Search Unity

1. Looking for a job or to hire someone for a project? Check out the re-opened job forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice

Space Combat Kit (VSXGames) [RELEASED]

Discussion in 'Works In Progress' started by Billy4184, Jul 14, 2015.

1. Billy4184

Billy4184

The massive new update to the Space Combat Kit is live on the store, now's the time to get your space game started!

LoadoutShips.png

Basic.png

Levels.png

mccorkle and JFI66 like this.
  2. mccorkle

mccorkle

Hey William -- loving the update. I hadn't played with SCK since when I first purchased it with the sci-fi sale, and this update is awesome!

Couple of real quick questions:

Do you have any documentation on how to get SCK to work well with URP? After I upgrade via Unity's built in "Upgrade Project Materials" and try to run the demos, my screen is a solid blue and I can't see the in game graphics.
    and sck_maindemo is also all blue.png

Should my project be built with new input or old input system (or both) to be able to use all the demo scenes?
    * It looks like the MainDemo uses the new one, and CapitalShipDemo uses the old one
    * but the asset forces me over to the new one on import so I manually had to switch to "both" input systems to be able to run both demos.
    * also, I saw your integration into rewired over in discord -- Should I just be using that?

Can I remove the built in 1.0.54 version of TextMeshPro from
    Assets/SpaceCombatKit/Unsorted/PackageDependencies/TextMesh Pro
    and let Unity import the most recent TMP?

3. Billy4184

Billy4184

@mccorkle glad you're enjoying the update!

1. The project currently uses camera layering, which is not supported in URP. I will make a thorough guide for how to set this up soon, but a user kindly posted this camera setup on the Discord if that helps.

Besides that, there are a couple of custom shaders such as the hologram and shield shaders which I will have to recreate in shader graph, but nothing that will stop you from using the kit.

2. At the moment the capital ship demo doesn't have Input System set up. This will be fixed very soon.

3. Using Rewired is up to you, it's not needed but it's certainly a good asset.

4. Deleting/reimporting TMPro should work, but back up your project just in case to prevent any hiccups from getting in your way.

JFI66 likes this.
  4. mccorkle

mccorkle

#1 -- Awesome! Thanks for that camera setup. I'll try that out now.

#2 -- For the cap ship demo, as long as I set my project to "Active InputHandling" of "Both" then it works as designed :)
    upload_2020-11-22_11-56-15.png

#3 -- I'll skip using rewired for now -- though I'm reading it's description and it does sound like it is well worth the price. Maybe if I add single-screen-multiplayer, as I hear dealing with multi-joystick is a nightmare with Unity.

#4 -- I already did what you suggested above and it worked almost 99% out of the box -- but the menu scene didn't know what font to use, so after importing the unity TMP asset, I just went back into those button inspectors and set them to use the default font.

I'll let you know in a bit if that camera setup solves all my URP problems.

Billy4184 likes this.
  5. alloplastic

alloplastic

Similar question: I'm using HDRP and considering using this asset. The above looks like good guidance for working through the camera issues. My only question relates to the number of custom shaders. I could probably infer this from the package contents, but they're not showing up in the store.

I can live without the shaders mentioned so far:

* holograms of enemies/targets
    * shield effects

Is any other major feature dependent on a custom shader? For my needs, mainly I'm thinking about the radar.

6. Billy4184

Billy4184

Hi! The 3D radar blue sphere effect uses a subshader of the hologram shader, so it won't work in HDRP, but this in no way affects any of the 3D radar or target box functionality - everything is all sprites and standard Unity UI stuff.

There's a cylindrical effect shader used in one of the demos that represents where the player can enter or exit a ship, but again it's not necessary at all for the functionality to work and you can replace with whatever you like.

That's all there is that'll be affected by HDRP.

Also, the multiple camera setup is not a necessity, I have set it up that way only because I wanted the UI to be affected by FOV in cockpit view but not in chase view. Nothing requires it to be that way.

7. alloplastic

alloplastic

Excellent. Thanks for the quick reply. Sounds like the few config steps are a small price to pay for the amount of time this kit will likely save me. I think I'll dive in and see how it goes. :)

Billy4184 likes this.
  8. Billy4184

Billy4184

I'll help you sort out any issues.

9. Billy4184

Billy4184

Hey everyone, new tutorial video showing everything about how to integrate your character controller with the Space Combat Kit, and easily jump in and out of your ship!

JFI66 likes this.
  10. Billy4184

Billy4184

JFI66 likes this.
  11. Billy4184

Billy4184

Hey everyone, I've added a new tutorial video showing how to add rumbles/shakes to give your game that extra punch!

If you haven't already, grab your copy of the Space Combat Kit at 50% off! Sale will be ending in only a few days, don't miss out!

12. Billy4184

Billy4184

Hey everyone, check out this new shield damage shader I've been working on! Let me know what you think!

By the way, if you haven't already, grab your copy of the Space Combat Kit at 50% off! Sale will be ending in only a couple of days, don't miss out!

