Search Unity

Native method not found: com.unity3d.player.UnityPlayer.nativeRestartActivityIndicator:()V

Discussion in 'Android' started by morozov1333, Aug 21, 2018.

1. AikenParker

AikenParker

Some more details from Firebase including stacktraces of other threads
    Crash UnityMain Stacktrace.png Crash Stats 1.png Crash Stats 2.png Crash Stats 3.png Crash UnityAdsCacheThread Stacktrace.png

2. Mathijs333

Mathijs333

Screenshot 2019-06-27 at 21.51.10.png Screenshot 2019-06-27 at 21.51.02.png Screenshot 2019-06-27 at 21.50.41.png Hi,

We are facing this for a long time for all our (unity) apps (from at least 2018.1). For one of them I posted the info/graphs above. For what we know;

- It is the most important reason for crashes on Android for our apps
    - Has nothing to do with IL2CPP, Android App Bundles, 32/64 Bit. We've seen this crash with mono/ilcpp 32&64 bit.
    - We are not sure if it happens on X86 devices. We did have X86 builds until recently, but not those crashes, but there probably there are not enough users using X86.
    - A high number of users on a certain day, isn't corresponding with a high number of crashes.
    - We are using 2018.4.2 and it already has been around since 2018.1. We are not sure if we've seen it before using 2018.
    - We are using some plugins, but it upgrading them doesn't make any difference.

It seems it is about the resume/returning(?) of the app. There are 6 reasons in our case to return our app or start it -> Returning from an advertisement. Starting the app after a day or so, while still active in background, sharing an image to our app, returning after going to the play store to download/install another app of ours, returning from the play store after rating and clicking a notification.

It is about 0,5% of all users. And although this doesn't seems a lot, it hurts the crashrate in the playstore badly.

Hope there is some info which could help.
    Mathijs.

AdityaMGametion likes this.
  3. Aurimas-Cernius

Aurimas-Cernius

Unity Technologies

Thanks for the details. We really struggle to reproduce it, so such kind of info is very valuable to us!

4. Mathijs333

Mathijs333

We have updated an app to test if force internal solves this error, but it doesn't in our case. At this app version I've the same 0,5% crashes (96 in total). So, if this is the solution in your case, it could be 2 different problems, or there is some other part involved, manifest???

regards,
    mt

5. homenetgames-jacek

homenetgames-jacek

If someone wonders - we have just updated today and this error is still observed on Google Console on 2018.4.3f1 build.

6. Rapty

Rapty

Downgrading to 2017.4.29f LTS solves the problem. This is a workaround if you can downgrade your project. I struggled for a few hours, but i got a medium sized project and had to remake the prefabs, maybe for larger projects it'll take longer.

Anything over 2018.3+,2019+ has the bug.

Unity devs, compare the nativerestart classes in Unity 2017.4.29f VS 2018.3+ and check what you've modified, maybe you'll figure it out once and for all! This problem is for over 1 year now and affects all unity games on android.

