Search Unity

Template Space Combat Kit (VSXGames) [RELEASED]

Discussion in 'Tools In Progress' started by Billy4184, Jul 14, 2015.

1. antsonthetree

antsonthetree

Hello - I just downloaded the latest build from today 4/21 and using Unity 2020.3.4f1. When I start any of the demos I cannot control any ships. Moving the mouse or keyboard does nothing. Pressing ESC does not open the menu. I have ensured that Active Input Handling is set to Both. I also tried switching form .net standard to 4.x but no change.

UPDATE: After restarting Unity it is working now.
    And the new ships and cockpits are great thanks!

Last edited: Apr 21, 2021
    Billy4184 likes this.
  2. Billy4184

Billy4184

Yes this appears to be a problem with the input system, but can be fixed by restarting after download.

3. Billy4184

Billy4184

Hey Ryan, did you convert the textures manually or just set RGB 24-bit in the import settings? The latter doesn't seem to work for me in Unity 2020.3.1f1. Might have to end up formatting them in another program!

4. Ender31415

Ender31415

I had to convert the textures manually, otherwise the grey scale to alpha conversion during import would not work.

-Ryan

Billy4184 likes this.
  5. Billy4184

Billy4184

Hey guys, I've just send an update to the store with a fix for the black texture issue, a fix for the input problems, and a bunch of other small fixes, polishes, and additions!

The Spring Sale is almost over, now's your chance to grab your copy of the Space Combat Kit at 50% OFF and start building your space game today!

Cockpit.jpg

JFI66 and antsonthetree like this.
  6. Eraile

Eraile

Hello Billy!
    First of all, thanks for this wondeful update, lots of cool stuff! New models, movement of the spacefighter with mouse, RETURN OF THE FPS CAMERA, etc etc.

Thank you!
    Just to make sure, i triedj ust now to import the project in a Lightweight RP project and it didn't work.

Is your asset (still ?) supposed to worik with URP/LWRP & HDRP ?
    Thanks!

Also, do you have any plan to make your system multiplayer ready?

7. Billy4184

Billy4184

Glad you're liking it! The asset does not currently support URP, but the only things are a few shaders for the hologram, energy shield, enter/exit effect etc. The demo also uses the layered cameras that URP doesn't support.

I am looking into a URP integration. In the meantime, here's a setup for the cameras that another user was successful with: https://forum.unity.com/threads/space-combat-kit-vsxgames-released.340962/page-31#post-6549607

I have a Shader Graph replacement for the energy shield, PM me your invoice number and I'll send it to you. The other shaders (none of which are essential for the kit's functionality) don't have a Shader Graph replacement yet.

Right now I have no plans for multiplayer.

8. Eraile

Eraile

Ok fine! No, no worries, i'll manage that on my own if i need ^^
    I had my own system some months ago but basically, with the few times i have available, i prefer to switch my project to your asset as you did great work (and i need to focus on lots of details to finish mine) & i'll integrate Multiplayer in it.

Do you have a problem if i release a multiplayer integration asset on the asset store? (if that ever happens!)

9. Billy4184

Billy4184

I'll get back to you on that very soon!

10. Billy4184

Billy4184

You're welcome to create a multiplayer package for SCK and sell it on the store if you like, as long as it's completely your package and you handle all the customer support and compatibility with updates.

11. Billy4184

Billy4184

Hey guys, I've just sent a new update off to the store with a couple of cool things you might like! Check out this video for more:

12. aggaton

aggaton

Hi,

I bought and imported this in a brand new project, however you assets keeps throwing these errors. Apparently your package is incompatible with a number of others, like the Space Sim Framework and probably others. Any way to use these in the same project? Or will they always be mutually exclusive?

