Search Unity

1. If you have experience with import & exporting custom (.unitypackage) packages, please help complete a survey (open until May 15, 2024).
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[SOLVED] best way to debug impulses?

Discussion in 'Cinemachine' started by jamespaterson, Jan 7, 2020.

1. jamespaterson

jamespaterson

Hi,

Cinemachine is great. But I always have a lot of trouble getting impulses to work (although so far I have always succeeded in the end!). At the moment I am using a cinemachine timeline track with a number of cameras and I just cant seem to get the impulse to be received. Is there a way to debug impulse responses, for example to log to console which cameras receive an impulse?

Many thanks in advance!

2. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

Look at the code for CinemachineImpulseListener. Make a custom script, based on that, that responds to impulses by emitting a log message instead of shaking the camera. The key Impulse API call is this, to get the impulse signal:
    CinemachineImpulseManager.Instance.GetImpulseAt()

Unless you have a lot of different impulse channels, the problem usually has to do with a limited radius on the signal emitted, and the camera being outside that radius. I would look in that direction if you find that cameras aren't receiving signals.

3. jamespaterson

jamespaterson

Thanks for your help i will try this out ASAP.

4. jamespaterson

jamespaterson

Thanks again for your help. As usual the problem was with my configuration, not cinemachine. If anyone is interested, i attach the little cinemachine extension I knocked up to output debug to console.

Code (CSharp):
    3. using UnityEngine;
    4. namespace Cinemachine
    5. {
    6.     /// <summary>
    7.     /// An extension for Cinemachine Virtual Camera which listens for CinemachineImpulse
    8.     /// signals on the specified channels, and outputs debug information to console when received
    9.     /// </summary>
    10.     [SaveDuringPlay]
    11.     [AddComponentMenu("")] // Hide in menu
    12. #if UNITY_2018_3_OR_NEWER
    13.     [ExecuteAlways]
    14. #else
    15.     [ExecuteInEditMode]
    16. #endif
    17.     public class CinemachineImpulseDebugListener : CinemachineExtension
    18.     {
    19.         /// <summary>
    20.         /// Impulse events on channels not included in the mask will be ignored.
    21.         /// </summary>
    22.         [Tooltip("Impulse events on channels not included in the mask will be ignored.")]
    23.         [CinemachineImpulseChannelProperty]
    24.         public int m_ChannelMask = 1;
    26.         /// <summary>
    27.         /// Enable this to perform distance calculation in 2D (ignore Z).
    28.         /// </summary>
    29.         [Tooltip("Enable this to perform distance calculation in 2D (ignore Z)")]
    30.         public bool m_Use2DDistance = false;
    32.         protected override void PostPipelineStageCallback(
    33.             CinemachineVirtualCameraBase vcam,
    34.             CinemachineCore.Stage stage, ref CameraState state, float deltaTime)
    35.         {
    36.             if (stage == CinemachineCore.Stage.Aim)
    37.             {
    38.                 Vector3 impulsePos = Vector3.zero;
    39.                 Quaternion impulseRot = Quaternion.identity;
    40.                 if (CinemachineImpulseManager.Instance.GetImpulseAt(
    41.                     state.FinalPosition, m_Use2DDistance, m_ChannelMask, out impulsePos, out impulseRot))
    42.                 {
    43.                     Debug.Log("CinemachineImpulseDebugListener on: "+gameObject.name+" got impulse"+Quaternion.Angle(impulseRot,Quaternion.identity).ToString("F5")+" "+impulsePos.magnitude.ToString("F5"));
    44.                 }
    45.             }
    46.         }
    47.     }
    48. }

Gregoryl likes this.