upload_2019-7-2_10-7-49.png

7. AikenParker

AikenParker

In addition to this crash we also have more seemingly related crashes:
    • nativeFocusChanged
      Caused by java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: No implementation found for void com.unity3d.player.UnityPlayer.nativeFocusChanged(boolean) (tried Java_com_unity3d_player_UnityPlayer_nativeFocusChanged and Java_com_unity3d_player_UnityPlayer_nativeFocusChanged__Z)
      at com.unity3d.player.UnityPlayer.nativeFocusChanged(Unknown Source)
      at com.unity3d.player.UnityPlayer.a(Unknown Source)
      at com.unity3d.player.UnityPlayer$e$1.handleMessage(Unknown Source)
      at android.os.Handler.dispatchMessage + 98(Handler.java:98)
      at android.os.Looper.loop + 154(Looper.java:154)
      at com.unity3d.player.UnityPlayer$e.run(Unknown Source)
    • nativeMuteMasterAudio
      Caused by java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: No implementation found for void com.unity3d.player.UnityPlayer.nativeMuteMasterAudio(boolean) (tried Java_com_unity3d_player_UnityPlayer_nativeMuteMasterAudio and Java_com_unity3d_player_UnityPlayer_nativeMuteMasterAudio__Z)
      at com.unity3d.player.UnityPlayer.nativeMuteMasterAudio(Unknown Source)
      at com.unity3d.player.UnityPlayer.b(Unknown Source)
      at com.unity3d.player.UnityPlayer$c.onCallStateChanged(Unknown Source)
      at android.telephony.PhoneStateListener$1.handleMessage + 329(PhoneStateListener.java:329)
      at android.os.Handler.dispatchMessage + 102(Handler.java:102)
      at android.os.Looper.loop + 154(Looper.java:154)
      at android.app.ActivityThread.main + 6351(ActivityThread.java:6351)
      at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java)
      at com.android.internal.os.ZygoteInit$MethodAndArgsCaller.run + 896(ZygoteInit.java:896)
      at com.android.internal.os.ZygoteInit.main + 786(ZygoteInit.java:786)
    • nativeRestartActivityIndicator
      Caused by java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: No implementation found for void com.unity3d.player.UnityPlayer.nativeRestartActivityIndicator() (tried Java_com_unity3d_player_UnityPlayer_nativeRestartActivityIndicator and Java_com_unity3d_player_UnityPlayer_nativeRestartActivityIndicator__)
      at com.unity3d.player.UnityPlayer.nativeRestartActivityIndicator(Unknown Source)
      at com.unity3d.player.UnityPlayer.resume + 27(Unknown Source:27)
      at com.unity3d.player.UnityPlayerActivity.onResume + 5(Unknown Source:5)
      at android.app.Instrumentation.callActivityOnResume + 1362(Instrumentation.java:1362)
      at android.app.Activity.performResume + 7432(Activity.java:7432)
      at android.app.ActivityThread.performResumeActivity + 3762(ActivityThread.java:3762)
      at android.app.ActivityThread.handleResumeActivity + 3827(ActivityThread.java:3827)
      at android.app.ActivityThread$H.handleMessage + 1760(ActivityThread.java:1760)
      at android.os.Handler.dispatchMessage + 106(Handler.java:106)
      at android.os.Looper.loop + 164(Looper.java:164)
      at android.app.ActivityThread.main + 6958(ActivityThread.java:6958)
      at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java)
      at com.android.internal.os.RuntimeInit$MethodAndArgsCaller.run + 441(RuntimeInit.java:441)
      at com.android.internal.os.ZygoteInit.main + 1408(ZygoteInit.java:1408)
    These all indicate that the Unity JNI library is not loaded at the time these native calls get invoked (presumably because the library has already been unloaded). Would be interested to know if these crashes are occurring after Application.Unload and if there's some race condition with these "Android events". In the meantime some of these in the com.unity3d.player.UnityPlayer java class would be nice:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. try {
    2.     // JNI call
    3. } catch (UnsatisfiedLinkError error) {
    4.     // Do nothing
    5. }
    On that note I'd like to see the source for com.unity3d.player.UnityPlayer rather than the de-compiled, uncommented and obfuscated bytecode that I'm looking at right now.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2019
  8. Rapty

Rapty

Yes, I've got the same crashes too... They seem to be related with the nativerestart crash...

9. Dave-Hampson

Dave-Hampson

Unity Technologies

Hello everyone.

I've just started investigating this issue and I want to see if it's possible for me to reproduce locally.

Does anyone have a combo of device / project / repro steps they could tell me so I could have a try?

10. Rapty

Rapty

I've sent you my personal project, talk with the QA in charge...

https://fogbugz.unity3d.com/default.asp?1162118_j3nco2rrttifrara -> Here's the project. I can't help with reproducing, because i don't have any of these devices, but it seems that the crash happens on Samsung phones more likely.