Assets\SpaceCombatKit\SpaceCombat\Scripts\CameraControllers\CapitalShipCameraController.cs(38,33): error CS0115: 'CapitalShipCameraController.CameraControllerLateUpdate()': no suitable method found to override

Assets\SpaceCombatKit\SpaceCombat\Scripts\CameraControllers\CapitalShipCameraController.cs(59,33): error CS0115: 'CapitalShipCameraController.CameraControllerUpdate()': no suitable method found to override

Assets\SpaceCombatKit\SpaceCombat\Scripts\CameraControllers\SpaceFighterCameraController.cs(46,33): error CS0115: 'SpaceFighterCameraController.CameraControllerFixedUpdate()': no suitable method found to override

Assets\SpaceCombatKit\SpaceCombat\Scripts\CameraControllers\SpaceFighterCameraController.cs(77,33): error CS0115: 'SpaceFighterCameraController.CameraControllerUpdate()': no suitable method found to override

Assets\SpaceCombatKit\Systems\Basics\CameraSystem\Scripts\UVC\VehicleCameraController.cs(25,30): error CS0115: 'VehicleCameraController.SetCamera(CameraEntity)': no suitable method found to override

Assets\SpaceCombatKit\Systems\Basics\CameraSystem\Scripts\UVC\VehicleCameraController.cs(36,33): error CS0115: 'VehicleCameraController.Initialize(CameraTarget)': no suitable method found to override

Last edited: Jul 25, 2021
  13. Billy4184

Billy4184

Hi, seems like you have another CameraController script in your project. You can add to the top of the scripts that produce errors this code:

Code (CSharp):
    1. using CameraController = VSX.CameraSystem.CameraController;

14. aggaton

aggaton

Thanks, it guided me towards a solution. Adding above line did not seem to help for some reason, however if I prefix the class inheritance part with VSX.CameraSystem. it works

Code (CSharp):
    1. public class VehicleCameraController : VSX.CameraSystem.CameraController
    In case somebody else runs into this.
    I like the ship controls much better in this package, so I am happy that I can now combine them and take the best from each.

15. aggaton

aggaton

Not sure if it is the right place for this question,. I have been looking over the demo scenes supplied in this package. Where does the teal background with the "stars" getting added to the background?

16. Billy4184

Billy4184

Lighting tab, Skybox material. Have you checked out Unity's Learn section yet? Good way to answer a lot of core questions. https://learn.unity.com/

17. aggaton

aggaton

Of course!, I completely sweated that out. Thanks a bunch.

18. aggaton

aggaton

@Billy4184 I have added your package, really like the smooth controls. I have been experimenting a bit trying to land a ship on a planet and exiting. I have gotten as far as creating a planet with terrain and I can get the ship to land on it after a little bit of rewrite to the code that detect if there is something there and enables the landing mode, using a raycast to see if it collides with my terrain. The ship lands fine and aligns itself properly with the planet surface. however when I exit with the FirstCharacter prefab from your kit, the view flips to the side and movement is near impossible. It is like it doesn't know what is up and down and controls are all over the place. My guess is that somehow directions needs to be realigned with what is considered up/down left/right on the surface of the planet (when I jump the character moves forward then back for instance). The funny thing is if I enter back into the ship everything is aligned ok again and I can take off and fly around and etc, it's just the first person thingiemabob that appears to be broken. Another thing I noticed is that the mouse control changes to spinning the horizon when out of ship, i.e. the horizon rolls, instead of turning along the horizon left or right. Any idea how to fix that and in what script/setting?

upload_2021-7-31_18-48-36.png

Last edited: Aug 1, 2021
  19. aggaton

aggaton

So I bought your mech combat kit as well and tried exchanging the first person shooter with the simple mech prefab. and have gotten as far as being able to enter and exit the ship, still having issue with controls, since I can only get it to jump, wasd keys don't seem to work in the mech. When jumping and I hit something else with a rigid body, the mech starts sliding, I was able to jump and slide into the teleporter and managed to enter the ship, and controls work again, and I can leave to the mech, however if it was in motion before entering the ship it has a sliding motion again. I was able to take the mech to the planet though and when I landed and exited, the view was as expected, not tilted like with first person shooter! However it kept sliding sideways and fell off the planet, seems like gravity is not pulling as expected, or maybe it is the same issue I had on the platform, that the mech kept the motion from before when it was put on the playfield. How do I reset the impulse or velocity or whatever it is, should your kit not do this?

