Search Unity

Strange warping effect with Cinemachine Target Follow

Discussion in 'Cinemachine' started by bowserscastle, Mar 31, 2018.

1. bowserscastle

bowserscastle

Hi there,

I've been struggling with an issue for quite some time now and have all but run out of ideas.
    I'm using a Cinemachine Virtual Camera in a 2D project to follow around a target. The ground / background is a Unity Tilemap GameObject.
    As you can see in this gif, when following around the player (a 24x24 sprite), the background tiles seem to warp a bit. I've tried to script all types of solutions to adjust the Virtual Camera transform position and hopefully snap/move it "correctly" to no avail. I don't even know for sure that the source of the issue is with the camera setup. I'm running out of potential solutions to something that seems like a pretty straightforward and very common scenario. I've created a sample project illustrating the issue which can be downloaded here.

Using Unity 2017.4.0f1 Personal.
    The background sprites are 32x32, with a PPU of 32. No compression, Point (no filter), rendered using a material with Shader: Sprites/Default, and Pixel snap.

Cinemachine Virtual Cam is set to Ortho lens size 16, Body: Framing Transposer with default settings.

Thank you so much for any suggestions or tips!!!
    It would be amazing to hear from @Adam_Myhill or @Gregoryl :)

It feels similar to what's being described here with sub-pixel movement but I don't know for sure. The solution in that blog post feels like it should be unnecessary at this point (but again - maybe not).

I've created camera scripts and attached them to the virtual camera as follows:

UPDATE: This appears to be a camera size issue, as per this helpful post. Keeping this post up in case it helps others in the future.

Code (CSharp):
    2. float maxPixelHeight = 32;
    3. CinemachineVirtualCamera vcam;
    5. public void Awake()
    6.     {
    7.         float scale = Screen.height / maxPixelHeight;
    8.         float orthographicSize = (Screen.height / scale) / 2f;
    9.         vcam = GetComponent<CinemachineVirtualCamera>();
    10.         vcam.m_Lens.OrthographicSize = orthographicSize;
    11. }
    13.     public void Update()
    14.     {
    15.         Vector3 tempPos = vcam.transform.position;
    16.       Vector3 newPos = new Vector3(Mathf.RoundToInt(tempPos.x), Mathf.RoundToInt(tempPos.y), Mathf.RoundToInt(tempPos.z));
    17.         vcam.transform.position = tempPos;
    18.     }
    I've also tried:

Code (CSharp):
    1.     public void Update()
    2.     {
    3.         Vector3 tempPos = vcam.transform.position;
    4. Vector3 newPos = new Vector3((float)System.Math.Round((decimal)tempPos.x, 2) , (float)System.Math.Round((decimal)tempPos.y, 2), (float)System.Math.Round((decimal)tempPos.z, 2));
    5.         vcam.transform.position = newPos;
    6.     }
    and something like:
    Code (CSharp):
    1.     public void Update()
    2.     {
    3.         Vector3 tempPos = vcam.transform.position;
    4.         vcam.transform.position = new Vector3(RoundToNearestPixel(tempPos.x), RoundToNearestPixel(tempPos.y), RoundToNearestPixel(tempPos.z));
    5.     }
    7.     public float RoundToNearestPixel(float unityUnits)
    8.     {
    9.         float valueInPixels = unityUnits * maxPixelHeight;
    10.         valueInPixels = Mathf.Round(valueInPixels);
    11.         float roundedUnityUnits = valueInPixels * (1 / maxPixelHeight);
    12.         return roundedUnityUnits;
    13.     }

Last edited: Apr 3, 2018
    Gregoryl likes this.
  2. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

@bowserscastle Sounds like you've got this solved. Let me know if there's anything else that I can help with.

bowserscastle likes this.
  3. bowserscastle

bowserscastle

Thank you @Gregoryl! Yep, all is well with the shimmer effect. I'm seeing a different issue though with 2D camera jitters as detailed here. I spent a lot of time going through a lot of threads where others have seen similar issues, and produced a super stripped-down project demonstrating the issue. I'm sure it's something very simple that I'm overlooking. It would be of tremendous help if you had a few moments to take a look. Thank you!