Any of these devices :

11. justtime

justtime

I have the same error in 2017.4.28f

Last edited: Jul 5, 2019
    triangle154 likes this.
  12. saevioapps

saevioapps

Happens to my apps as well (after upgrading to Unity version: 2019.1.7f1).

Code (CSharp):
    1. java.lang.Error: FATAL EXCEPTION [main]
    2. Unity version     : 2019.1.7f1
    3. Device model      : samsung SM-J400F
    4. Device fingerprint: samsung/j4ltejx/j4lte:9/PPR1.180610.011/J400FXXU3BSDE:user/release-keys
    5. Caused by
    6.   at com.unity3d.player.UnityPlayer.nativeRestartActivityIndicator (Native Method)
    7.   at com.unity3d.player.UnityPlayer.resume (Unknown Source:23)
    8.   at com.unity3d.player.UnityPlayerActivity.onResume (Unknown Source:5)
    9.   at android.app.Instrumentation.callActivityOnResume (Instrumentation.java:1416)
    10.   at android.app.Activity.performResume (Activity.java:7570)
    11.   at android.app.ActivityThread.performResumeActivity (ActivityThread.java:4007)
    12.   at android.app.ActivityThread.handleResumeActivity (ActivityThread.java:4047)
    13.   at android.app.servertransaction.ResumeActivityItem.execute (ResumeActivityItem.java:51)
    14.   at android.app.servertransaction.TransactionExecutor.executeLifecycleState (TransactionExecutor.java:145)
    15.   at android.app.servertransaction.TransactionExecutor.execute (TransactionExecutor.java:70)
    16.   at android.app.ActivityThread$H.handleMessage (ActivityThread.java:1955)
    17.   at android.os.Handler.dispatchMessage (Handler.java:106)
    18.   at android.os.Looper.loop (Looper.java:214)
    19.   at android.app.ActivityThread.main (ActivityThread.java:7073)
    20.   at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke (Native Method)
    21.   at com.android.internal.os.RuntimeInit$MethodAndArgsCaller.run (RuntimeInit.java:493)
    22.   at com.android.internal.os.ZygoteInit.main (ZygoteInit.java:965)

Attached Files:

13. Rapty

Rapty

I have it too, but reduced to 95%, so way better.

Downgrade back if you can or use your backup if you got one.

14. flashmandv

flashmandv

15. rahulnaik9010

rahulnaik9010

java.lang.Error: FATAL EXCEPTION [main] Unity version : 2018.4.0f1 Device model : samsung SM-J737V Device fingerprint: Verizon/j7topeltevzw/j7topeltevzw:8.0.0/R16NW/J737VVRS3ASE1:user/release-keys Caused by
    at com.unity3d.player.UnityPlayer.nativeRestartActivityIndicator (Native Method)
    at com.unity3d.player.UnityPlayer.resume (Unknown Source:27)
    at com.unity3d.player.UnityPlayerActivity.onResume (Unknown Source:5)
    at android.app.Instrumentation.callActivityOnResume (Instrumentation.java:1361)
    at android.app.Activity.performResume (Activity.java:7361)
    at android.app.ActivityThread.performResumeActivity (ActivityThread.java:3765)
    at android.app.ActivityThread.handleResumeActivity (ActivityThread.java:3830)
    at android.app.ActivityThread$H.handleMessage (ActivityThread.java:1746)
    at android.os.Handler.dispatchMessage (Handler.java:105)
    at android.os.Looper.loop (Looper.java:164)
    at android.app.ActivityThread.main (ActivityThread.java:6944)
    at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke (Native Method)
    at com.android.internal.os.Zygote$MethodAndArgsCaller.run (Zygote.java:327)
    at com.android.internal.os.ZygoteInit.main (ZygoteInit.java:1374)

One of the errors
    These are the devices in my report which give the above error:
    samsung SM-G900H
    samsung SM-G935T
    samsung SM-J737V
    samsung SM-G900V
    LENOVO Lenovo TB-7104F
    myPhone MAGNUS

16. youdk

youdk

Hi, Unity guys
    What's the progress about this issue?