20. aggaton

aggaton

Turns out I needed to add the Floor to the Water level, apparently that is what the mech is sensitive to, it's now moving around happily and I can enter/exit with the ship on the platform, awesome! However the mech is still sliding sideways off the planet, so gravity is not working properly to pull the mech down.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2021
  21. aggaton

aggaton

@Billy4184 After hours of debugging I finally think I figured out what seems to be the main problem. When exiting the ship, the mech does a CastSphere to see if it is grounded. Unfortunately what it seems to be getting is one of the mechs legs so comes back as non-grounded. I changed that to using CastSphereAll instead like below. This is somewhat of a dirty hack but seems to be working, the mech is skating a bit when it exits, but eventually it seems catch a grip and I can walk on the planet! I am putting the code here. It probably needs to be heavily modified to be more generic using groundMask instead of colliders, checking if something is directly under too, etc.

Code (CSharp):
    1.         // Check if the character is grounded
    2.         public float sphereCastStartOffset = 1;
    3.         protected virtual void CheckIsGrounded()
    4.         {
    5.             // Prepare the sphere cast parameters
    6.             RaycastHit[] hit;
    7.             Vector3 sphereCastStartPos = m_Rigidbody.position;
    8.             float capsuleColliderOffset = capsuleCollider.center.y - (capsuleCollider.height / 2);
    10.             Vector3 startingPos = sphereCastStartPos + Vector3.up * (capsuleCollider.radius + capsuleColliderOffset + sphereCastStartOffset);
    11.             float castDistance = sphereCastStartOffset + currentGroundCheckDistance;
    13.             Ray ray = new Ray(transform.position, -transform.up);
    14.             // Do a spherecast
    15.             hit = Physics.SphereCastAll (startingPos, capsuleCollider.radius, -Vector3.up, castDistance + capsuleCollider.radius);
    16.             foreach (RaycastHit q in hit) {
    17.                 GameObject other  = q.collider.gameObject;
    18.                 GameObject otherParent = other.transform.parent.gameObject;
    19.                 if (otherParent.tag == "Surface") {
    20.                     // Find the ground contact position and snap the capsule collider onto it.
    21.                     groundNormal = Vector3.ProjectOnPlane(q.normal, transform.right).normalized;
    23.                     groundedPosition = startingPos - Vector3.up * q.distance - (Vector3.up * capsuleCollider.radius) - Vector3.up * capsuleColliderOffset;   // hit.distance returns the amount the sphere travelled before hitting something
    24.                     SetGrounded(true);
    25.                     break;
    26.                 } else {
    27.                     if (grounded)
    28.                     {
    29.                         SetGrounded(false);
    30.                      }
    31.                 }
    32.             }
    33.         }

22. aggaton

aggaton

upload_2021-8-1_20-2-7.png

23. aggaton

aggaton

@Billy4184 Great package so far, but have a question I hope you can answer. I am trying make an auto pilot/docking routine. I can get it to steer and move towards various waypoints at max speeds. Is there a good way to set the speed of the approach (throttle?), when I am getting closer to an object (like a space station) I like to slow down a bit. I am utilizing the existing SpaceshipMoveToPositionBehavior routine as base.
    edit: Am I right to assume I can call something like this
    Code (CSharp):
    1. engines.SetMovementInputs(new Vector3(0, 0, thr));
    to set the speed?

