Search Unity

Unity's version control component has been upgraded to Plastic SCM.

[Solved] Diff

Discussion in 'Unity Collaborate' started by RepoGames, Nov 27, 2016.

1. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

No problem!
    We'd like to overhaul our handling of diff tools so that it's easier for users to add their own diff tools instead of selecting from a defined assortment of them. At the moment that's still a bit of a ways away on our roadmap. But if more users request the option to use their own diff tools with Collab then it will help to push that feature earlier on our roadmap.

Thaina and almaione-sdn like this.
  2. almaione-sdn

almaione-sdn

ok, where I can vote for that feature request?

3. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Just posting here is good enough. We keep tabs on how often users comment or like posts in a feature request thread so that we can consider them when we update the roadmap. :) You could also visit feedback.unity3d.com to make a feature request there.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
    Thaina and almaione-sdn like this.
  4. Thaina

Thaina

I want to use vscode diff. And please open the API for communicate with unity collaborate if possible

Epic_Cube and almaione-sdn like this.
  5. blackrock-serenatan

blackrock-serenatan

Hi @ryanc-unity, I have P4Merge installed but Unity is not able to detect it for me to setup to work with Collaborate.
    When goto Preferences->External Tools->Revision Control Diff/Merge, P4Merge is not in the drop down.
    I have recently upgraded my Unity to 2018.1, is there any way to tell Unity where my P4Merge is installed?

6. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Hi @blackrock-serenatan. At the moment, Collaborate does not support the use of P4Merge as a diff/merge tool, which is why it's not showing up in the dropdown. We do plan to update our diff tool support by allowing users to add any diff tool they wish to use but unfortunately it isn't a priority feature at this time. In the meantime, feel free to use the following supported diff tools:

OS X:
    • Apple File Merge
    Windows:
    • WinMerge
    OS X and Windows:
    • Beyond Compare 4
    • SourceGear DiffMerge
    • TkDiff

7. SergeantBiscuits

SergeantBiscuits

Any update on TortoiseMerge support? Seems pretty jank to have it 'technically' supported but completely unusable.

8. eddyb

eddyb

I'd just like to +1 the request to be able to inspect the detailed code diffs for any given changelist in the history, even if it's only on the website. Not being able to see what your collaborators have changed is *really* limiting. Makes it hard to do code reviews, understand why things are the way they are, when/where/how a regression bug crept in, etc. Like working in the dark... Please add this!

9. eelstork

eelstork

Okay just so you can keep tabs on feature requests... As it is it looks like I'm going to end up reflecting updates in a local git repo to be able to do code reviews. Also... branching... anywhere on the road map (a community discussion around how to branch and merge neatly would be awesome, it's not like git is perfect either, or had a sensible learning curve).
    So, in summary, my wish-list:
    - Diffs to enable code reviews (online web UI with unified diffs would be perfectly fine to get started with - as it is diffing files one by one, even just for own code, is terrible at least with Apple Merge takes ages to load each file in)
    - Branching

10. asperatology

asperatology

6 months later, it's still "technically recommended" in the Unity External Tools description.

11. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Hi @asperatology and @SergeantBiscuits! If you're referring to the documentation in https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/Preferences.html, that's referring to the tools that specifically the Asset Server supports. Collaborate supports many of the same tools, but not all (as evidenced with TortoiseMerge). Collaborate's supported diff tools are listed earlier in this thread. If you're referring to different documentation that specifically states which diff tools Collaborate supports then please let me know so that they can be updated.

We still have it on our roadmap to make it possible to add any diff tool that you'd like to use with Collaborate but that is still far in the future for us.

12. aklgupta

aklgupta

Hey,
    Noticed that after upgrading to Unity 2019.3.7f1, I can no longer use WinMerge 64-bit. I am forced to use the 32 bit version of WinDiff, which seems quite a weird restriction.
    Also, WinMerge is available as a portable application which allows adding registry however that too is not supported (I guess Unity looks for the file instead of registry?)

Also, would love to know if there's any update on supporting custom Diff tools instead of selecting from a drop-down menu. The current selection if quite limited.

mbarnes-mv likes this.
  13. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Hi @aklgupta, thank you for bringing that limitation to our attention. We do still plan to add support for custom diff tools but unfortunately we don't have any updates at this time.