We are using Unity 2018.2.15f1 and it works well. Now we added Android 64 bit support as Google play requested, our app crash on start up.

Since Google Play will stop accepting 32 bit apps, it's very urgent to us.

Detail information:
    (1) We added 64 bit support and removed 32 bit support because the size would be too big if we support both 32 bit and 64 bit.
    (2) It only crash on some specific device, my device is Sony Xperia with Android 5.1.1. It crashes every time.

Crash stack:
    --------- beginning of crash
    07-09 15:56:21.155 29890-29890/? E/AndroidRuntime: FATAL EXCEPTION: main
    Process: com.sports.real.golf.rival.online, PID: 29890
    java.lang.Error: FATAL EXCEPTION [main]
    Unity version : 2018.2.15f1
    Device model : Sony C6833
    Device fingerprint: Sony/C6833/C6833:5.1.1/14.6.A.1.199/2048234526:user/release-keys

Caused by: java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: No implementation found for void com.unity3d.player.UnityPlayer.nativeRestartActivityIndicator() (tried Java_com_unity3d_player_UnityPlayer_nativeRestartActivityIndicator and Java_com_unity3d_player_UnityPlayer_nativeRestartActivityIndicator__)
    at com.unity3d.player.UnityPlayer.nativeRestartActivityIndicator(Native Method)
    at com.unity3d.player.UnityPlayer.resume(Unknown Source)
    at com.unity3d.player.UnityPlayerActivity.onResume(Unknown Source)
    at android.app.Instrumentation.callActivityOnResume(Instrumentation.java:1257)
    at android.app.Activity.performResume(Activity.java:6076)
    at android.app.ActivityThread.performResumeActivity(ActivityThread.java:3039)
    at android.app.ActivityThread.handleResumeActivity(ActivityThread.java:3081)
    at android.app.ActivityThread.handleLaunchActivity(ActivityThread.java:2447)
    at android.app.ActivityThread.access$800(ActivityThread.java:156)
    at android.app.ActivityThread$H.handleMessage(ActivityThread.java:1351)
    at android.os.Handler.dispatchMessage(Handler.java:102)
    at android.os.Looper.loop(Looper.java:211)
    at android.app.ActivityThread.main(ActivityThread.java:5389)
    at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Native Method)
    at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:372)
    at com.android.internal.os.ZygoteInit$MethodAndArgsCaller.run(ZygoteInit.java:1020)
    at com.android.internal.os.ZygoteInit.main(ZygoteInit.java:815)

17. alexev05

alexev05

Can you describe how the crash happended?

18. youdk

youdk

(1) Export Android project from Unity
    (2) Build APK from Android studio from Android project
    (3) Install APK on phone
    (4) Press launch icon on home screen
    (5) Error dialog pop up, app crashed

19. Aurimas-Cernius

Aurimas-Cernius

Unity Technologies

And it crashed with this stack trace?
    If so, can you submit a bug with your project. This is a repro we've been looking for so long!

AikenParker likes this.
  20. Adam_Outfit7

Adam_Outfit7

So... Looks like this issue appears when a 32bit device installs a 64bit apk. Is 100% reproducible with any 32bit device. o_O

21. Rapty

Rapty

It's not that, if i build arm apk only in 2018.3+ or 2019+, it still reproduces, so it's not that.

22. cometa93

cometa93

Hello, is there an update for this issue? This really has a big impact on our Vitals which are the main focus of Google right now...

lesinski likes this.
  23. hadarhadar

hadarhadar

I have a theory this bug is related somehow to ads, I've added more ads (Admob) to my app and now I'm getting a lot more reports on this bug, maybe that will help...

24. saevioapps

saevioapps

I have the same "feeling". My app uses only one external SDK: Unity Plugin for the Google Mobile Ads SDK. I have tested my app on one of the devices that report the error, a Samsung J5, and it crashed only once, just before an interstitial ad should have opened, with no message, nothing, just back to home screen.