Last edited: Aug 10, 2021
  24. g4borg

g4borg

I am still reading into the Code of SCK while playing around with it, in a brand new project.
    I try to rework/rewrite one of my existing projects trying to use the VSX Codebase and see where it goes.
    So far I am enjoying most of the Layering, and documenting myself through the differences in solutions. Some stuff is clearly already a lot cleaner than what I had, especially since it is also better documented, while other things I will probably adapt in an interaction layer to fuse my own existing controllers, which have a little bit of a different philosophy about the camera (my code already covers a lot that SCK has, but much less presentable and configurable)

One thing I did however was define an Assembly in SCK to keep the code separated better, and realized, I had to fight a bit with the typical "two worlds collide" problem of Unity Code: linked setups in unity prefabs vs. declarative code linking; and it broke on one specific place: LinkableVariables.cs.

The problem I encountered was, that LinkableVariables in the Radar system seems to have defined some stuff somewhere in some prefabs I did not find yet. These definitions save the Assemblyname of the variables as string, of course including the standard "Assembly-CSharp" as fully qualified assembly name.

"VSX.UniversalVehicleCombat.HealthType, Assembly-CSharp, Version=0.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null"

For now, as all my code is in custom assemblies, a dirty fix hack for me in LinkableVariables.cs was:
    Code (CSharp):
    1.         public void InitializeLinkDelegate()
    2.         {
    4.             if (!isLinkedVariable) return;
    6.             // hack for assembly reference
    7.             if (numArgs == 1 && arg0Type.Length > 0 && arg0Type.Contains("Assembly-CSharp"))
    8.             {
    9.                 arg0Type = arg0Type.Replace("Assembly-CSharp", "VSX_SpaceCombatKit");
    10.             }
    11. ...
    basicly rewriting the string into my own Assembly name. otherwise the Assembly worked fine (after linking in UnityEngine.InputSystem and Unity.TextMeshPro as requirements)
    However I would still be interested if I can solve this more cleanly, as I plan not to touch the VSX Codebase as much as possible so I don't have to change it each time I upgrade. Maybe just a hint where I find the definitions, so I can rewire them maybe?

Another thing I noticed was, that some Audio Listeners (Target Locked Audio, Target Locking Audio) are partly offset by random numbers, which leads to the prefab of a spaceship (or mech in the MCK) to be off center when you select it. Is that on purpose? Or can I set them 0,0,0 without fear?

Otherwise congrats @Billy4184 to this awesome asset. It may save me tons of time to concentrate on some bigger design pictures, even if I decide to work further with my own controllers/systems, reading this code teached me a lot so far.

25. Ahmadounity

Ahmadounity

I want to use mobile controls in space combat kit, but I am unable to understand as I am new to unity, Kindly guide me.

26. Billy4184

Billy4184

Hey @aggaton, very sorry for the late reply! Looks like I missed a notification somewhere and then I don't get sent any more no matter whether there are new comments here.

Remember you can always contact me through the support channels.

Good to see you got the first problem fixed. On the Rigidbody Character Controller (for the Mech kit) you can see the ground layer is set to Water (I used this as it's a default layer for Unity so I don't have to modify your project settings for the demo). You can set this to whatever other layer you want the mech to be able to walk on.

For the problem of the ground check finding one of the mech colliders, the only way this can happen is if the mech collider is set to the ground layer (in this case 'Water'). The ground layer should only be used for the ground and not for any part of the mech.

27. Billy4184

Billy4184

You can set the movement inputs as a function of the distance. For example, make the throttle go from full throttle at 50 units distance down to 0 at 0 units distance:

Code (CSharp):
    1. float distance = Vector3.Distance(ship, destination);
    2. float threshold = 50;
    3. engines.SetMovementInputs(new Vector3(0, 0, Mathf.Clamp(distance / threshold, 0, 1)));

28. Billy4184

Billy4184

Hm the Linkable Variable basically saves a method as a delegate so that it can be called as a variable. It does this by saving the method name when you set up the variable in the editor, and creating the delegate from the method name when the scene starts.

