Search Unity

Template Space Combat Kit (VSXGames) [RELEASED]

Discussion in 'Tools In Progress' started by Billy4184, Jul 14, 2015.

1. Billy4184

Billy4184

The massive new update to the Space Combat Kit is live on the store, now's the time to get your space game started!

LoadoutShips.png

Basic.png

Levels.png

BetaMark and JFI66 like this.
  2. BetaMark

BetaMark

Hey William -- loving the update. I hadn't played with SCK since when I first purchased it with the sci-fi sale, and this update is awesome!

Couple of real quick questions:

Do you have any documentation on how to get SCK to work well with URP? After I upgrade via Unity's built in "Upgrade Project Materials" and try to run the demos, my screen is a solid blue and I can't see the in game graphics.
    and sck_maindemo is also all blue.png

Should my project be built with new input or old input system (or both) to be able to use all the demo scenes?
    * It looks like the MainDemo uses the new one, and CapitalShipDemo uses the old one
    * but the asset forces me over to the new one on import so I manually had to switch to "both" input systems to be able to run both demos.
    * also, I saw your integration into rewired over in discord -- Should I just be using that?

Can I remove the built in 1.0.54 version of TextMeshPro from
    Assets/SpaceCombatKit/Unsorted/PackageDependencies/TextMesh Pro
    and let Unity import the most recent TMP?

3. Billy4184

Billy4184

@mccorkle glad you're enjoying the update!

1. The project currently uses camera layering, which is not supported in URP. I will make a thorough guide for how to set this up soon, but a user kindly posted this camera setup on the Discord if that helps.

Besides that, there are a couple of custom shaders such as the hologram and shield shaders which I will have to recreate in shader graph, but nothing that will stop you from using the kit.

2. At the moment the capital ship demo doesn't have Input System set up. This will be fixed very soon.

3. Using Rewired is up to you, it's not needed but it's certainly a good asset.

4. Deleting/reimporting TMPro should work, but back up your project just in case to prevent any hiccups from getting in your way.

JFI66 likes this.
  4. BetaMark

BetaMark

#1 -- Awesome! Thanks for that camera setup. I'll try that out now.

#2 -- For the cap ship demo, as long as I set my project to "Active InputHandling" of "Both" then it works as designed :)
    upload_2020-11-22_11-56-15.png

#3 -- I'll skip using rewired for now -- though I'm reading it's description and it does sound like it is well worth the price. Maybe if I add single-screen-multiplayer, as I hear dealing with multi-joystick is a nightmare with Unity.

#4 -- I already did what you suggested above and it worked almost 99% out of the box -- but the menu scene didn't know what font to use, so after importing the unity TMP asset, I just went back into those button inspectors and set them to use the default font.

I'll let you know in a bit if that camera setup solves all my URP problems.

Billy4184 likes this.
  5. alloplastic

alloplastic

Similar question: I'm using HDRP and considering using this asset. The above looks like good guidance for working through the camera issues. My only question relates to the number of custom shaders. I could probably infer this from the package contents, but they're not showing up in the store.

I can live without the shaders mentioned so far:

* holograms of enemies/targets
    * shield effects

Is any other major feature dependent on a custom shader? For my needs, mainly I'm thinking about the radar.

6. Billy4184

Billy4184

Hi! The 3D radar blue sphere effect uses a subshader of the hologram shader, so it won't work in HDRP, but this in no way affects any of the 3D radar or target box functionality - everything is all sprites and standard Unity UI stuff.

There's a cylindrical effect shader used in one of the demos that represents where the player can enter or exit a ship, but again it's not necessary at all for the functionality to work and you can replace with whatever you like.

That's all there is that'll be affected by HDRP.

Also, the multiple camera setup is not a necessity, I have set it up that way only because I wanted the UI to be affected by FOV in cockpit view but not in chase view. Nothing requires it to be that way.

7. alloplastic

alloplastic

Excellent. Thanks for the quick reply. Sounds like the few config steps are a small price to pay for the amount of time this kit will likely save me. I think I'll dive in and see how it goes. :)

Billy4184 likes this.
  8. Billy4184

Billy4184

I'll help you sort out any issues.

9. Billy4184

Billy4184

Hey everyone, new tutorial video showing everything about how to integrate your character controller with the Space Combat Kit, and easily jump in and out of your ship!

JFI66 likes this.
  10. Billy4184

Billy4184

Technobober and JFI66 like this.
  11. Billy4184

Billy4184

Hey everyone, I've added a new tutorial video showing how to add rumbles/shakes to give your game that extra punch!

