Search Unity

Third Party Some kickstart help with photon please!

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by Udyrfrykte, Jul 14, 2011.

1. Udyrfrykte

Udyrfrykte

So, I'm fiddling around with networking, and have looked at smartfox and photon, and decided on photon.

I'm a competent programmer, at least when it comes to the C# language in itself.

I don't like copying and modifying code if that means not understanding how it all works.
    What I'd like is a Photon tutorial that strips it as bare as can be on the client side so I can truly understand the code I'm working with.
    That, or a tutorial that takes you one step at a time in building it yourself.

I've kicked open the RealTimeDemo and got it working, but when looking at the code I don't know which end to start. I've also glanced over the documentation and understand the concept of PhotonPeer and LitePeer class.

I ask here not to be lazy, but it's just that a good answer here can save me many hours of work. Thanks!

2. Tomme

Tomme

Have a present! :)

http://pastebin.com/iZcG94UK
    Please ignore my very bad comments, I have a basic understanding of Photon and what I type in my comments I know is "kinda" wrong, but it makes sence to me

This is a very simple chat application using Photon, based of there Hello World tutorial. It uses pure client and no server alterations, from this I expanded it to send object positions rather than chat messages and viola! I had a simple multiplayer game

3. Kaiserludi

Kaiserludi

4. Udyrfrykte

Udyrfrykte

Ah, thanks to both of you!

The first link you both gave supplement eachother nicely, just what I was looking for.
    Let's see if I can get any wiser! :)