Search Unity

Simple multiplayer with hamachi

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by Jurwane, Mar 3, 2017.

1. Jurwane

Jurwane

Hi ! Im a beginner in unity networking and i was wondering how does multiplayer with hamachi or open port work ? Do i need to do something special or unity network manager can handle it ? Do i use networkmanager matchmaker ? What port do i need to use ? What function ? Thanks :)

EDIT : For exemple if you know "Magicite" it's a 2d game made with unity with multiplayer features and i want to make a multiplayer system like it

Last edited: Mar 3, 2017
  2. srylain

srylain

Hamachi is software that makes an attempt to create online LAN networks, correct? All you need to do is make your game work on LAN, and you'll be fine. The default NetworkManager class can create a LAN game by itself.

But just to make sure, you know that Hamachi is awful right? It's helpful for old stuff that only supports LAN, but anything modern would be much better off supporting online play as well.

3. dingaloo12

dingaloo12

Late to the party, but is hamachi really awful? I've used it in a few games, and at least out of box (for instance, when you're relatively new to mirror and/or you're very early in your project) would it not be a good method to get things rolling?