In the Linkable Variable Drawer component is where all this is set up.

I'll look into a fix for you but I'm not exactly sure what to do about this yet.

29. Billy4184

Billy4184

Hi, there was an issue with the mobile controls scene, please try this scene and let me know if you have any questions.

There is a bug with the mobile controls where the automatic weapon fire does not work, I have to make some adjustments to the input code to stop this, and I will be making an update when I've done this.

Attached Files:

30. Zax2015

Zax2015

Hi, first of all LOVE the asset! Just in the learning phase of this asset so pardon my lack of knowledge. I'm making a clean start up scene. I have the vehicle set up, the level setup with Sun, Player Spawn and asteroid spawn. All of which are working perfectly. The problem I am running into is any time I add an object to the scene like a simple rock prefab, as I try to fly towards it the object jumps further away from my player ship. The asteroids from the spawner do not do that. So what am I missing? Just for kicks I tried tagging the rock as an asteroid but that did not work either. I tried adding other prefabs like a station I built. But same thing. Object jumps away from player as play ship gets close to object. Is there a tag or label to keep this from happening? Or am I missing something? I thought maybe it might have something to do with the "Floating Origin" system but cannot find where that would affect any object I put in scene?? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

31. Billy4184

Billy4184

Glad you like it!

This is the floating origin system, which keeps the player near the center of the scene because once you go around 5000 units away from the center, floating point precision problems make the camera get shaky.

Basically, you just need to add a Floating Origin Object component to your asteroid (or the parent of your asteroid field).

More details here: https://universal-vehicle-combat-do...com/tutorials-1/shared/floating-origin-system

32. Zax2015

Zax2015

Perfect solution and thank you so much for such a fast reply!!

Billy4184 likes this.
  33. Zax2015

Zax2015

Hey Billy I was wondering if you could explain more (maybe anther of your awesome tutorials) about how to add weapons to the loadout system. Its very cool. I figured out how to make a new weapon using the Unity plug in menu. It appeared to work pretty good and I built my first constant beam mining laser on a turret mount! WOOHOO for making new weapons easy!! Now I just want to use the load out scene to add that bad boy to my ship. I intend on going on a massive weapon building spree lol. So I want to be able to add them all to the load out please and thank you.

I am guessing here but perhaps I need to drop the new weapon in the player item manager prefab to make it show up on the load out screen? Or am I missing something else? Thanks in advance for all your help.

PS: I used the damageable scripts to make a loot dropping asteroid! We got mining in the game heehee! The way you set up the scripts to be so easily worked with in the inspector is awesome.

34. Zax2015

Zax2015

UPDATE: Well I got the new weapon to at least mount up by adding it to the ships "Default Module Mounts" (For those looking for it you need to open the ships Prefab to find the module mount) I put it first in the list so when my new scene loads the ship loads the new Mining Laser. However (even If I add a sprite) the HUD sees it as a beam weapon 2 so it displays that on screen. Id like to dig into that too and make it show I have a special weapon there. I am admittedly not the best coder but I think I can figure out how to call the function in a script in game to load it on the fly. But what I would really like to do is figure a way like I said above to be able to add the new weapon to the loadout scene so I can change weapons in there with ease. I like that feature if I can figure out how to use it lol. I tried loading it into the "Player Item Manager" as a new weapon but it still does not show up in the load out menu. Anyways just thought Id update you on my progress. Thanks again for your help.

35. Billy4184

Billy4184

Hey, glad you're enjoying using the kit!

I didn't quite understand what you meant by this:

If the wrong sprite is showing, make sure the sprite index on the HUD weapon info script is the same as the index of the sprite in the list on the module.

To make the weapon show up on the list of modules in the loadout menu, make sure the module type you set on its Module component matches the module type(s) that the module mount can load.

