Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Slow Editor (Response, Asset Creation, Minimize/Maximize)

Discussion in '2017.3 Beta' started by Freznosis, Nov 9, 2017.

1. Freznosis

Freznosis

I apologize if this has been posted already, but I couldn't find anything on it and it's been bothering me while testing a copy of my project on the 2017.3 beta. I've been switching back and forth between 5.6 and 2017.3 testing some things out and I noticed while overall game performance has improved since 2017.2's drop. The editor performance has gotten worse with each release/beta and I haven't had this happen on previous beta's so I found it a bit weird.

In 2017.2 and 2017.3 the editor has some navigation problems such as..

• Minimizing and maximizing a script takes about 1-2 seconds, the editor will hang/freeze during this period.
    • Switching to another window (Internet,3D Program, etc) and then trying to switch back to the Unity window will fail. In order to get back to Unity you must wait for Windows to give you a "ding", this is the same sound Windows makes when it fails to delete a file. Once this happens you must immediately try and switch back to Unity or else you have to wait again. (5.6 is instant)
    • Switching between tabs is slow and sometimes doesn't work until you click some other UI element.
    • Duplicating an asset (material, mesh, etc) takes about 5-10 seconds. (5.6 can duplicate almost instantly)
    • Changing scenes is very slow compared to 5.6.

I wanted to also see if anyone else is having these problems? This all happens on completely empty projects so there is no repo to give out seeing as it's editor level and not cause by user scripts. I can take video of all of this happening for any staff just in case.

mred-tcg and MrEsquire like this.
  2. Muuuuo

Muuuuo

Just to make sure you're not running out of memory which would cause disk swapping or you're not running out of disk space/having projects on a slow external drive or something?

3. charlesb_rm

charlesb_rm

4. Freznosis

Freznosis

Hi,

Thank you for the reply. I do not use Window's Defender, but I do use Malware Bytes. I tried disabling and completely killing the process and there is no effect. Unity 5.6 seems to play fine but 2017 is still lagging behind whether it's disabled or not.

My computer is running 64GB of DDR4 ram and all my projects are stored on a 1TB SSD seperate from the OS and also a seperate cache SSD for maximum performance.

5. charlesb_rm

charlesb_rm

Can you try to disable Auto Refresh in the Editor Preferences to see if it will fix the lag issue? Then, you'll need to press Ctrl+R to manually refresh.

eDmitriy and Kirsche like this.
  6. storylineteam

storylineteam

The problem still exists in 2017.3.b9 but it's slightly better

here is my report in a previous topic:

The editor in this version is completely broken.
    The problem is caused by the Editor Refocus/Refresh Process
    By profiling the editor, Throttle MainMessageLoop takes multiple seconds,
    Editor-prev.log :Refresh: elapses 9.285138 seconds (Nothing changed)

Generally it takes more then 10sec to refresh when switching from another app back to the Editor, making it impossible to work.

A temporary solution will be to Disable Auto Refresh in the editor Preferences, it will fix the Lag issue but again you need to Press Ctrl+R to manually refresh, or rebuild inside Visual Studio using Ctrl+Shift+B before switching back to the editor...

7. Freznosis

Freznosis

Disabling Auto Refresh has fixed this as you both mentioned above. Not sure exactly why it's doing that but good to know the problem has been pinned down. I will be sticking to Unity 5.6 for my current projects until I know all these performance and editor problems have been ironed out. Not a good idea to upgrade mid-project anyways.

Thanks!

charlesb_rm likes this.
  8. Ukitakemalcom

Ukitakemalcom

I have these problems too... but I cannot disable the Auto Refresh because my project uses Collab... I also have Windows Defender disabled in W10.