Search Unity

1. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity is excited to announce that we will be collaborating with TheXPlace for a summer game jam from June 13 - June 19. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Skin passing throught clothing, please help fast

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by dreartuty22, May 14, 2024.

1. dreartuty22

dreartuty22

So I have this models made by artist in blender and I am trying to use them in my unity game. The game has rather simple graphics so i told him not to make uvs or anything, all the skin is ine color so I can't do that transparent map thing to have under cloth parts transparent. Is there a way to fix this in unity only, without other blender interventions??

2. DevDunk

DevDunk

Please elaborate on what you want and add screenshots.
    'that transparent map thing' is confusing. For texturing you need UVs

3. kdgalla

kdgalla

There is no way that I know of. Any of the solutions I've seen for this problem require special preparation of the meshes involved and would either require re-topology, skin-weight painting or masking, or a combination of these.

You could try various cloth skinning, skin-weight painting, or procedural cloth simulation from the asset store, but most likely you'll need to crank-up your vertex count to get those to work, so you'll probably need to edit your meshes anyway.

As you've already pointed-out, alpha masking requires uvs. The alternative is to separate your character mesh into pieces and disable the pieces that you want to hide.

Are separate clothing articles really a requirement for your game? They're a pain to work with and I've never been successful at it unless the clothes were very loose-fitting. I would avoid this whole mess if at all possible.

dreartuty22 likes this.
  4. neginfinity

neginfinity

Nope. Generally games remove geometry from under clothes because of this reason. Or clothes are located at significant offset from the skin.

Implementing this mechanism in unity is possible, but is prohibitively time consuming. It is easier to just tweak model in blender.

5. dreartuty22

dreartuty22

Thanks a lot to all of you, I ll do the mesh division and disable the hidden parts of the body or make them transparent

6. kdgalla

kdgalla

Be aware that transparency can have a per-pixel performance impact, even if the surface is completely invisible. Alpha-blending, in particular.

7. DrMeatball

DrMeatball

kdgalla likes this.