36. Zax2015

Zax2015

HUD weapon Info script was the issue with the sprite thanks.
    And yes it was the module type not set. The weapon wizard leaves this one blank so that fixed it.
    So just in case others were confused I posted a few pics showing the steps to add weapons to Loadout scene.

1.) Make weapon using wizard.
    2.) Add weapon to the "Player Item Manager" Script found here:
    Weapmount2.jpg

3.) Open new weapon and in "Module" script assign it a Label and sprite (This will show up on menu of loadout) and a WEAPON TYPE (This is the step I forgot above. Thanks Billy) as shown below:
    Weapmount3.jpg

4.) Open Loadout scene and you should see your new weapon ready to load.
    Weapmount4.jpg

Of course you may have to tweak positioning and such but this was easier than I thought it was originally. But thats only because Billy is so smart lol.

Once again great stuff man! This will make a perfect loadout screen to change weapons in game. Dress up the hangar background and bam easy weapons loading! This Kit is just packed full of game mechanics that actually works! Sorry for the long winded posts. But hoping that perhaps this helps other people working on the same things.

Cheers,
    Zax

Billy4184 likes this.
  37. firstwizard007

firstwizard007

This is very easy to do using nakama

38. OurManFlint

OurManFlint

Hello. Just purchased this today, downloaded, and am trying to launch the demos. There are compiler errors. 'SceneManager' does not contain a definition for 'LoadScene'. The only other place a 'LoadScene' method exists is in 'SceneLoader' but SceneLoader just calls LoadScene() on SceneManager, which doesn't exist. SceneManager also doesn't contain a definition for 'sceneUnloaded', which I presume is an event. Looks like a lot of code in SceneManager got left out. Is there a fix or an update somewhere?

39. OurManFlint

OurManFlint

I got that to work now - I just had other stuff in my project. So, started with a clean project and I got the examples to run. However, now it does not pick up my mouse movement. After reading some of the other posts, I restarted to see if that would make it work but it doesn't.

40. Billy4184

Billy4184

What do you mean by not picking up your mouse movement?

In the demos, the Game State Manager locks and hides the cursor, but the reticle should move and control the ship.

41. OurManFlint

OurManFlint

I mean the ship will not move when I move the mouse. I found the inspector controls and made sure mouse steering was enabled, but still it doesn't move. Only the arrow keys will steer the ship.

42. Billy4184

Billy4184

Is your project set to use Unity's Input System in the player settings?

Do you have a controller connected?

43. OurManFlint

OurManFlint

Yes, the project is set to use the Input System.
    I did have a controller connected, so I decided to disconnect it and now the mouse works. The keyboard controls work when the controller is plugged in. Is it expected behavior for the mouse not to work with the controller plugged in?

44. Billy4184

Billy4184

Yes, the gamepad and mouse use different system of movement: the gamepad locks the cursor at the center and moves the ship directly, while the mouse moves the cursor and the ship follows the cursor.

45. frankadimcosta

frankadimcosta

Made using SCK ! TNX !

Billy4184 and JFI66 like this.
  46. Billy4184

Billy4184

Very cool!

frankadimcosta and JFI66 like this.
  47. frankadimcosta

frankadimcosta

I'd like to upgrade from SCK to SCK 2. Will be it difficult ?

Last edited: Nov 20, 2021
  48. Billy4184

Billy4184

I'll let you know when it's closer to ready.

frankadimcosta likes this.
  49. Dante20011

Dante20011

Is there any way to switch between input managers? I added the SCK to an already made project and a lot of stuff is not working with the new input package. Should I remake manually the controller part of the SCK?

Edit: Nevermind, solved it by going to the project settings and stablishing I want to use both input managers

Last edited: Dec 15, 2021
    Billy4184 likes this.
  50. Dante20011

Dante20011

New question! Sorry for bothering. Is there any way to change gravity when the user lands upside down? I mean, i can think of ways to solve this but wanted to know if the kit provided with something pre-built. Thanks in advance!!