If you haven't already, grab your copy of the Space Combat Kit at 50% off! Sale will be ending in only a few days, don't miss out!

12. Billy4184

Billy4184

Hey everyone, check out this new shield damage shader I've been working on! Let me know what you think!

By the way, if you haven't already, grab your copy of the Space Combat Kit at 50% off! Sale will be ending in only a couple of days, don't miss out!

JFI66 likes this.
  13. Billy4184

Billy4184

Hey everyone, check out this overview of the new energy shield, giving you tons more customization for visual damage effects in your game!

By the way, if you haven't already, grab your copy of the Space Combat Kit at 50% off! Sale is almost over.

gearedgeek, BetaMark and JFI66 like this.
  14. wolvewilson

wolvewilson

hi! where can i play a demo of the space combat kit?

15. Billy4184

Billy4184

wolvewilson likes this.
  16. wolvewilson

wolvewilson

thks a lot!!! i´ll test

17. Altair12121

Altair12121

Billy4184 likes this.
  18. Billy4184

Billy4184

19. Hungry-Lion

Hungry-Lion

Hello and have a nice new year!

So I had SCK but also got Vehicle combat radar recently cause I built my own controllers and stuff (prefer to understand what I am doing) but now I want to build my own radar system and I want to start by yours.

1st the 3d radar(orb in the center) is purple and its shader won't update to URP(using unity 2019.4 LTS), I can't find a second camera in your demo scene so it works diferently from what I am used to make?

2nd How do you define your lock on zone? Can I make it smaller or larger? Can I UI define it like a circle or a square in the middle? Where only if the enemy is within that circle/square then you can lock them with a missile/whatever.

20. Billy4184

Billy4184

Hi! If you have SCK, the radar system can be used separately, and is more developed than Vehicle Combat Radar. So I recommend using that instead.

There isn't a URP update for SCK right now. The radar sphere shader and target hologram shader need to be recreated in Shader Graph (the kit doesn't require either of them to work) and the layered camera setup will have to be set up differently, see my post above.

The lock zone is circular (defined by an angle from the forward axis) which is set on the TargetLocker component, which can be found on the MissileWeapon prefab. Right now there's no way of defining that shape, but you can do it by getting a reference to the following camera, getting the viewport coordinates of the target position, and checking if it's inside a specific Rect.

The UI doesn't adapt to the locking angle, that's something you'll have to set up by hand.

Hungry-Lion and JFI66 like this.
  21. antsonthetree

antsonthetree

Couple of questions:
    1. What happened to the cockpit view? I can't seem to find it in the fighter demo.
    2. Did you ever do a newtonian flight model? If so how can I enable that?

Thanks!

Last edited: Sep 14, 2021
  22. Billy4184

Billy4184

Hi Jake,

I just don't have a good cockpit model right now. But all you have to do is add a new camera view for interior, it's very straightforward.

As for the Newtonian flight model, can you describe exactly what you want to be able to do?

23. antsonthetree

antsonthetree

@Billy4184 Hey man thanks for the fast response on the Vehicle Camera. I will give that a shot today. As for the newtonian stuff no worries. I realized it's all rigidbody so I can just tweak the drag settings and get what I want.

JFI66 and Billy4184 like this.
  24. antsonthetree

antsonthetree

Question - when I increase the speed of my ship a lot then it zooms out way in front of the camera. I've looked all over and cannot find a setting that keeps the camera close to my very fast ship. Where do I change this?

25. Billy4184

Billy4184

You would adjust the settings on the CameraViewTarget for the exterior view. This is found in the hierarchy of the ship, under CameraViewTargets.

If your ship is warping, I would suggest using the Field Of View of the camera to create the sensation of speed.

antsonthetree likes this.
  26. Dante20011

Dante20011

Is there any easy way to heal the shields after they're destroyed? I've been using the following to heal a ship completely
    Code (CSharp):
    2.             List<HealthGenerator> lModules = new List<HealthGenerator>(vehicle.GetComponentsInChildren<HealthGenerator>());
    4. foreach (HealthGenerator module in lModules)
    5.             {
    6.                 module.SetModuleState(ModuleState.Activated);
    7.                 module.Heal(new List<float>() { 999999999999, 999999999999 }, module.transform.up, vehicle.Agent);
    8.                 module.SetModuleState(ModuleState.Activated);
    9.             }
    I've also tried with

Code (CSharp):
    2.            List<HealthGenerator> lModules = new List<HealthGenerator>(vehicle.GetComponentsInChildren<HealthGenerator>());
    4. foreach (HealthGenerator module in lModules)
    5.             {
    6.                 module.SetHealth(1);
    7.                 module.AddHealth(999999);
    8.             }
    but the behavior is erratic after that (shield fixture collider never go away even after reaching 0hp)

Edit: I had a bug somewhere else, I left it like this!

