Search Unity

SteamVR Beta and Unity native inputs issue (?)

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by Gruguir, May 19, 2018.

1. Gruguir

Gruguir

I'm posting here to keep track and discuss this issue.
    The newest SteamVR Beta introduce input remapping feature, i really doubt that it is a good idea but that's another topic. Yesterday i returned to work on an XR project and all of a sudden my controls didn't respond to any button, only tracking. I took a deep breath and realised i got same results with my other projects too !
    It is to note that i only tested it in editor and 2017.3.1f1, using Vive Pre.
    I rely on Unity native input class, for cross-platform sake / avoiding some proprietary plugins nonsenses.
    I can't assert that it happened strictly because of SteamVR Beta update, but switching to non-beta solve the problem. I'm working on a input wrapper/helper (XR Control) and thought at first of a nasty bug, but a simple script using only Unity native input detection attest the issue. I found no complaint about that anywhere online, so it could be a local issue, however i think that it is mostly due to devs largely relying on SteamVR SDK other native input class. Being disappointed (to put it politely) by the way Unity/Valve handle requests/issues/reports those days i just post it here (and here) for now.

2. levi777l

levi777l

Im having this issue as well. Any idea on a fix?

3. Gruguir

Gruguir

@levi777l So that's not just me.. No idea other than switch back to non-beta SteamVR.

4. levi777l

levi777l

Im trying to use the vive trackers with the Meta 2. Meta 2 requires steamvr beta so rolling back isn't even an option. =(

5. tomlong74

tomlong74

I'm seeing the same results with my Unity 2018.2.0b1 with SteamVR Beta (I only have beta as an option because OSX Dev'ing on MBP2017) -- I posted my issue (here) under VR on macOS Preview.

Good news is it seems to be only an editor issue - builds track the controllers and inputs.