Search Unity

Still cannot open a basic C# script in Unity Alpha v5

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by EASYJABBA, Jun 7, 2019.

1. EASYJABBA

EASYJABBA

Hello.

This bug has been around for months now just looking at the beta version forum, why cant Unity open a basic C# script, one of the main functions of any engine? Such a basic necessary task and after 3 seconds of testing Unity Alpha v5, its still the same, it even loads the wrong one after you open the script again?

Also why did the Alpha V5 download and install the 2019 VS? I didn't ask for that program so why did it just decide to download and install in C Drive, not happy about that either.

Even testing the 2019 version, you still cannot open a script, Unity even errors with this console message.

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    UnityEditor.Experimental.AssetImporters.AssetImporterEditor.InternalSetTargets (UnityEngine.Object[] t) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/AssetPipelineEditor/ImportSettings/AssetImporterEditor.cs:122)
    UnityEditor.Editor.OnForceReloadInspector () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/Inspector/Editor.cs:603)

What is going off here Unity devs?

Have we installed VS wrong? Does it need any extensions? What's the problem here? The huge amount of posts regarding this issue on the beta forum should suggest you actually fix this mess, we have to work on this Alpha version seeing as you haven't even updated the core count on your own engine.

Can anyone help please?

Thankyou for your time and hope to speak soon.

PayandaOnline likes this.
  2. molt12

molt12

Have the save problem, if you find the answer please reply this comment:)

3. PayandaOnline

PayandaOnline

Yes, I have the same problem. No problem running scripts when I choose linux mac on pc. The scripts don't work when I choose android.

4. EASYJABBA

EASYJABBA

It is clearly related to the 2019.3 what are you talking about? Sounds like you just hiding the problem to me just moving all the threads into some generic 'General Support' section.

Funny how Unity hasn't even marked this issue as a bug, its been going on for months now.

Who the hell is going to help us in the General section for the bloody Alpha Version 5? No-one so thanks for moving the thread.

5. bugfinders

bugfinders

Have you installed the VS package?

6. EASYJABBA

EASYJABBA

Thanks for the reply.

If you are referring to the C# package then yes we have everything installed, it was working correctly in the 2018 version but if you have any CPU with more than 16 threads then the CPU main will be drastically increased.

7. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

You're asking these questions like you're expecting release build quality out of an alpha build. This type of issue is typical of an alpha. Alphas are released with known bugs, known missing functionality, known broken functionality. This is done on purpose. If they were to fix all serious bugs first, you wouldn't get to test out 2019.3 until around the end of the year.

It is a mistake to try to get serious work done using an alpha, but I suspect that is why you're so concerned about this. 2019.3 is simply not ready for that. This issue will get fixed on their schedule, along with all the other serious issues filed, in time for 2019.3's actual release - which is probably around December.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
  8. bugfinders

bugfinders

Its a unity package, they added packages now for visual studio and visual code....

9. Surarn

Surarn

Hey

So, i had the same problem and after about 6 hours of testing everything i found the solution to it.
    I think you have the same problem since you also have the dir C:/buildslave which i saw others didnt. So i would guess you are from a country that have odd letters in their alphabet.

So i kept my project folder in a dir that cointained a space between my first and last name and my last name contains the letter ö.

Switching my project folder to C://UnityProjects made it all work.

Im trying to get this out there so please feel free to spread it.

wk0219 and Joe-Censored like this.
  10. wk0219

wk0219

I tried moving the project folder and it resolved the issue for me, thank you.

11. Deleted User

Deleted User