25. jwSammy

jwSammy

Was having the same problem fixed it by the following:

PlayerSettings > Configuration > Scripting Backend: IL2CPP
    PlayerSettings > Configuration > Target Architecture : ARMv7 (unchecked) ARM64 (checked)

26. DungDajHjep

DungDajHjep

upload_2019-7-23_14-35-32.png
    Unity 2018.4.4
    @Aurimas-Cernius , just run resolve before build if you change target Architectures

Last edited: Jul 26, 2019
  27. neozmin

neozmin

I have the same thing on application.quit() unity said it was solved on 2018.3, but in-fact it is not. I removed all application.quit calls and it reduced crashes at once.

I am working on unity 2018.4.0f1

Mathijs333 likes this.
  28. xLeo

xLeo

This issue is also happening in our Android app and yes, it also uses Google Mobile Ads sdk.
    If needed we can share the repository and the crash details, just send me a message.

29. cometa93

cometa93

Hello Unity Devs can you give us a little view on that particular situation, our vitals getting worse than ever.
    I don't think it's caused by ads, I've been using the same ads in lower unity version 2018.1.6f.1 and didn't have such an issue. Now, I'm on version 2019.1.10f1 and it's terrible in vitals.

30. neozmin

neozmin

It can be easily reproduced on samsung j2 with application.quit. You call it, the app will go fold and after that try to unfold it.

I am usin 2018.4.4 now

31. Tomas1856

Tomas1856

Unity Technologies

Currently, we still don't have 100% repro.

If you have one, please submit a bug with repro project attached

32. AikenParker

AikenParker

This is that bug that all the Unity devs roll their eyes at everytime someone comments. Not that I can repro this locally either.

Just adding a bit of extra info. I am more convinced this crash happens on startup as opposed to when quitting because my custom Firebase Crashlytics keys are not set when it happens (they get set when app is fully initialized).

33. levelappstudios

levelappstudios

Been trying to solve this bug for a long time!! I though it was something about my code or maybe some libraries, have tried with so many configurations in past months! I was getting crazy and gave up, now I see this post and I will try to help with any info I could give.

• I couldn't reproduce the crash in ANY device, I've tried in a lot of devices (about 30).
    • The only info I have about the crash is supplied by Google Play Console
    • Last version on Google Play was built with Unity 2018.4.2
    • I'm using Google Play Games for cloud saving, Google Mobile Ads for advertising and Unity Purchasing for IAP.

The crash reports in the last week, notice the difference on reports count:

The crash stack trace:

Android versions and devices suffering the crash:

This is the configuration used in the built:

If you need something more let me know and I will try to help.

34. saevioapps

saevioapps

I am also struggling to figure out this issue. I was about to test a live update without the Google Ads SDK. Did you by any chance already try this test so we can rule out the Google Ads SDK?

Thank you!

35. AikenParker

AikenParker

Also using Google Ads SDK, although it's mediated through IronSource. And also excluding x86 (damn libhoudini).

Anyway I was taking a closer look at the stacktrace of one of the related crashes and noticed this PhoneStateListener thing. Is anyone able to test receiving/ending a phone call while their app is running on an affected device, which is seemingly any 32 bit android. There might be more to it than that but hopefully it can get a repro
    crash.png

36. levelappstudios

levelappstudios

I didn’t try because it doesn’t appear any reference to the AdMob sdk in crash reports, but maybe there could be some relation with the crash...

37. PZ2100

PZ2100

You have to upgrade. Unity 2018.1.1f1 produces 32-bit applications which won't be allowed to GooglePlay since 1 August 2019. So, checkmate.

38. Matthewek

Matthewek

My game is also affected by this issue.

39. IndieFist

IndieFist

Same problem, unity 2018.3.13f1, reading all the thread to test options...

40. AikenParker

AikenParker

Ended up writing a custom plugin which extends UnityPlayerActivity just so I could add a try/catch onResume. Won't be able to deploy for a few weeks but I don't see this issue getting properly resolved for awhile anyway.

