
    - must run in local multiplayer (without an actual connection to the network)
    The game must be showed off during an event where no internet connection in provided.
    Which framework would you recommend to use? Photon, UNet or others and why?
    If any other information is needed let me know. Thanks in advance

2. Pandalawl

Pandalawl

Photon needs a internet Connection so this would not work.
    I think Unet should work fine for a local Game.

3. Munchy2007

Munchy2007

In fact Photon has a single player/offline mode which allows you to run exactly the same network code as you would when online but doesn't require you to be connected to the Photon network to do so. So on that basis I would say Photon would be ideal.

Edit: Ignore that, I just noticed it needs to run in local multiplayer, so As Padalawl says Photon won't be suitable.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2018
  4. GabLog

GabLog

Yeah, that's what I knew too, Photon needs a connection. How "strong" should the connection be? I might get a deal with my phone network provider and get some GB from them. I made various speedtests from th phone and it was around 10 Mb/s in dl and 3/5 Mb/s in ul, with 15 ms ping, then the PC should connect to the phone as hotspot and something would be added in the connection. Would that work? Sry but i heard Photon is better than UNet.

5. thesupersoup

thesupersoup

Just use UNET. Every additional layer of complexity (phone hotspot bring another) is one more thing to go wrong when presenting. UNET is very easy to get working with LAN games as far as hosting and joining. Make sure you understand server/client authority when writing your code. https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/UNetAuthority.html

6. Munchy2007

Munchy2007

Photon is far less buggy than UNET, is imo easier to use, has decent support and isn't deprecated. Assuming you can use your phone as a wireless hotspot, the connection speed seems decent enough to handle things.

7. GabLog

GabLog

I worked in the past with UNET and was not really a pleasure, so I was trying to test a new framework, but looking for suggestions. Thanks everyone, I'll se what i can do.

8. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

I think you're out of luck looking for an alternative high level API right now. All the others I'm aware of deal with networking at a lower level where you're handling the messages instead of an automatic system of syncing objects, so you're building your own higher level functionality on top of the networking API.