Search Unity

Single exe for multiple rooms

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by atmuc, Jan 10, 2016.

1. atmuc

atmuc

i will build my game for windows and deploy it to a vps on internet. running separate exe file for each room will consume too much memory. my game is turnbased so single instance can handle 100 rooms.

for each connection there will be a player object on the server and this player will be created on other clients. how can i limit this creation? i want players A,B,C to see their player objects like they in a private room and players D,E,F to see their player object. how can i do that?

2. seanr

seanr

Unity Technologies

3. GraphXCreations

GraphXCreations

Will this work like the old legacy unity networking used to have "Network groups" feature?

because the way i see it , it currently only does area of interest and not network groups, right?

4. Severos

Severos

5. robertono

robertono

6. seanr

seanr

Unity Technologies

UNet does not support LoadSceneAdditive, in particular loading the same scene multiple times when it contains scene objects with NetworkIdentities.

7. atmuc

atmuc

Single scene is ok for me. i can handle 100 rooms in single scene for a turn based game. as saying room i mean a group of players, i do not mean real isolated room. if i use network visibility, will it supply security for me? i do not want to send one room's info to other room.

8. Severos

Severos

Do you mean if I write a server in UNet I can't open more than 1 scene at a time? what if server have multiple maps? will I have to run 1 at a time only? how would something like an mmo work with a single scene???

it's tricky to use network visibility, you can make players not see each others, but lets say you have colliders, they'll hit each others normally since they all exist in the same place on your server, it's just that the client doesn't see it.

9. clever

clever

Also working on a turn based game with multiple rooms and having the same dilemma, currently using Network Groups to emulate rooms but the new UNET doesn't let you do this easily. I'll have to think about how NEtwork Visibility might work. The other way is to use Network Messages instead of spawning players which I'm leaning towards currently.

10. Alfy00

Alfy00

Did you come right with this?

I'm interested in doing something similar with PUN, but I found when I created and joined a room on the same scene, it automatically disconnected the previous room the scene was connected to.

11. atmuc

atmuc

network visibility can manage players on client side. now i create single player as local player. there are many players on server side. so it solved my problem.