Search Unity

Stable Unity version for Android?

Discussion in 'Android' started by MalyaWka, Jul 4, 2019.

?

Stable Unity version for Android?

1. 2019.1

2 vote(s)
    28.6%
  2. 2018.4

2 vote(s)
    28.6%
  3. 2018.3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. 2018.2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. 2018.1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. 2017.4

1 vote(s)
    14.3%
  7. 2017.2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. 2017.1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. It is no longer download ...

2 vote(s)
    28.6%
  1. MalyaWka

MalyaWka

Hi everybody! (I apologize for my English - this is Google Translation from Russian).

Please vote which one you think is the most stable version for Android?

True Story:
    I have a game that was more than a year with Unity 2017.2 version and everything was seemingly fine. There were crashes and ANR, but I thought that this particular cases. In June 2018, a large number of developers felt a drop installs after a change in the Google Play ranking algorithms. Having tried all possible ways to increase the visibility of the game on Google Play, the turn came to change the version of Unity to the last. Hoping that the number of crashes and ANR will decrease, I decided to switch to Unity 2019.1.

upload_2019-7-4_22-57-31.png
    In April, I accidentally turned off the wrong base in Google Play Services - my fault. But in early June, released a version with Unity 2019.1.

upload_2019-7-4_23-41-57.png
    This is what crashes look like for the latest version.

upload_2019-7-4_23-43-39.png
    Here is the ANR for the latest version. How to diagnose them - I do not understand at all! Everyone shrugs off these bugs - and Google Play Services, and AdMob, and Firebase, and Jar Resolver.

Not fun. Instead of stability and increased visibility on Google Play, the opposite effect was obtained. Of course it's good, now Firebase Crashlytics has been added to the game and you can do diagnostics. And here, I found on the forum several topics that were very close to me - one, two, three and more...

After reading this forum thread, I realized that the most correct decision would be to make a Downgrade to Unity 2017 LTS, as Rapty advised. But everything turned out to be very, very difficult. Along with the transition to Unity 2019.1, a lot of logic was redone in the game, a lot of new content was added - for this reason it cannot be recovered from the old backups of version 2017.2. The only way is to take the project 2019.1, transfer all prefabs to the temporary scene, delete all third-party plug-ins and open the game in 2017 LTS (I did not know the other way).

Having spent a lot of nerves and a lot of days I still come to a standstill.
    At the moment I have:
    • Unity 2017.4.29 crashes stably once or twice per hour, especially at the time of building APK (infuriates pretty).
    • "Unknown shader channel count" - but the last day never seemed to appear.
    • "Metal: Fragment shader texture texture at index 1 (_ParamTex / UI / Hidden / UI-Effect-Shiny)" is also not clear where this comes from.
    • Almost all the Canvas disappear (flickering) at the time of the motion animation on both Android and iOS (everything is fine in the editor).
    Because of the latter, the game cannot be started even in testing. And something tells me that this is not all problems.

So I decided to make a post about stability in Unity games for Android.

If someone has a super recipe for such situations, I appreciate it if you write about him. Diagnose every crash in this their number is very difficult.

Thank!

Last edited: Jul 4, 2019