Search Unity

1. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Smartfox and number of users.

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by Antonios, Mar 5, 2009.

1. Antonios

Antonios

I have tried the Sf examples and they are great. Suffice to say that I am going to use for an app. However, I was wondering the maximum number or concurrent users. Is there a limitation from Sf as well from Unity3D?

2. Thomas-Lund

Thomas-Lund

A tough question to answer precisely.

There are no numbers in terms of how much Unity or my SFS API han handle - simply havent gotten to that (yet?).

On the server side, there are some whitepapers on the SFS pages:

http://www.smartfoxserver.com/whitepapers/benchmarks/

Its super duper game specific what you ask for, but that can at least give you a few numbers.

In short: thousands up to tens of thousands concurrent users as a maximum on a single dedicated server as a maximum.

If you factor in things like EC2 setups and clustering for the server side, then that number might go up even higher without major expenses.

3. Antonios

Antonios

Thanks for the fast reply. I guess I should factor in the speed of the internet connection, server side, as well what information I am sending to the players, transformation, physics etc. Of course a trial will be best, at least an emulation.

4. Thomas-Lund

Thomas-Lund

Nothing beats a test of your game with your code and your network protocol.

Anything else is pure speculation. If you are making a turn based game with a client sending a turn RPC every 30 seconds vs. a real time FPS with constant transform synchronization - there are worlds in difference on the server power/bandwidth needs.

But at least the document gives you some pointers.

And honestly - if you have 20k simultaneous users, you can afford some serious hardware :)