Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Visual studio 2017 no longer opens in a13

Discussion in '2019.2 Beta' started by Snorkel, Apr 25, 2019.

1. Deleted User

Deleted User

Read post #23. :)

2. EASYJABBA

EASYJABBA

Thanks for the reply.

So is Miniwolf the only dev working on VS bugs? Who else works in the bug fixing team for this engine? Cant expect one guy to fix this mess.

3. DevDeedSquire

DevDeedSquire

Hello all, I'm also having some issue using Unity 2019.2.0b5 Personal and Visual Studios 2017

Double clicking on a script within 2019.2.0b5 does not open it within VS, Unity 2018.3.7f1 works fine in this regard though.

I've got a work around for others with this issue though, if I open the project solution from within VS any new Scripts created are visible and I have full intellisense working.

4. Deleted User

Deleted User

I tried that, opened VS, started the solution, opened the project in Unity 2019.3.0a5, created a new script, autocompletion still doesn't work.

5. Lo-renzo

Lo-renzo

Unity 2019.2.0b5 Personal + Visual Studio 2019 (16.1.2) Community cannot open scripts by double clicking on them. It also cannot open Visual Studio from Console's links. Edit > Preferences > External Tools is set to Visual Studio 2019. However, by opening the .sln itself it seems to Work (w/ Intellisense) but this then forces manual navigation through Solution Explorer. Unity hooks like Awake(), Start(), Update() on MonoBehaviours are improperly considered "unused" methods. On the plus side, VS 2019 seems much better at noticing when I have unused fields/properties + method parameters in comparison to VS 2017 + earlier 2019.2's, so I've found plenty of new unused stuff.

Visual Studio Code (if set in External Tools) works for double-click opening scripts and via links, so that's fine.

PARTIAL FIX: updating Package Manager > Visual Studio Editor 1.0.5 to 1.0.11 solved launching from scripts + console. It's still not recognizing Update() and the like as not "unused"

Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
  6. miniwolf_unity

miniwolf_unity

Unity Technologies

So status update time:

There is not going to be any new fixes since last time. But I have made some decisions that should solve a lot of problem (all with Visual Studio for Mac and for Windows). I am going to back the code back in, for Visual Studio only. So this will not affect Rider nor Visual Studio Code. They will remain as a package.
    I am collaborating with Microsoft so that both our QA and their QA can verify that things has not broken. So things should go back to the way the works in Unity 2019.1 before we go out of Beta for 2019.2 (which is what we will start with).
    For the remaining problems with VS Code it will take a little more effort, but it will be worked out. The problem for Mac is that VS Code does not support OSX `open`: https://github.com/microsoft/vscode/issues/74414
    So we will have to work around this. But I have plans to fix that.

I will return when the back out has been approved and landed in a beta version for 2019.2. The back out will also happen for 2019.3, but for now I will focus on 2019.2 as it is closer to releasing.

As mentioned before, if you haven't already, please file bug reports to Unity, instead of this forum. It makes it soo much easier for me to keep track of issues that are resolved, and issues that are still hanging around. You may feel that I overlook your problems, and I feel that too, I simply don't have the overview of remaining issues from this thread.

Deleted User likes this.
  7. bdovaz

bdovaz

So VS integration will not be a package? Is it temporary?

8. Deleted User

Deleted User

Thanks for the hard work! :)

It wasn't until 2019.2 and 2019.3 and Visual Studio was working perfectly. ;)

9. bdovaz

bdovaz

I know that, I mean that since 2019.2b you are separating the integration with IDEs in packages, if the integration of VS is also going to be a package or because of the problem you have found it will stop being a package temporarily/permanently.

10. Deleted User

Deleted User

How would that be a problem? What @miniwolf_unity says is that they are putting things back as they are currently in 2019.1 (and the previous versions) so that Visual Studio (the Windows version) can work with 2019.2 and later with 2019.3. I can only suppose that they will carry on working on a package until they find how to have it work properly in future versions. :)

LeonhardP likes this.
  11. bdovaz

bdovaz

Ok, thanks.

12. Protagonist

Protagonist

@miniwolf_unity

Update: Using 2019.2.0b6 and removing the Visual Studio Code Editor 1.0.7 package, results in everything working correctly like it used to.