Code (CSharp):
    1.             foreach (HealthGenerator module in lModules)
    2.             {
    3.                 module.SetHealth(1);
    4.                 module.AddHealth(999999);
    5.             }
    7.             List<Health> lHealthFixtureModules = new List<Health>(vehicle.GetComponentsInChildren<Health>());
    8.             foreach (Health module in lHealthFixtureModules)
    9.             {
    10.                 module.ResetSubsystem();
    11.             }

Last edited: Feb 27, 2021
  27. Billy4184

Billy4184

That looks like a quite old version. Is it possible to update to the latest one?

28. Hungry-Lion

Hungry-Lion

Hello,

So I have been fidling with the Radar Component, managed to do some stuff I wanted but I want a certain enemy to be "Stealth" and I want him to be depicted on the radar only when he is below 1000 units away from the player, any ideas how to go about it? Which script should I check?

Also I imported this into a new project, a lot has changed, I see you have add on folders with some of the main components stuff in, If I took the radar component folder and transfered it on another project would the set up work? I see stand alone documentation too.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited: Mar 11, 2021
  29. Billy4184

Billy4184

I will add this in a future update, but for now I recommend adding a variable such as 'MaxTrackableRange' to the Trackable component, set it to 1000, and then check the 'MaxTrackableRange' in the IsTrackable function of the Tracker component.

The idea is to keep things as modular as possible, but I'm not always able to completely separate things. In the case of the radar it may work, but I can't guarantee it, depending on what you want to do.

Hungry-Lion likes this.
  30. Gaevs

Gaevs

Hello, i'm very interested in the SCK, but i want to ask.. there is support for manouvering jets?, kinda like SpaceX Dragon capsule uses to correct it's position in space??

31. Billy4184

Billy4184

Hi! The ships use a rigid body with forces applied, right now there is no setup of multiple thrusters. But the way that controls are set up you can definitely implement your own thrust control if you wish :)

32. Gaevs

Gaevs

Thanks for the fast response!, what im trying to implement is that when you move the ship, truster fires from the wings when moving.

is more of a visual thing

Last edited: Mar 15, 2021
  33. Billy4184

Billy4184

@Gaevs that would be easier, but the space kit has no feature of that kind right now.

34. Billy4184

Billy4184

Hey everyone, the massive weapon update has just arrived on the store! Check out this video tutorial to find out everything you need to know about creating and using weapons in your game.

- Create all kinds of weapons in seconds using the new Wizards.
    - Massively simplified, easy to understand weapons design.
    - Fire twin weapons sequentially like a Star Wars ship.
    - Easily add resource consumption (e.g. ammo) and resource production (e.g. heat) to weapons.
    - Create enemy turrets in seconds that fire at your ship.
    - Add turrets to your ship that follow the cursor aim, or have them fire at targets independently.
    - Solid framework to build your own weapon types on top of.
    - Thorough explanation and demonstration.

Grab the Space Combat Kit now and get a cracking start on your game!

JFI66 likes this.
  35. Billy4184

Billy4184

Hey everyone, to celebrate the weapons update, I've re-done the lowpoly space fighter model and cockpit, let me know what you think!

SpaceFighter_FrontAngle.jpg SpaceFighter_RearAngle.jpg SpaceFighter_CockpitAngle.jpg SpaceFighter_CockpitFocus.jpg Spacefighter_Cockpit_Action.jpg

36. Billy4184

Billy4184

Aaand check out this monster replacing the carrier ..

FrontAngle.jpg Rear.jpg RearAngle.jpg Front.jpg FlightDeck.jpg

37. Billy4184

Billy4184

Beautyful exhausts for the Space Combat Kit!

CapShipExhaust.jpg SpaceFighterExhaust.jpg

MorpheusXI and JFI66 like this.
  38. Billy4184

Billy4184

Polishing the third person controller for the space fighter!