JFI66 likes this.
  13. Billy4184

Billy4184

Hey everyone, check out this overview of the new energy shield, giving you tons more customization for visual damage effects in your game!

By the way, if you haven't already, grab your copy of the Space Combat Kit at 50% off! Sale is almost over.

gearedgeek, mccorkle and JFI66 like this.
  14. wolvewilson

wolvewilson

hi! where can i play a demo of the space combat kit?

15. Billy4184

Billy4184

wolvewilson likes this.
  16. wolvewilson

wolvewilson

thks a lot!!! i´ll test

17. Altair12121

Altair12121

Billy4184 likes this.
  18. Billy4184

Billy4184

19. Hungry-Lion

Hungry-Lion

Hello and have a nice new year!

So I had SCK but also got Vehicle combat radar recently cause I built my own controllers and stuff (prefer to understand what I am doing) but now I want to build my own radar system and I want to start by yours.

1st the 3d radar(orb in the center) is purple and its shader won't update to URP(using unity 2019.4 LTS), I can't find a second camera in your demo scene so it works diferently from what I am used to make?

2nd How do you define your lock on zone? Can I make it smaller or larger? Can I UI define it like a circle or a square in the middle? Where only if the enemy is within that circle/square then you can lock them with a missile/whatever.

20. Billy4184

Billy4184

Hi! If you have SCK, the radar system can be used separately, and is more developed than Vehicle Combat Radar. So I recommend using that instead.

There isn't a URP update for SCK right now. The radar sphere shader and target hologram shader need to be recreated in Shader Graph (the kit doesn't require either of them to work) and the layered camera setup will have to be set up differently, see my post above.

The lock zone is circular (defined by an angle from the forward axis) which is set on the TargetLocker component, which can be found on the MissileWeapon prefab. Right now there's no way of defining that shape, but you can do it by getting a reference to the following camera, getting the viewport coordinates of the target position, and checking if it's inside a specific Rect.

The UI doesn't adapt to the locking angle, that's something you'll have to set up by hand.

Hungry-Lion and JFI66 like this.
  21. antsonthetree

antsonthetree

Couple of questions:
    1. What happened to the cockpit view? I can't seem to find it in the fighter demo.
    2. Did you ever do a newtonian flight model? If so how can I enable that?

Thanks!
    Jake

22. Billy4184

Billy4184

Hi Jake,

I just don't have a good cockpit model right now. But all you have to do is add a new camera view for interior, it's very straightforward.

As for the Newtonian flight model, can you describe exactly what you want to be able to do?

23. antsonthetree

antsonthetree

@Billy4184 Hey man thanks for the fast response on the Vehicle Camera. I will give that a shot today. As for the newtonian stuff no worries. I realized it's all rigidbody so I can just tweak the drag settings and get what I want.

JFI66 and Billy4184 like this.
  24. antsonthetree

antsonthetree

Question - when I increase the speed of my ship a lot then it zooms out way in front of the camera. I've looked all over and cannot find a setting that keeps the camera close to my very fast ship. Where do I change this?

25. Billy4184

Billy4184

You would adjust the settings on the CameraViewTarget for the exterior view. This is found in the hierarchy of the ship, under CameraViewTargets.

If your ship is warping, I would suggest using the Field Of View of the camera to create the sensation of speed.

antsonthetree likes this.
  26. Dante20011

Dante20011

Is there any easy way to heal the shields after they're destroyed? I've been using the following to heal a ship completely
    Code (CSharp):
    2.             List<HealthGenerator> lModules = new List<HealthGenerator>(vehicle.GetComponentsInChildren<HealthGenerator>());
    4. foreach (HealthGenerator module in lModules)
    5.             {
    6.                 module.SetModuleState(ModuleState.Activated);
    7.                 module.Heal(new List<float>() { 999999999999, 999999999999 }, module.transform.up, vehicle.Agent);
    8.                 module.SetModuleState(ModuleState.Activated);
    9.             }
    I've also tried with

Code (CSharp):
    2.            List<HealthGenerator> lModules = new List<HealthGenerator>(vehicle.GetComponentsInChildren<HealthGenerator>());
    4. foreach (HealthGenerator module in lModules)
    5.             {
    6.                 module.SetHealth(1);
    7.                 module.AddHealth(999999);
    8.             }
    but the behavior is erratic after that (shield fixture collider never go away even after reaching 0hp)

Edit: I had a bug somewhere else, I left it like this!

Code (CSharp):
    1.             foreach (HealthGenerator module in lModules)
    2.             {
    3.                 module.SetHealth(1);
    4.                 module.AddHealth(999999);
    5.             }
    7.             List<Health> lHealthFixtureModules = new List<Health>(vehicle.GetComponentsInChildren<Health>());
    8.             foreach (Health module in lHealthFixtureModules)
    9.             {
    10.                 module.ResetSubsystem();
    11.             }

Last edited: Feb 27, 2021 at 6:57 PM
  27. Billy4184

Billy4184

That looks like a quite old version. Is it possible to update to the latest one?

unityunity