13. Deleted User

Deleted User

@miniwolf_unity Your package version 1.0.11 is working in 2019.3.0a6! Autocompletion works and all!

I installed 2019.3.0a6, created a new test project and the usual test script. When entering
    Code (CSharp):
    1. using System.Collections;
    2. using System.Collections.Generic;
    3. using UnityEngine;
    5. public class Test : MonoBehaviour
    6. {
    7.     void star
    8. }
    and punching enter, the line autocompleted automatically as it does in 2019.1.
    Code (CSharp):
    1. using System.Collections;
    2. using System.Collections.Generic;
    3. using UnityEngine;
    5. public class Test : MonoBehaviour
    6. {
    7.     private void Start()
    8.     {
    10.     }
    11. }
    I haven't tested further though.

Edit: I forgot:
    1. when I double-clicked on the script in the editor, VS 2019 launched, was rejected in the background and the script was not loaded; I had to load it manually.
    2. Start is still mentioned as "unused" which doesn't happen in 2019.1.
    In 2019.3.0a6:

Sans-titre-1.jpg

In 2019.1.7f1:

Sans-titre-2.jpg

14. rmon222

rmon222

This thread is a month old but right-clicking and clicking "Open C# Project" worked for me. From then on, I can double click scripts to open VS as before. Using VS 2017 as an external editor in Unity 2019.2.0b6.

15. vhman

vhman

Hi, @miniwolf_unity

I have VS-Comunity-2019, Unity-2019.2b and latest Unity tools installed (both, unity package and VS extension).
    I have the same issue, scripts does not opens, there no error logs in unity, but Event Viewer shows:

Faulting application name: COMIntegration.dom, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x5ccc9a7b
    Faulting module name: ucrtbase.dll, version: 10.0.17134.677, time stamp: 0x9b002dcc
    Exception code: 0xc0000409
    Fault offset: 0x000a1aeb
    Faulting process id: 0x232c
    Faulting application start time: 0x01d53521644b7812
    Faulting application path: C:\Users\...\Library\PackageCache\com.unity.ide.visualstudio@1.0.11\Editor\COMIntegration\Release\COMIntegration.dom
    Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\ucrtbase.dll
    Report Id: 877de4d5-4b1f-4fdb-bec4-0bd68ed1f2d3
    Faulting package full name:
    Faulting package-relative application ID:

To be clear its win10, and it has ucrtbase.dll, version: 10.0.17134.677.

Is there anything I can do with it?

16. Deleted User

Deleted User

Do not use an alpha or beta version of Unity. Use versions that have an "f" in their name.

17. Rodolfo-Rubens

Rodolfo-Rubens

Hey guys,

Just an update:
    With Unity 2019.3.0a11 and VS Community 2019 16.2.0 (latest as of today), everything is working hella fine like:
    Mono behaviour calls auto complete, rename of mono behaviour classes + its file name for refactor, auto syncing new .cs files, etc.

edit: also no complaints from VS about "never calling" mono behaviour calls like Start, Awake, etc.

18. Deleted User

Deleted User

Good news; thanks for trying! ;)

19. Deleted User

Deleted User

Problem solved in both 2019.2 and 2019.3. Alpha: the faulty Visual Studio Editor package has been removed. :)

I guess this thread can be locked now. @hippocoder :)

20. EugeneJefferson

EugeneJefferson

2019.2.9f1 have this problem

21. Deleted User

Deleted User

Take a look in the Package Manager and make sure Visual Studio Editor is not installed.

22. EugeneJefferson

EugeneJefferson

Nope( Nothing happens( I have rebooted my computer, reinstalled packages, downloaded project again.. Game works but I cant open scripts in VisualSudioCode( I don't know what happened yesterday, but today I cant edit my scripts in this version( btw in 2018.4.7f1 all works well

23. Deleted User

Deleted User

You are on Mac? There are problems with the Visual Studio Code package. Maybe you should get back to a backup version of your project and carry on with a version of Unity that doesn't have this problem. :)

24. EugeneJefferson

EugeneJefferson

hmm it weird I created new project in this version and all works fine( Im using Windows)

25. Deleted User

Deleted User

No problems on Windows, problems on Macs.