Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. If you have experience with import & exporting custom (.unitypackage) packages, please help complete a survey (open until May 15, 2024).
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Sprite packer is constantly repacking

Discussion in 'Unity 5 Pre-order Beta' started by any_user, Feb 25, 2015.

1. any_user

any_user

I have extensive sprite atlases which are packed with the sprite packer. Every time I change the platform or architecture, they are repacked, even when I change from Linux x86 to x86_64 and so on. Is this necessary? They are all 16bit textures on all platforms. I assumed they are only repacked when actually changing the format.

Especially when building all the build variations for Steam, it takes 10-15 min per platform to rebuild the atlases, even when I only change a line in a script. I'm using the cache server and it doesn't really help (are sprite atlases actually cached?).

2. Ostwind

Ostwind

Change it in the project editor options?

3. any_user

any_user

I'm not talking about repacking when going into play mode, that's not happening, and I know the setting you mentioned. But even with "always enabled" they only get repacked when something has changed.

That's also what I expect when changing the platform: that it only repacks when there's actually a change in the sprites or the texture format.

For Steam I have to create three different platform builds (mac/win/linux) which takes forever because it rebuilds the atlases after each platform change, no matter if there's actually a change in it. It looks a bit like it's not tracking changes correctly, it just forces to rebuild it anyway. Right now, to create all three builds, it takes 45 minutes, while without rebuilding the atlases it would take slightly more than 5 minutes.

Or maybe I'm missing something? I'm using the cache server, but sprite atlases don't seem to be cached.

4. Ostwind

Ostwind

Ok that sounds like a bug or oversight on the cache server features. Could be also thats it's not a support feature of it since atlases are more complex asset or it to handle (not just simple import)