My only concern is if I should just ignore the error or safely exit the app on catch.

Code (Java):
    1. @Override
    2. public void onResume()
    3. {
    4.     try
    5.     {
    6.         super.onResume();
    7.     }
    8.     catch (UnsatisfiedLinkError e)
    9.     {
    10.         // Exit or ignore?
    11.     }
    12. }

41. Powersx

Powersx

Can you share your plugin? @AikenParker it would be so good.

42. Rapty

Rapty

Okay, I could reproduce the error on my older phone HTC one M8S.

I first built the game with "Prefer External", i had an instant crash.
    Then i build the game with "Force Internal", game launched.

Attached Files:

43. Rapty

Rapty

Now you have the repro 100% , check my above comment.

44. Tomas1856

Tomas1856

Unity Technologies

Do you have a case number, if not - please submit a bug via bug reporter with repro project attached and detailed steps.

Thank you

45. Dave-Hampson

Dave-Hampson

Unity Technologies

Hi everyone.

Just wanted to give an update for this crash based on what we know...

We still have no repeatable repro case for this crash.

I would like to emphasise that so let me say it again:

We have no repeatable repro case for this crash.

We have been trying for weeks now and failing to get one. For the people saying that they have submitted a bug report: all the reports I have seen so far do not have an repro steps, only a repro project but with a note saying it doesn't reproduce the crash for them, it's just crashes in the wild reported from Google. Feel free to correct me if you believe there is a bug number I haven't seen yet.

We had one report saying that it crashed in the Google Pre-launch report, we were able to reproduce this but tracked it down to this in the manifest:

<meta-data android:name="com.google.test.loops" android:value="1" />
    <intent-filter>
    <action android:name="com.google.intent.action.TEST_LOOP" />
    <category android:name="android.intent.category.DEFAULT" />
    <data android:mimeType="application/javascript" />
    </intent-filter>

Removing this fixes the pre-launch crash:

We do have an APK (note, APK only, not a project) which if you install to device and then switch to two other games (both Unity engine games, though I don't know if it makes a difference) you can see the error backtrace in logcat. It does not throw a dialog to the user, I believe they only see a black screen for a few seconds.
    Agonisingly it seems that the backtrace is only seen once per device, possibly never to be seen again until the device is factory reset, we aren't quite sure yet!

That's roughly where we are at the moment: we are very much needing a repeatable repro case so we can start to look into this strange bug.

46. Pratikh

Pratikh

@Dave-Hampson :
    Hi we are facing the same issue and also able to reproduce it in our end.

What we did to reproduce

1.) built abc_arm7.apk using Unity2018.2.3f1 (Scripting Backend - Mono, Android Target api-28, api compatibility - .Net Standard 2.0
    2.) built abc_x64.apk using Unity2019.1.11f1 (Scripting Backend - Mono, Android Target api-28, api compatibility - .Net Standard 2.0
    3.) First installed abc_arm7.apk waited till socket connection than triggered interstitial,banner and video ad and minimised the app.
    4.) Installed abc_x64.apk while abc_arm7.apk was minimised.
    5.) Launched from icon : Got crash. (every time)
    6.) Device restarted : Got crash (every time)
    7.) Cleared the cache and data manually from setting : This time app was running perfectly fine.

I am attaching device configuration and crash that we recorded.

Attached Files:

47. Tomas1856

Tomas1856

Unity Technologies

Can you please sumbit a bug, with steps and repro project attached?

48. homenetgames-jacek

homenetgames-jacek

@Pratikh I tried to reproduce it but didn't happened. Maybe it depends on hardware / used ads plugin.
    If you are able to reproduce, please report it as Unity guys advised.

49. Pratikh

Pratikh

50. Pratikh

Pratikh

Thats true we are using ad sdk and it seems crash is happening after loading or showing ad in Unity2018.2-buid and than updating app with Unity2019-build.