JFI66 and limo like this.
  39. Billy4184

Billy4184

MorpheusXI and JFI66 like this.
  40. Billy4184

Billy4184

Hey everyone, the Space Combat Kit just went 50% off for the Unity Asset Store's Spring Sale! Grab yours now and get a massive head start on your dream space game :)

kosmiker and JFI66 like this.
  41. Billy4184

Billy4184

Hey everyone, the latest massive update to the Space Combat Kit is live on the store!

The two key inclusions in this update are an improved third person controller for space fighters, as well as brand-new models and effects, including detailed asteroid, space fighter, and carrier models, awesome explosions and exhaust effects, and improved graphics in all the demo scenes.

Take a look for yourself with this brand new trailer for the Space Combat Kit! And don't forget, it's currently 50% OFF for the Spring Sale, so now's the time to grab yourself a copy!

MorpheusXI, runningbird and JFI66 like this.
  42. ActivePrime

ActivePrime

Nice, one more package added to my arsenal

Billy4184 likes this.
  43. Gaevs

Gaevs

Ok, i got it yesterday... about the installation, i want to use this with HDRP, but i got some problems with textures, is there any proper instruccions for installation on 2020.3?, do i need to create a special proyect?, thanks!

44. Billy4184

Billy4184

Hi! There isn't HDRP support explicitly right now, so the shield and hologram shaders won't convert, but the rest is pretty much a question of converting the materials over which should be fairly easy to do.

Which specific materials are you having trouble with?

45. Gaevs

Gaevs

Some shaders, and the shield an hologram cannot be exported, i mean, pink colors, but now i know why!, no problem, jusr starting.. i want to use HDRP, because volumetric lighting on asteroid fields, you know, dust.. but thats ok, i'll find another way to do that, thanks!

46. Ender31415

Ender31415

Is this asset still working for Unity 2020.3.3f1?

I am running with the standard rendering pipeline, no URP or HDRP.

I am trying to run the demo scenes, and i am running into some issues.

When trying to run scene SCK_Basics_Flying

None of the inputs seem to work: esc, wasd, and mouse do nothing.

Also for that scene i am getting many warnings of this type:
    There are 2 event systems in the scene. Please ensure there is always exactly one event system in the scene
    UnityEngine.EventSystems.EventSystem:Update () (at C:/Program Files/Unity/Hub/Editor/2020.3.3f1/Editor/Data/Resources/PackageManager/BuiltInPackages/com.unity.ugui/Runtime/EventSystem/EventSystem.cs:398)

I tried most of the other demo scenes and input also doesn't work...

Also the exhaust particle system alpha is having an issue, shown in the screen shot attached, looks the in run mode (in the game tab i mean).

Screenshot 2021-04-17 220554.jpg

Thanks for any assistance,
    -Ryan

Last edited: Apr 18, 2021
  47. Billy4184

Billy4184

Hey Ryan, thanks for purchasing the kit!

First, please remove the following highlighted event system from the scene, it shouldn't be there and will be removed in the next update. The only Event System should be the one under the SceneObjects object.

upload_2021-4-18_15-44-3.png

That may fix the input problem. If not, try restarting your project. A number of customers have had an issue where Unity's Input System requires a restart even when it is already set to 'Both' in the player settings, it seems like a bug on Unity's side at this point.

The black exhaust issue is because Unity 2020's texture import settings are broken and setting Alpha Source to 'From Gray Scale' does not work as it should. I just became aware of this and I'll have to reimport the exhaust textures with alpha already added. This will be done very soon.

Let me know how things go!

48. Ender31415

Ender31415

It looks like the issue with the Input, was a conflict with the InControl package I had installed in the project. I removed it and reset what it did to the project's InputManager.asset. Then redid what SCK does to that asset, and input works.

Also getting rid of that second event system as you indicated makes the warning I mentioned go away.

As for the particle system's texture not being imported correctly, I took a look at the texture ExhaustParticleGlow.pnp, it looks like that image is RGBA 16-bits per channel (64-bits per pixel), I converted it to just RGB 24-bit, then the import (using the Alpha Source: From Gray Scale) works, and the particle system looks right. It looks like this version of unity has an issue with RGBA 64-bit images when using alpha from gray scale, but not RGB24-bit.

-Ryan

49. Billy4184

Billy4184

Hey Ryan, glad to hear you got the input working, and thanks for the heads up on the texture type! I'll check that out.

50. Gaevs

Gaevs

This forum is great, i was having the same problems (same version of unity), so now i got a lot of information to work with, thanks!!

Billy4184 likes this.