14. aklgupta

aklgupta

Sure, Np.

Also, these points just occurred to me:
    • Does Unity has any plans for making their own diff tool? External diff tools are not great when it comes to scenes or prefabs, however, Unity already understand them, so maybe making a diff tools inside Unity might make it easier to see diff and resolve conflicts.
    • Is there any API that can enable us to write a custom inspector or custom editor to see diffs?

15. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

• Yes, we currently have a different team that's working on our own diff tool geared specifically for resolving conflicts in scenes and prefabs.
    • This new diff tool will have a public-facing API that will allow the UI to be customized, but it is still in the early phases of development.

16. aklgupta

aklgupta

That's amazing.
    Is there any date set for when will it be out? Or available as a preview?

17. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Not at this time, but we are hard at work on it and look forward to revealing more details about it in the near future.

18. aklgupta

aklgupta

Fair enough.
    I really look forward to when it's out.

Ryan-Unity likes this.
  19. NunoDomingues

NunoDomingues

Hi Everyone.
    Could somebody help me with the "revision Control Diff/Merge" . where do I install the Sourcegear DiffMerge?!
    That's because, I need to know the default installation location, and I'm sorry, but i don't where it is.

Thank you

Attached Files:

20. brijc

brijc

THIS!
    Thank you! I thought I purchased beyond compare on mac for nothing, haha.

21. mbarnes-mv

mbarnes-mv

When is this going to be fixed?

22. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

WinMerge is supported on 2019.4.

23. DurbsDev

DurbsDev

Ok I just figured out how to use Visual Studio 2019 for Diff in Unity 2020.1:

In preferences, external tools, revision control diff/merge, choose Custom Tool.

In Tool Path set the path to devenv.exe:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2019\Professional\Common7\IDE\devenv.exe
    (change Professional if you are using Community or Enterprise or Preview)

In Two-way command line set: /Diff #LEFT #RIGHT

The following docs will help with setting up Three-way and Merge if you need these:
    https://docs.unity3d.com/2020.2/Documentation/Manual/Preferences.html#External-Tools
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/vi...nce/devenv-command-line-switches?view=vs-2019

Thanks Unity and @ryanc-unity for custom tool support! This will make a lot of people happy.

@almaione-sdn just in case you have not seen this yet.

firozjokhi and Ryan-Unity like this.
  24. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Hi @arko2, can you go into more detail about which icon you're referring to when you're seeing a conflict? Is it the red icon you see after pulling changes that result in a merge conflict or the orange softlock icon that you see on scenes and prefabs that others have unpublished changes in? Could you attach a screenshot to show which icon you're referring to?

As for being able to see what changes have been made in a script by your teammates before pulling them, Plastic SCM offers this ability and offers seamless integration into the Unity Editor for those on your team that prefer to work exclusively in Unity.

25. Skotrap7

Skotrap7

Any thoughts on how to get Unity to detect that it has been installed? My dropdown is empty even after closing unity, installing winmerge, opening unity.

26. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Hi @Skotrap7, when installing WinMerge do you place it in the default install location in the C:/ drive? Unity checks very specific install locations for the diff tools (until 2020.1, where custom tools can be specified). You are following the right steps of installing the tool and restarting Unity. The dropdown list of available diff tools only updates when Unity starts up.

27. Skotrap7

Skotrap7

Thanks, no, not in the default location. I'll reinstall.

28. Skotrap7

Skotrap7

I finally got around to reinstalling WinMerge (also updated to 2019.4.11f1) and my drop down still doesn't find winmerge.

29. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

@Skotrap7, I'm sorry it hasn't popped up yet. Do you have it installed in the following location?
    C:\Program Files (x86)\WinMerge

30. Skotrap7

Skotrap7

Huh, looks like I installed the 64-bit one. It is in C:\Program Files\WinMerge instead of (x86)

31. andrewmoore01

andrewmoore01

Causes of Quickbooks H202- When the hosting configuration setting is not correct, when QB file setting blocks to access the company file, when the setting of DNS is improper or incomplete, when the company file is located in the multi-user mode then you are not able to work with company file, when.ND file is corrupted or damaged, when QBCFMonitor and QuickBooksDBXX services are not running, when the Host’s IP address is not available to QuickBooks Desktop, etc.